Cory Pass

Cory Pass is a 12.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sawback, Alberta, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

12.7 km
1377 m

AllTrails is WRONG and WRONG. Elevation gain on this hike is a more moderate 3000ft, not 4500ft.

Also, anyone can do this hike, as the trail is in great shape, with reliable footing with the only difficulties being:

1. Going clockwise you climb 1500ft in the first 3/4 mile. Gasp.

2. Halfway up the Cory Pass trail there is a modest down-scramble of about 60ft. (Not treacherous).

3. From the pass down, (going clockwise), you hike down about 1000ft through a giant screw field. However there is a solid trail, with switchbacks, and it is as easy as scree can be.

Awesome views going up, and the back valley after the pass is memorable.

It appears the adventurous could scramble up Mt. Edith. (Well-worn trail.) St. Louis is a pinnacle!

If I did this hike again, I would hike up to the pass, down into the back valley, and then come back the way I came. This is because the descent down the right half of the loop was a real yawner.

It took my partner and I just under 7 hours to complete. We hiked up Cory pass and down Edith. This is the best route by far, as going back down Cory would have been much to steep. For the first 30 mins or so Edith pass is covered in scree. This was my first experience with scree so I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to descend scree - which definitely helped! This one is a killer in the calves since it's so steep. Bring lots of water, food, and maybe a banana for cramping. Well worth all the sweat though - views are epic!

We love it again and again

Great hike, first 3 miles were unbelievably scenic. Left at 7AM and finished at 11AM. Took my time and took a lot of pictures. The first half of this hike is difficult but it is well worth it. Unbelievable views! Only saw one other person. Definitely do the full loop and don't turn around. Makes for the perfect hike.

This hike definitely makes it to the top of the favourites list with it's amazing views! It is definitely challenging but it is so much fun! When I went everyone hiked to the top, had lunch and then appeared to hike back down. I highly recommend pushing yourself a little further and going down the other side and right through the pass and connecting to the other side of the mountain to complete the full loop! The experience is breath taking! Just be careful for the loose rocks as I have super grip hiking shoes and I stumbled a few times. When you get to the other side you end up going through the trees there are a few view stops. It is a little creepy wandering alone through the trees with grizzly bear warning signs but just play some music and it's fine! There is also a creek through there which is very rewarding if you bring your dog! My 3 year old chocolate lab had a blast on this hike but there was one spot going over a rocky cliff that was a little frightening for him so be cautious of that. The loop took me and the pup 4.5 hours.

One of my favourite hikes, especially in the fall
Long day for sure so pack a good lunch ! The views are dope!

Really difficult hike, but very rewarding!