Learn more

Coliseum Mountain Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nordegg, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.9 mi Elevation gain 2,673 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Forest Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky
Waypoints (0)
Photos (306)
Recordings (222)
Completed (820)
Celeste B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 27, 2020
HikingGreat!

Me and a friend just did this hike yesterday - I'm a novice hiker and this was my friends first mountain hike. Great trail! Well traveled trail, marked, quite a few people out when we were there but not so many that you kept bumping into others. It took us about 5 hours. The weather was beautiful, a perfect temperature at ~11c. Sunny and partly cloudy through the day. The summit it quite windy, and after sweating it out on the trail, you do get a bit chilled. As most reviews have stated, approx the first 5km is the toughest - terrain changes, steep areas but not impossible - just take it slow so you don't tire out quickly. I would definitely do this hike again

Ed Chapelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 27, 2020
Hiking

Well marked trail, easy to follow, nice day hike.

View Ed's Recording
Sarah MacKenzie
HikingGreat!

first solo venture! trail is easy to follow. first half is pretty steep but the view is worth it! i was on the trail by 9am and still lots of room in the parking lot. testing out new poles and I was thankful for them.

View Sarah's Recording
Anita Wagner
HikingGreat!

One of my favourite hikes! Great to do by yourself also, because there are always people around.

Jeff Vickery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
Chris & Susan LaPointe
Hiking

It was quite the hike for our first ever mountain hike. Definitely harder than we expected on the way up. Way Down was amazing. Lots of short cuts. Loved it!!!

View Chris & Susan 's Recording
Ven Doria
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2020

Great trail. It is hard for a beginner like me but it's fun! I like the rocky trail part. I made it to the summit 360 degrees view. Less traffic as well. I will not hike this trail though if it rains, luckily it was a wonderful sunny but windy day when I hiked it.

James Durnford
Cory Joseph

well marked easily followed Trail Great Day hike

View Cory's Recording
Teresa MacDonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 25, 2020
View Teresa's Recording
Carmen DelBello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 25, 2020
View Carmen's Recording
Nataly Lopez Baron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
Great!
harman bal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
Bella Welsh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Tough first stretch up mountain but lots of shortcuts and switchbacks. the view is spectacular at the top, make sure to add your rock to the pile!

Bob Jackle
View Bob's Recording
Aashish Patel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
View Aashish's Recording
Ayla Lovell-Bannard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
Hiking

Excellent little day hike! Quite the incline in the first 5 km but some lovely switchbacks to even out the impact. Beautiful view at the top.

View Ayla's Recording
Kaman Wong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 18, 2020
View Kaman's Recording
Melissa Crawford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2020
Hiking

We did this trail yesterday and we really enjoyed it. We stopped a few times on the switchbacks going up but all in all they were extremely manageable. Huge win coming across a hidden toilet on the way up! The scramble to the peak short but steep in parts. Again easy enough to maneuver through. This was the only part of the hike that some of us opted to use our poles when we came down. The smoke in the air left us with little views once we got to the top. On a clear day the views would be incredible! We started just at 9am and there was only one other person at the staging area. We did pass more groups as we came back down. If you put the staging area in your GPS it may have you stop a little short. Keep going and you’ll come across it. I would have to say this was one of my favorite hikes and I will be back next year to experience the true views this hike has to offer.

Carlee Laczo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
Hiking

Just went on this hike, alone, on Sunday. I felt comfortable as I came across many others hiking. It was not the best weather so I could not see much at the top, but the trails were fantastic. I plan to go back on a day that is clear so I have better views!

venessa Dudenhoeffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
Hiking

This was a good climb of switch backs in the trees for the first 5km then it open up to beautiful views. Trial was well marked!

View venessa 's Recording
Ray N
HikingScrambleSnow
Susan Chalier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2020
View Susan's Recording
Krystal Hanna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great trail to do with your dog if they can do distance... my dog loved it! 2/3 of the trail is shaded, which you will appreciate because it’s a slug to the top of the switchbacks. Lots of exposed roots and lose rocks but trail is in good condition. Not too busy, met a few friendly people and I had the top to myself for lunch. Would be a good trail to try solo as it is well marked and I had cell reception even at the top.

View Krystal's Recording
Doripe Doria
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2020
HikingRocky

It took four and half hours a bit tough hike, with lots of rest in between, but so happy to reach the top of the mountain. Amazing 360 degrees views!

Mart SJ
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Definitely a good day for a good sweat on this one! We did this hike as our first hike this summer and had a blast! It took us about 4h30min to complete but my legs were done near the end. Highly recommended if you're in Nordegg area!