East End Of Rundle (EEOR)

East End Of Rundle (EEOR) is a 5.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

5.8 km
870 m

October 11th 2018:

Such a good hike. Snow covered trails, kind of slippery at the beginning, cramps and poles recommended. starts off pretty steep, a bit of a slog, last 30 mins of the hike to the summit is slow and arduous, but at least the snow is packed and easily followed. moderate to difficult.

Ran this trail yesterday as an alternative to ha ling as it is still closed.

Trails are pretty good, some icy spots on the way up. I used crampons in these areas just to be safe, but doable with good quality hiking boots/trail runners. I Definitely needed to bring wind stopper pants though, my insulated tights were not enough near the summit. Amazingly clear views.

Did this at sunrise. Lost the trail on the way up. Got the what we thought was a fork and went left, should have stayed right. It was so dark when we started i only saw 1 blue square the way up. Saw them all the way down.

Great snow day peak while it's still just foot deep

Did this on Wednesday, still doable. Exhausting and dangerous but well worth it. Definitely a scramble hike. The last push to the peak is the most difficult and dangerous part. Take the left path going to the summit, it may look more challenging, but it is the safer way to get up and down from the peak. We also paid our respect to the women who lost her life on this hike by leaving our made shift hiking sticks on a pile of rocks beside the Ammo box at the summit.

Can be hard to keep track of the trail on the rocky parts, but it’s very hard to actually get lost. Be careful choosing a path up/down from the summit in the scree areas.

UNREAL views the whole way up. no warmup as it starts steep and stays steep but really enjoyed this hike. even got hit with a short 45min snowstorm at the top! solid leg burner but certainly worth the effort!

Wish this trail was closer to my home. It wasn’t easy to find and stay on the correct trail so we ended up blazing our own. Turned out to be more difficult than it could have been but we still loved it! When starting out, definitely go to the right and you’ll be on the correct trail. Seems like a common mistake.

Hard but rewarding! We got lost at the beginning (went left into the woods rather than up the rocks), but luckily turned around before we got too far and ran into more hikers who were making the same mistake. Together we all backtracked and eventually did find the right way. It’s not well marked until you get higher up, but you’ll know it when you’re there. Super rocky climb with lots of scrambling, but I loved it! The way back down wasn’t so bad either, despite being steep. Sadly I didn’t make it to the peak because my asthma started acting up, but we made it 90% (there and back) in about 3.5 hours.

First time doing a hike like this and really enjoyed the challenge. Made it about 90 percent of the way due to asthma getting in the way at higher altitudes. Took about 2.5 hours to get up and just a bit over an hour to descend.

Doable in 4-5 hours at a good pace, good hiking boots recommended if you want to make it to the summit. Great open view most of the way up. Have fun and enjoy!

Amazing view of Ha Ling from EEOR and the summit was spectacular. Log your ascent in the ammo box at the summit.

Amazing hike!!! Very demanding both physically and mentally. Diverse too with different scenes. Approximate time both ways is around 5 hours to the summit taking it calm.

Very nice hike, follow the blue painted squares. For the trail head there is a power line post with a trail sign saying EEOR on it and this is facing Canmore the other side says “trail” when you hit this you will come to a junction, stay right. We went left and it took us on a steep climb most of the way up. Coming down we followed the blue squares and the route that way was much easier. When you his the false summit definitely stick to the left side and go up to the summit. It is a safer route and the end view is amazing.

Nice, relatively easy scramble through the forest opens up to a rocky, loose and steep climb up to the meadow. Then the route splits into two final ascent options, I followed the route posted and went right, ended up on a steep, exposed scramble up to the very top. On the way down I took the better (safer) route down. I recommend people to take the left hand route unless you are keen for a potentially frightening scrambling experience!

July 17, 2018

Great trail. If you push right at the beginning of the trail you get to have a more challenging start with a scramble with some climbing which gets up in elevation faster. Took us 2 h to get to the top and an hour down. Great view overall

good scramble. super easy to get lost on the way down so try and bring a map. it took us 1.5 hours up and 2.5 down (we got pretty lost) overall great hike!

Breathtaking views but very, very easy to lose the trail on the way back down. We got incredibly lost in the scree near the top and it took us hours to find our way, with the sun going down - just pay attention on the way up, and your descent will be much easier.

Definitely one of the most challenging hike. Most part was scrambling. Last 1/4th gets very challenging. Getting down was very tricky and scary at couple of spots. Poles help to a great extent!

It was a great hike. Going up was fine, we followed the blue squares. There was a lot of scramble and scree on our way up so I'd definitely recommend poles and good grippy shoes. I felt that I had the best luck holding onto the rock "wall" on the way up to the actual summit.

Unfortunately on the way down we got completely off trail and went bushwacking and ended up taking almost 8.5 hours (including snacks at the top). Definitely go back the way you came!! We saw others coming up via the left ish side so we went there on the way down but ended up off trail.

I will have to attempt it again.

Easy hike, beautiful sceneries and very close from canmore

Hands down, best hike I have ever been on! From the beginning to end was just amazing! Definitely wear proper shoes! There is no wrong way to go up or down this mountain, but try to stay on the trails.

I thought this hike was a ton of fun. My friend and I did it and I would consider us both to be novice hikers. I would say that we are both in moderate shape, and we did not find it to be terribly difficult physically, but you NEED proper shoes. We didn't have hiking poles but I would definitely recommend those, especially for the way down as other people have said. On the scramble up to the summit, keep your head up for falling rock, especially if you go later in the day when there are more people coming down. We actually watched a bolder fall and almost hit someone. But... do it! Go all the way up! It's worth it, 10/10 recommend. I'll do it again.

Good hike! A bit harder than Halin. Hiking poles and gloves will help!

Good hike, up to the false summit it is comparable to ha ling (a bit harder maybe). But if you want to go all the way up this is a good scramble. Not an easy one though I would not advise this hike for beginners.

Found the hike very boring tho the views at the end is great. Def a harder hike. Did it once and won’t do again tho.

Definitely got our workout in, but excellent views. Would do again.

By no means would I call this hike easy, but it certainly isn't the most difficult trail either. As others have mentioned the blue squares on the rocks are very helpful for the first 3/4 of the hike.
Although you seem to lose them just before reaching the long meadow. My partner and I did not use poles and nor do we think they were necessary for this hike. However good grippy shoes are highly recommended, especially for the summit.

Most of the trail is open, so lots of water is necessary, as we both we through ours rather quickly. The scramble/climb to the summit was honestly the most difficult part of this trail, and it is suggested you stick to the wall as the footing is best, and at least you have something to grab onto. It is rather steep, but the views make it so worthwhile! If you're not wiling to summit, the views from the meadow, are also breathtaking. We didn't find the trail too busy, even with a later start, but probably better too early especially if its a hot day.

Awesome! Really easy hike! Totally different views from Ha Ling, considering the north end