Devils Thumb Via Lake Agnes Trail

Devils Thumb Via Lake Agnes Trail is a 11.9 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 11.9 km Elevation Gain: 883 m Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Great views in all directions. Start hiking before sunrise to avoid crowds. The trail is quite easy the whole way up except for a small steeper section near the top which had some slippery mud. Would recommend if you are looking to go a little further than the teahouse.

The views are stunning in all directions. I have made a video of this hike. It is on YouTube, and my channel is LIVEON ALBERTA. Check it out if you want to see the hike before you do it.

Great hike. Overall, the hike was moderate with the last 30 minutes being hard.

I really enjoyed this hike. It is a tough hike, but if you are in shape it should be no problem. Just make sure to bring proper footwear. Beware shortly after it rains there are a few slick areas when you get towards the end of the hike. My buddies and I had to scramble a bit through this part due to the trail being muddy. We didn’t have poles, but I am not sure they would have helped due to how slick it was.

This trail wasn’t as hard as people made it out to be in their reviews. It’s pretty easy until you get to the last stretch. It is also not that sketchy either. I did this trail alone and was worried from reviews but convinced myself to do it anyway and it was WELL WORTH IT. Highly recommend this trail, also enjoy a snack/lunch at the top because it’s pretty secluded up there and the view is just phenomenal!

It’s a great hike! I hike it as part of Agnes lake trail, going to Little and Big Beehive first. I was surprised that it was easier then I was expecting. It’s around 45 min hike from Big Beehive. Initially it was a bit of steep path. Then it was a bit confusing, as at some point you need to climb rocks to get back on trail. But after that it was pretty nice and almost flat walk at the edge of the mountain. Once you reach last part - this very is hard part starts, as it’s very steep. Guys told me to stay on the left (next to the trees), as easier to hike and there is something to grab on. Then almost on the top again stay on the left, as it easier to climb the rocks then use steep slippery path on the right. But the views are great! 360 degree on Six Glasiers, spot contrast in between Agnes and Louise lakes. It’s stunning! And not many people are on the trail.

This was one of the coolest trails I’ve ever done. Most people choose to just do the beehive circuit which is the first portion of this trail. After the trail forks for devils thumb, you barely see anyone else, which is great considering how crowded this part of the park is. To be fair, this is a very technically difficult trail. The climbs aren’t taxing physically but they’re certainly sketchy at certain parts. You should only do this trail in good conditions and if you have good gear. There’s a portion just before the main rock scramble at the top that is almost vertical and so muddy you can’t hardly get a hold of anything. It’s rainy today, so I’m curious what it would be like in dry conditions. That being said, the views are breathtaking. Even before you get to the top, your senses are on overload won’t the vivid colors and beauty of the trail. Great hike!

This is one of my all time favourite trails to date, it’s a challenge but definitely a very good one. There are two sections on this trail, the little beehive and the big beehive. Sure it’s a great view but the real thrill and view is at the very top. Directly behind you there is an off beaten path that people take with a large log that you climb over. After you do that there is a very skinny trail that leads you to the very top. Use extreme caution as you walk this part of the trail because it gets more challenging as you go up. Again worth the gorgeous views. Cheers!

Really cool hike. The footpath is very narrow until you hit the scramble. The scramble is manageable but if you’re not used to the altitude it takes a bit to catch your breath. Stay left towards the trees to have more roots and rocks to grab onto while scrambling. Beautiful views of both lakes at the top!!

Amazing views all around, there's one of everything to see: lakes, glaciers, towering spires of rock, and the lake louise chateau. If you have scrambled before this hike shouldn't be a problem, it's never dangerously exposed and the steep slopes you must travel are made predominantly of dirt. I rarely use hiking poles but they were very helpful on the way down to prevent slipping. It's also a relatively short hike from the tea house, maybe 1.5hrs away? We did this Aug 11 in intermittent rain and the slope was quite muddy but nothing hiking poles and some grit couldn't fix.

Great hike with beautiful views along the entire trail. However, and this is a big however, the "scramble" had a really scary section that was basically just a dusty slope. I was crab walking, shuffling, with almost nothing to grab onto in some instances. I even started slipping down the slope at one point but thankfully stopped. Once you get back to the rocks you're safe again but not sure if I would do again for fear of crossing those steep dusty slopes.

Easy jaunt to the tea house. Gorgeous views from the summit but there is a section that is super steep with little traction so be prepared to grab onto roots, rocks and stumps.

Not really hard except for a 400m stretch of uphill on the ascent and downhill of the descent. Not sure if I’m just an idiot but I couldn’t see any easier way than sliding down on my butt to get back to the flat trail

I went out with the intention of doing the big bee hive , after completing it I discovered a trail leading to Devils Thumb. We had a beautiful sunny day! The start was a bit scramble but absolutely fine and then mid way through it got more challenging as it was a steep and slippy. To get up the steep tricky bits I held on to rocks/roots and anything I could use to hold my weight incase of a slip , once past this stage it was pretty much rocky and easy to the summit, the views at the top were well worth the climb, it was amazing but I would not recommend this for kids/dogs/elderly. Extra care needs to be taken when scrambling down this trail.

Hike was so worth the scramble towards the end! Steep and definitely needed to go slow and take my time going down but the views made all the difficulties worthwhile!

The most amazing view of my year so far. Tough scramble but well worth it. When you get around the back of the thumb before the last big assent stick to the trees to the left for a safer more secure way up. Don’t be afraid to come down on your bum if it is very dry. Poles are a huge advantage on this scramble.

My favorite trail I did in Banff. Took the big bee hive trail to the over look than continued up devils thumb. The trail head wasn’t marked but you could clearly see the path and there was a tree down across it. The path is steep in parts you need to scramble up but there are tree roots and rocks near by to help grab onto. The views are so worth it! Take ur time going down and pay attention to where you came up. You will climb rocks on the last stretch. veer to the right on the way down. We started down the wrong way and another hiker had to point us in the right direction. Most hikers I saw stopped along the way didn’t go up do to the fear of getting down. Some people slid down on their butt I thoughts it was fine just take ur time the path is narrow and steep. Highly recommend. Plenty of stops along the way to reenergize yourself at the tea house, lake Agnes, big beehive lookout.