Crypt Lake Trail Loop

Crypt Lake Trail Loop is a 20.6 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Waterton Park, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

20.6 km
914 m

cave

Start from Waterton Township on the northwest end of Upper Waterton Lake and find the boat launch at the marina for the Waterton Shoreline Cruise Company. Tickets for the Crypt Lake Shuttle Ferry are $20 for adults and $10 for children (as of 2012). Ferries leave at 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. daily. On the ride to Crypt Landing on the east side of the lake, enjoy fantastic views south toward the United States, and north toward the historic Prince of Whales Hotel situated on a bluff above the lake. There is no drinking water on the boat or along the trail, so pack everything you need before you start. Ferries return to Waterton Township at 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Long and tough, but very worth it!!

Great hike! Take a small fishing pole with a spinner for some cutthroats in Crypt!

Great hike, with spectacular views, took the Hell Roaring Falls trail on the way up, separated us from the boat load of people going up, and able to do this part of the trail while still full of energy.

Super awesome! Great for beginners that have the cardio for 17 km. Get to the lake first and you will feelthe silence.

Enjoyed hiking it with friends. The best part is the tunnel and the crystal clear lake. It took us 7hours to complete the loop.

We did this on long weekend. Started at 830 am from waterton lake and reached crypt lake hike landing by 845 am. Boat ride was good and guide shared some good information about the hike. We were able to reach crypt lake in 2 hr 40 min though we spend some time in taking pictures all the way. Falls were not impressive as we expected. I personally believe the Tunnel and lake are the main focus of this hike. While coming back we went to Hell roar fall but the trail from there to come down is not well maintained and you will see thick foliage. I would prefer to pass this passage with few guys and not alone. Overall it was 20 plus km and decent elevation.

Nearly all the hikes in Waterton were closed except this, Bertha Lake and Bears Hump. Well, we were relieved this one remained open. So much variety on the hike - and some stunning views. The cave and cable were both frightening yet exhilarating. We had an excellent day. The loop detour near the end was a little lack-lustre but we can say we did it.

My favorite Waterton Hike. I'm scared of heights and I was a bit nervous coming out of the cave and climbing up the side but the cable is very secure and if you don't look down you'll be just fine!! So fun and so worth it.

Did the hike in late August.

The hike by itself is a decent workout . The first part of the hike goes thru a forest and is shaded. The first set of climb is easy and then it levels out. Some where around the second waterfall, the hike starts climbing and it is completely exposed . Then comes, the ledge , the tunnel and the chains. Truth be told, reading the reviews, I was extremely scared, but once I got to the ledge I realised there was enough space to walk comfortably on both sides! The tunnel is of course fun! The lake is just a small walk away after this .

The lake is a very very pretty lake and it is easy to loose track of time while at the lake. So it is very important to time yourself at the lake.

We saw three bears during the hike - two near the tunnel and far away and one on the trail. While they didn't trouble us, it is always good and recommended to carry bear spray if the need be. We rented ours from Pats - Unless opened can be returned and deposit of 15$ is returned back .

We also took the Hell Roaring Canyon on the way back - will not really recommend. The trail is steeper in sections and the very very hot day did not make it easier.

First time doing a hike for me and I loved it. Second set of switchbacks were rough, but Crypt Lake was worth it. Definitely a mental challenge as the physical part wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Saw a few families with kids under 12 and older people as well. Most fun parts were the tunnel and the cable walk. Most difficult part was the rocky switchbacks. It was hot and I brought 2 litres of water and ran out on the way back, so bring lots of water, a hat, and sunscreen. I also brought Tylenol and a knee brace and it helped quite a bit for the way down. I recommend 100%. We had lots of time with the 8:30 drop off and 5:30 pick up. You can buy your tickets the day before.

Easy to see what makes it one of the top hikes in Canada, take time for a swim.