Coliseum Mountain

Coliseum Mountain is a 12.2 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Brazeau, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

12.2 km
808 m

Nice, moderate hike with nice views and variable terrain. The trail is not terribly steep and walking the ridge along the top is very relaxing and enjoyable.

Great hike easily marked. Switch backs make the incline less intense. It says the trail is 12.2km but my phone and friends says 17. We didn’t mind though because we are training for west coast trail.

Great hike with kids and dog.

Great first hike (ever)!

Beautiful hike. The smell of spruce filled the air up to the top. The view was spectacular. Went during the contained fires happening in the distance, interesting to see the orange-red smoke clouds. Highly recommend.

It’s a long shot but my son lost his Bose Earbuds on the trail May 20. If found please let me know. Thx. Trail is great by the way!

absolutely stunning at the top!

Great hike for beginners, easy and straight forward. The ridge line crossing was kind of cool. Still some snow and ice in sections but nothing serious. Ice cleats were a help but not necessary. In the next few weeks all of the snow should be gone. Dog friendly!

Great! Took the switchback way and it wasn't super hard! I really loved it

A group of 15 of us hiked this trail in August 2017 we took the back way, Ridgeline. Then going down we took the forest path, which was switchback. Challenging hike but the view at the top of he summit was spectacular

Multiple routes up! See bulletin board in car park.

Great hike ...... amazing view!!!

first hike I ever did a while back, it was great! Not a hard hike, just long. I always recommended it for beginners, gives a good taste of nature!

Took us 2.5 hours to climb to the summit and another 2 hours to hike back down to the parking lot. We went up through the forest taking the switchback trail. A strenuous incline most of the way until we crossed the rock face then mostly level trail until the ascent to the summit. A great hike!

This was an excellent hike with a gorgeous view! I'd definitely recommend and go again. Great trail to bring a dog along on.

Great hike! In & out took just over 5 hours. Pretty good altitude climb in spots, good recovery spots along the way. Beautiful views! The climb along the rock edge to get across is a great adrenaline rush and walking the ridge of the mountain is an amazing feeling.

Great day hike suitable for almost anyone. Trail well marked, easy switchbacks up, fairly level scree path along the slope, and easy path to the top! Entire hike took 5 hrs with stops along the way and a good 30 mins spent up top. Met total 10 people along the way so not over busy. Enjoyable day!

An exhausting hike with intense climb up the Mountain. Got near the top rock cliff and I changed my mind and turned around-fear set in and lack of sleep didn't help. On the way down I fell and hurt my hand-minor sprain. Mistake leaving walking poles in van!!! It took us about 3.5 hours 6.7 km. I Will I like to do again with a good nights rest before.

Lots of switchbacks make the ascent very doable. The hike along the ridge at the top is great, beautiful trail through forest and some looser rock along the side of the mountain. Took just under 2 hours to get up with quite a few short breaks. Trail is well marked and the view from the summit is awesome.

Hiked in November to see the Super Moon. Trail was dry and is easy enough to follow coming down in the dark.

Decent trail. Easy enough to hike with plenty of switchbacks to split the elevation gains up. Once you clear the forest part of the trail the views are quite nice.

Great trail, wonderful scenery. The view from the peak is amazing! Met only 4 people on the trail. Only concern happened near the end of the hike. Due to some confusion with the trail marking we ended up coming off the trail about 4km from where we started.

One of my favourite tails in the Nordegg. Super accessible and always in great shape.

Easy trailhead to locate. Very well marked trail the entire distance. I started at 6:30 am and I wasn't the first person there. Very busy trail. Incredibly long distance views from the summit, so choose a clear day. Consider the Ridgeline Trail for the return trip.

Easy trail head to find. Easy trail to follow. Then the challenging begins with the winding steep incline hike. Just when you think you are at the top...you need to go a little further! But there are some beautiful viewpoints along the way for rest stops and the overall view at the top is beautiful! Definitely one of my favourites!

my first mountain and it was awesome , the view is stunning

Gorgeous trail with 360 degree views of valley, prairie to east and foothills, Abraham's lake, Rockies to west. Switchbacks through forest then around on rocks and through meadow, fabulous start , intro and. views to exploring Rockies

Challenging trail for the beginner but worth the views at the top.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Hiked in mid-June during a wet period. The lower switchbacks were virtual streams, so our feet got soaked no matter how much we tried to avoid it. View at the top was great - consider bringing a lunch to sit down and really enjoy it.

Friday, May 12, 2017

We hike this trail regularly. The views at the top are amazing - especially on a clear day. Make sure you take enough water as there is none on the trail. I also recommend an early start (especially on hot/sunny days). While busy on long weekends, it is lightly used most of the time.