This trip was hampered by the smoke from the BC wildfires, so being totally fair the reward at the top is probably usually a lot better! I would do this hike again as a prep for bigger summit hikes. It was definitely tough. I think the only reason this trail gets rated as “moderate” is because of the length, but it’s a hard work out. The first kilometre or so is very steep. It does ease off a bit through the middle portion and then finishes off with a series of switchbacks. We ran into quite a few people on this trail and I don’t think most of them were expecting such a tough hike, but it looked like everyone stuck it out to the top!

We did this hike with our two dogs. It was definitely doable, but a couple of notes.... The middle section is mostly loose rock, which was a bit tougher for the dogs (mostly on the way down). The upper section is dirt but a very narrow trail which I found a little challenging with two on leash dogs, even with 10 ft leashes. With a single dog I think it would be totally fine, but two dogs attached to one person requires a bit of experimentation. There was also one section in the switchbacks where I opted to let the dogs off leash on the descent. It’s a very short section (literally a couple metres), but it didn’t seem safe to navigate it with two dogs attached to me. Otherwise though the dogs really enjoyed this one and so did we!