Cory Pass

Cory Pass is a 13.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sawback, Alberta, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

13 km
1168 m

We did this hike on July 7, 2017 Cory pass, 7,777 elevation with a gain of 3,100 feet in 2.8 miles, one of the most strenuous hikes in Banff was our overwhelming over-ambitious focus for the day. Quite the way to break in a new pair of hiking boots as this was one of our first hiking experiences.
We ascended on difficult slopes with little or no traction to get a footing and with miles of sheer slate, rocky ridges along open slopes. Due to extreme uphill grades, excessive heat and high altitudes, we struggled to get to the top, but made it nonetheless! Granted, there was literally No turning back. Now we knew why we were told to take Edith Trail back.
What a spectacular view from the get go!
We knew we reached the top when we arrived at Gargoyle Valley!
We took about a half hour break for lunch then we began our descent on the Cory Loop, Edith Trail.
In total our elevation change was about 3000 feet, our distance was about 10 miles, and it took us 8 hours. At the bottom of Edith Trail we came upon a black bear about 20 yards from the trail. Back at the parking lot, we convinced a group getting ready to make the climb, not to bring their dad who was in no way ready or in shape to attempt this pass. Great experience overall and would recommend.

We went up in mid September, a few flakes of snow. Was this fun! Climbed for an hour, hit the pass and Gargoyles, wow! Came down in the valley over the screw, then onto the big boulders. Finished the descent with a beauty run to the parking lot.

While an extremely beautiful hike, with the weather this time of year it is extremely dangerous. If you’re going up now make sure you have snow shoes, the snow is 3+ feet deep once you hit about 3.25 miles in (probably more now). The trail is not visible anymore. The weather was so bad when we hit 3.5 miles we had to turn around right before the Mt. Edith/Cory Pass crossing.

Very nice hike. Not too difficult physically but the snow makes it quite technical.
Keep in mind that you need 3/4 of the time to go to Cory pass and only 1/4 to come back to the parking.. so if it starts snowing when you are behind the mountain, keep calm, the way back is much faster and easier.

I’m not sure what people meant my clockwise, but I believe I took the “steep route”, which was the first left off the trail, instead of following the second left. Going through the fields instead of the forest.

Either way, I this trail was very difficult today, I did it in 4 hours total (including breaks), but it required microspikes, trail running and I hit almost 12” of snow in some parts. It would have been impossible if i had gone the forest route, in the time I had.

Also following the comment below, I logged about 1100m, not 1300m.

Beautiful but very challenging. Took about 6.5 hours with lunch break.

Agree with most of the comments here, approach it clockwise, otherwise the descent to the parking will be hell steep. It is a strenuous track for sure, but the views are super rewarding! Nothing for inexperienced hikers though! We did it in 5:45hrs excluding break at Cory Pass...

Loved it; so much busier yesterday than the last time I was up there 20 or so years ago. Still great though.

AllTrails is WRONG and WRONG. Elevation gain on this hike is a more moderate 3000ft, not 4500ft.

Also, anyone can do this hike, as the trail is in great shape, with reliable footing with the only difficulties being:

1. Going clockwise you climb 1500ft in the first 3/4 mile. Gasp.

2. Halfway up the Cory Pass trail there is a modest down-scramble of about 60ft. (Not treacherous).

3. From the pass down, (going clockwise), you hike down about 1000ft through a giant screw field. However there is a solid trail, with switchbacks, and it is as easy as scree can be.

Awesome views going up, and the back valley after the pass is memorable.

It appears the adventurous could scramble up Mt. Edith. (Well-worn trail.) St. Louis is a pinnacle!

If I did this hike again, I would hike up to the pass, down into the back valley, and then come back the way I came. This is because the descent down the right half of the loop was a real yawner.

It took my partner and I just under 7 hours to complete. We hiked up Cory pass and down Edith. This is the best route by far, as going back down Cory would have been much to steep. For the first 30 mins or so Edith pass is covered in scree. This was my first experience with scree so I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to descend scree - which definitely helped! This one is a killer in the calves since it's so steep. Bring lots of water, food, and maybe a banana for cramping. Well worth all the sweat though - views are epic!