Etherington Baril Ridge Route

Etherington Baril Ridge Route is a 8.0 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Longview, Alberta, Canada that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.0 km Elevation Gain: 482 m Route Type: Loop

I’ve been going to Etherington Campground for years and always wanted to hike this trail. The scramble to the top was a lot tougher than I was expecting. Basically, you hike down the old road/snowmobile trail until you are right next to Baril Mountain, and then you hike up the side to the top ridge line of the mountain. There is no real path, just scramble up to the top. Once you are up top, it is a very nice view, worth the work up. The hike down is basically pick your trail as well, travelling throughout forest... I’d probably do it again, the view from up top is truly great.

I took a group of grade 9's up to the top of Three Cairns. The wildflowers on the upper slopes in June were amazing. The views of the surrounding mountains were also impressive. As logged by others, we used the ridge to the West of Three Cairns and the adjoining saddle to make our approach. I find it a longer but a more manageable ascent than the one indicated on the base map. It does not require any scrambling. There is not much of a marked trail, kind of a find-your-own-path. I'be hiked this trail twice and find I am learning and liking it better each go! Definitely worth it if you are willing to do a bit of trail blazing.

Sun Oct 15 2017