Coal Mine Trail is a 4.8 kilometer out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 km Elevation Gain: 256 m Route Type: Out & Back

Decent incline all the way, forested trail, nearby trails marked well along the way so easy to follow. Snow covered, hiked in boots no problem! Wide trail, cool little tin cabin on the way up. Goat trail at the end opens up to great views of mount Kidd, kananaskis valley ! Unexpected views, definitely worthwhile short hike! Be sure to visit the village for hot chocolate afterwards!

continual uphill, but nothing difficult as it's a beaten path. went solo last weekend and was fairly moderate! I followed coal mine trail until I saw the Centennial trail sign at the top, but I continued passed and come out to the lookout for a bit then doubled back down Centennial. beautiful views and a lovely quick hike. in total it took me about 1.5 hours in and out. recommend!

This trail is great! I took my 9, 7 and 5 yr olds who had a great time. A nice, wide trail that was a bit muddy at the beginning but not bad. Steady incline the whole way but it’s not steep or difficult. **The view at the end makes it totally worth it!!** We did this in just over two hours which included a long stop at the end and a bunch of stops to take photos along the way.

I absolutely loved this trail! Don’t let the incline dissuade you!... it’s a perfect balance of climb and flat until suddenly you’re on top of the world. Breathtaking views.

We turned this one into a loop, and it was pretty straightforward. The trial is slightly new so not updated perfectly on all trails, but it’s super obvious. Ended up being about 5.6km.

Wonderful evening hike. 90 minute round trip from the Ribbon Creek trail head. Good ‘warm up’ for a late afternoon arrival at the village

Great hike for the family. There are multiple routes to take you to the end. We often take Centinal Ridge route when we go. At the second junction you turn left and go down hill slightly through a bit of trees which then opens up to a clearing with great views and the mine scar. Note. If it’s a windy and cold day I would pick another hike. You won’t enjoy the views as it can get extremely windy in the clearing which is where we always love to have a snack.