Door Jamb and Loder Peak Tail

Door Jamb and Loder Peak Tail is a 8.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8 km
799 m

This is an unofficial trail so there are no route markings and numerous side paths that people have taken to scramble to the top of Loder peak. If you're an experienced scrambler/climber this isn't a problem. But if you are a hiker or amateur scrambler, you will find yourself facing a difficult retreat down extremely steep slopes to try to find a different route up the shoulder of the mountain to the peak. With the first 3 km of this track being 30-50° incline, this can make for an extremely tricky scramble. However, the views from the peak are fantastic!

Amazing hike, would do again. We did the loop and our GPS said it was 13km. It took us 8 hours with a few breaks in between. Worth the views!!

Only 45 minutes away from Calgary, this is a steep start 30-60 degrees for the first few kilometres. Make sure you stay on the ridge as there are some steep climbs up the rock to get back on the ridge which is really fun if you're not scared of heights. The rock is rough enough that you won't slip with hiking shoes. The second peak is fun as it is steeper than 50 degrees, and has loose rocks. It took us in total 2:15 to get to the second peak. Make sure you wear a windproof jacket as the wind up there was probably 40-60 km/hour - very strong!

It's close to Calgary so that's definitely a huge plus. Views are ok but the factory hum lasts most of the way up. if you don't like scrambling don't do this hike. There is 10 meter 50 deg scramble up to Door Jamb. The rock is solid and very rough giving good grip. Just keep in mind that unless you're doing the loop you have to scramble down. Doable but I don't recommend this hike for large dogs.

It took us about 5 hours to do the full loop including breaks. Some good views at the top

Excellent early season hike, not hard like some people say. On the way up door jamb stay just to the right of the ridge and you won’t encounter much steep scrambling. If you go too far left you might find yourself facing a wall. Getting to Loder Peak is nice and easy from there. To complete the loop requires some path finding and bushwacking until you hit the riverbed from which to the end it’s a flat and long hike back to the road.

Really nice after the noise from giant cement plant dissipated.
Great view from beside mt. yamnuska.
There are about 8 spots where you have to step onto snow drifts, but easy if your not a wuss :)
Tough incline, a good 3 1/2 hour all around test for the old legs

This is a beautiful and scenic hike but I would definitely not recommend it without snowshoes. I started on the side of Loder peak and I would say for about 80% of the distance there were parts where you would sink into the snow up to your waist. I was following a fresh trail and when I got to the halfway point I met two other hikers that had to turn around as beyond that the snow became deeper and it was impossible to track through.

great winter hike

Did this hike late in January! Managed to complete the entire loop and it wasn't too bad. The ascent up to Mt Loder isn't that bad but there is some steep parts. There wasn't much snow on that side of the mountain which made scrambling fairly easy. However once I started down the other side towards the valley you could tell that's where the snow collected. Was mostly me sliding/falling/cursing my way down.

Once I was into the valley it looked like I was the first person to attempt it in the winter months as there was no tracks. This was probably the worst part as you had to walk on the snow covered river and had no way to tell if the snow was 6 inches deep or 6 feet. Many times I fell through and sunk in up to my waist.

Once I got to a beaten trail by the canyon walk it's fairly easy from there, I jogged the rest of the way back.

Completed this hike in 4:45 with a lunch break, however I did shave some time off sliding down half the mountain.

I also lost my poles somewhere on the descent into the valley, if you find them please reach out and return!

Philipcsetter@gmail.com
Thank you!

Sliding is fun!

I did this as my first hike. Definitely not for rookies. :) Use a GPS with saved tracks to keep from getting lost.

Windy and smokey day making it a bit more difficult but still fun!

There isn't a distinct trail but it's still manageable to find your way.

Lots of scrambling and rocks so not for rookies.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Wasn't a hard hike at all reaching Doorjamb mountain and Loder Peak. But this is actually a hard hike. From Loder Peak it was difficult to pin point the exact trail on the backside. Following the GPS wasn't a lot of help on this app. We toured down an Avalanche run out until we hit the valley between the two mountains. Followed a rocky creek bed for a couple k's until we came to the Yura Creek Canyon which was totally awesome to walk thru. With our lunch break we were about 8 hours and it was dark when we hit the truck. Totally awesome adventure and lots of cool views along the way. Combining the summit with the Canyon walk made this a cool hike 100%! Don't cheap yourself out and only Summit and return!

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Definitely a moderate-hard trail! It is unmarked so there are many ways up to the top. Beautiful views, well worth the effort! Hike was about 3-4 hour return.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

This is an unofficial trail so there is no route markings - period and there are numerous side paths that people have taken to scramble to the top of Loder peak. This means that you can take a side route that seems heavily traveled all need to find yourself facing a dangerous rock face to climb as you get near the summit. If you're an experienced scrambler/climber this isn't a problem. But if you are a hiker or amateur scrambler, you will find yourself facing a difficult retreat down extremely steep slopes to try to find a different route up the shoulder of the mountain to the peak.

With the first 3 km of this track being 30-50° incline, this can make for an extremely tricky scramble. I would rate this as being a more hard than moderate undertaking for casual or amateur hikers. Be sure to wear hiking boots and have your gear. And remember how windy I can be at the altitudes... climbing a rock slab in high winds can be exciting to say the least. The views from the peak are fantastic however!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Fun but easy to get lost!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

We did this late fall last year. It was a great hike with little trail finding which adding the excitement.
The slab scrambles are excellent. A good place to train your scrambling skills.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017