Chabot Park Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.
Chabot Park is a typical park in Fort Saskatchewan. Well connected to the neighbourhoods it passes, heavily used by the residents in the area and it offers a pleasureable, easy walk on nicely paved trails. True to Fort Saskatchewan's deep roots with the North West Mounted Police, Chabot Park is named after Constable Joseph Louis Chabot, of the North West Mounted Police. Constable Chabot joined the NWMP in 1880 and became a bugler in Fort Saskatchewan in 1881. He completed his term in 1885, then served in the North West Rebellion. Later, he farmed in the local area, then became Town Constable, Bell Ringer, Sanitary Inspector, Weed Inspector, and Truant Officer. He died in 1927 and is buried in Fort Saskatchewan. This walk begins at the end of River Pointe Drive, one of the many community access points along the trail. As you head towards the river, you will see concrete pillars left behind from an old railway crossing. The RVA hopes to use these as a future pedestrian bridge crossing. This walk offers great views of the river valley on one side as it skirts behind residential housing on the other. It is a very popular path and ends up by William Casey Park and a children's playground. William Casey was born in Cheshire, England in 1868 and moved with his wife and four children to Fort Saskatchewan in 1912. He operated the Glen-Lee Dairy until 1933 when he sold his property to the Provincial Government. The Government-owned land was farmed by inmates from the nearby gaol for over forty years. Prior to the construction of Westpark Estates, many Fort Saskatchewan residents still referred to this area as "The Casey Farm".