Chester Lake Trail

Chester Lake Trail is a 9.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.7 km Elevation Gain: 424 m Route Type: Loop

skiing

Please note that there has been bear activity reported in the area.

Awesome did it November 12th! Trail is packed down well did it on hiking boots with spikes and had no problems. Brought Snowshoes for around the lake. The road in is a bit bumpy but is ploughed can be done by car but SUV is recommended. Overall awesome trail amazing views not to hard! Like the other reviews say around the 3km mark is when it flattens out.

Most of the trail is well packed and easy with just microspikes. Trail around the lake is not well travelled and could be done with snowshoes. Beautiful day, amazing scenery and very easy hike.

very nice hike

Beautiful trail- snowy -hiking boot only- definitely could use snowshoes -enough base. Overcast but beautiful. Poling on the way down a bonus. Dress appropriate chilly in them there mountains! Enjoy

Great hike! We went from around 1-4 pm and the weather was beautiful. There was snow on the ground the entire way, but we both wore regular hiking shoes and did not need spikes or poles. Fantastic vista at the lake, great for any beginner hike.

Great trail overall! The start at the bottom was a mix of a little icky and rocky. After a half km or so it became snow covered and well travelled for a super good hike! Snowing pretty much all day! Took our time and it was 3 hours round trip. Lake was frozen over!

I went in the winter time. It was beautiful, definitely some good photo shoots. A recommendation for anyone new to hiking.

2.5 hours of awesome and some meandering at the lake thrown into that time. Glad I had spikes and didn't really need poles. So wonderful - will definitely do it again on snowshoes as we get into winter proper. A gem of a spot!

icy

Lots of inclined path to walk through includes bit boring treeline and mix of mud, ice and snow can be difficult to cover without spikes and poles. The lake and surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous and worth the effort.

icy

Great hike, but snow again!!!! Need to try in the summer for comparison. Good solid hike!!

Great hike! I went on this trail with my dog and it was fantastic. It’s a bit muddy near the start of the trail but that clears up once your walking on snow. Amazing views throughout the trail as well.

Beautiful hike. There was some snow and ice so it’s better to take spikes or hiking poles. The lake is already frozen, looks magical!

icy

I tackled this bad boy in a pair of Skechers and Lululemon Studio Pants (lined, of course), with my geriatric dog with respiratory problems by my side. My experience was as follows: 0.00 km - Felt only mild panic that everyone descending the mountain had hiking poles and real hiking shoes. 0.37 km - Already huffing and puffing, I questioned all of my life choices up to this point. 1.00 km - Resisted urge to throat punch all the cheerful hikers with their merry exclamations of "good afternoon!" all blissfully unaware that their enthusiasm was entirely due to the fact that their torture was almost over. 1.50 km - Wondered if I'd still get bragging rights if I turned back now. However I am, unfortunately, born in May and am as stubborn as my astrological sign. I pressed on. 2.00 km - Prayed to the hiking gods that the reviews were true and the elevation would level out after kilometre three. The internet wouldn't lie to me, would it? 2.80 km - Rode the struggle bus hard up particularly slippery incline, only to drop my water bottle and watch it gracefully slide to the bottom of the icy hellscape. Sacrificed said water bottle to the mountain gods. 3.00 km -With only 1.8 km until the turnaround, I thought I was projecting an effortless persona despite tragic inner turmoil. That is, until a helpful chap stopped to inform me that parts of the trail would be closing at 7. It was only 4. 3.05 km - Delighted that the internet came through and the elevation relief was not #fakenews 4.00 km - With no lake in sight, started to doubt that I'd see the summit in less than a kilometre. Resumed detailed scrutiny of all life decisions. 4.50 km - Muse that we only exercise to remind ourselves that breathing doesn't always come easy. 4.80 km - OMG! The lake! Took some obligatory "I didn't die" pictures for the 'gram (hashtag no filter), ate an apple because Fitspo Fuel, amirite? 4.81 km - Realization that I'm only halfway done sets in. Console myself by reminders that it's all downhill from here. 4.82 km - Learn that while downhill is indeed much easier on the lungs, it is much harder on the adrenaline - as in, it's slippery as f*ck. 4.83 - 9.6 km - Opted on several occasions to forgo the biped that I'm supposed to be to instead slide down the hill on my @$$ like some human toboggan, with Geriatric Dog prancing beside me. This not only kept my limbs intact, but also had the added benefit of tricking my GPS into thinking I had picked up the pace. Was reunited with my water bottle. Decided it was now ethical to claim that the water within was "mountain fresh." Mustered up every ounce of enthusiasm to cheerfully exclaim Good Afternoon to everyone at the base, like the sadists had done to me. Because karma is a b*tch, and I had come full circle. Geriatric dog has nothing to report. Total punishment, er, adventure time: 3 hours, 22 min Final review: 10/10, would recommend.

Definately better in Winter.Stunningly beautiful.good for kids

Finally off my bucket list on a blue sky day..the first 3km is where you do all the work. It's a long steady incline up a well maintained track through forest, until to flattens out and you finally exit the forest and see views to die for! The lake is nestled into the base of some very dramatic mountains. There were a fair view larches up there adding variety to the tree line and landscape. The route around the lake is narrow and steep/rocky in places. I am glad I had poles, due to the snow, but didn't think boot spikes or chains were necessary. Much quicker coming back as you are downhill. Highly recommended.

Gorgeous views, and fairly easy hike. There is lots of uphill, but the trail is wide and well maintained. Bring a lunch to sit by the lake at the top, it is just breathtaking!

Completed this hike on October 6th, 2019. This was an awesome afternoon hike. Would be good for a family or someone new to hiking! From the parking lot make sure to read the signage by the bathrooms and follow the arrows pointing to the left to go to Chester Lake. We missed this and took the wrong path at first. There’s one small sign pointing to the correct path. However once we were in the right place we had a great day. Not a lot of wind as most of the hike you’re covered by trees. It was a little muddy and there was definitely some snow but by noon it was packed down and mid hiking boots or running shoes are fine. On the way down the packed snow was slick, so if you have spikes bring them (although it was manageable without). The trail was pretty busy all day, there was usually someone coming or going around us, which is fine as long as everyone remembers trail etiquette! The path narrows to single file at some points so letting faster groups pass you and not stopping right in the middle is appreciated. View around the lake and throughout the trail is gorgeous!

Gorgeous hike. We had a few in our group with runners and they did well despite the trail being snow covered for most of the hike. I recommend hikers, micro spikes or poles for ease! The little trip around the lake was windy but beautiful. Will absolutely do again. There was a Moose and its young in the parking lot licking some of the vehicles when we got back to our vehicle. Definitely cool to see!