Crescent Falls & Bighorn Canyon

Crescent Falls & Bighorn Canyon is a 5.6 kilometer loop trail located near Clearwater County, Alberta, Canada. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

5.6 km
144 m

Was a nice easy hike that was good to bring dogs on however the cliffs are steep and close to the paths so I kept my pup on a leash most of the time. Nice view :)

You can see 2 falls at the same time cascading... 10-15 mins hike to the second level of the hike... great place for the family as there is a park to picnic.

Excellent, easy hike for kids. Lots of people on may long weekend. But always a beautiful spot to hang out.

Nice easy hike with pretty views

An easy hike and fun hike to do to get out and hike during the winter months!

Great for a quick and easy look at some falls. Easy trails around the top and easy trails to get down to the bottom of the falls. Beautiful view.

We debated driving right up to the falls, but we are glad we didn't. Taking the hike beside the canyon is well worth the views.

Did this with our 4 month old and 2 dogs today...it was perfect! Lots of fun and beautiful sights!

Beautiful scenery. The trail can be a tad slippery..I recommend good shoes with grip. Their is a rope that helps guide you down to the first lower level of the falls. The trail itself is not so bad.. Kids can do this but I wouldn't recommend toddlers. The falls are breathtaking!

A great day for a walk in the hills.

Great trail. Easy to find. Fantastic for dogs and kids. Both loved playing in the water.

This is a very easy trail. You can either park at the top and walk down to the falls and back up, or you can drive right now to the parking lot beside the falls.
I have done this in the summer and the winter and it is beautiful in both settings! The waterfall is beautiful and it is enjoyable to hang out right under them. There are some good view points on the hike!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Wonderful scenery! Very short hike from the campground with a few steps of steep hill. There is a daytime use picnic area as well as a campground with a self registration desk. Even on a long weekend we found empty spots. The management is very friendly and regularly patrols the campground. Very clean and well maintained.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

amazing beauty! every year I at least go 4 times!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Good for the kids. Not great in minus twenty however.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Hiked this after recent snowfall and trail was hard to find. Hiked along river majority of time and made for an enjoyable trip with some great scenercy

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Saturday, February 18, 2017

We parked by the outhouses as the road to the falls was closed. And easy walk down the hill to the lookout. There had been heavy snowfall the two days prior so there was no trail. The frozen falls were beautiful. I always recommend this easy hike if in the area.

Monday, October 24, 2016

We parked from the first lookout and walked along the Ridge. The falls were beautiful however there was too much ice to make it down to the lower falls; beautiful day to eat lunch by the water though.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

I started at the end because I was at the campground, but also did the hike from the main trailhead and I was at the falls without realizing I had gone 3KM. The falls themselves are well worth the walk. There is a scramble down to the lower falls but there are a set of climbing ropes making the ascent and descent manageable.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Easy walk with the beautiful fall at the end.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Awesome! Spectacular views along the whole way. Careful with dogs as there is steep slopes. Easy path to walk along. If you have family that can't hike then they can drive to the falls and meet you there. Well worth the hike.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Beautiful short hike. You can enjoy the day use area by the falls and camp as well. First come first serve get there early.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Pretty easy hike. Started at the look out point and hiked from there to the falls. Lots of people and trail was very muddy and wet from all the rain that we have been getting but wow what a view. Take the rope down to the base of the falls, very cool. took use about 4 hours but we stopped a lot to take in the views.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The hike was good, the trail was pretty easy untill you started to go down to the river side. To get down to the first 2 falls was good, but to get down to the third was more scree than anything thing with very loose rock wall. Just watch your footing and you'll be ok. It's an awesome adventure for the morning. =)

Monday, June 13, 2016

Really enjoyed this hike. I wouldn't recommend it for families with kids under 12 though, some step slopes directly beside the path. One wrong step and it could be tragic. Beautiful view, will definitely go back.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Beautiful! Waterfalls and canyon are gorgeous! We were a little confused at the beginning as the trail had signs indicating flood damage and to use at your own risk. We ended up ignoring the signs and were careful not to get too close to the edge. There is flood damage but it appears as if the trail is still being maintained a little (fallen trees were cut for example). Dog friendly trail and very quiet. We went on a Sunday morning around 9am and we didn't see anyone else using the trail. We will be back to do this one again soon!

Thursday, June 02, 2016

One of my favourite hikes so far. We went earlier in the day which I would recommend because we were the only ones on the trail for the better portion of the day. The hike leading up to the falls was beautiful and I love how when you get to the falls you can literally sit right at the edge. Gorgeous hike!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Masterpiece

Monday, May 16, 2016

Absolutely the best place.