Castle Mountain Lookout Trail

Castle Mountain Lookout Trail is a 6.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Castle Junction, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.4 km
558 m

Fabulous hike. Yes steep incline all the way up but a great work-out and rewarded with a great view at the end. Even better snowshoeing it in the Winter!!!

Done this route twice, great uphill if your training to go hike mountains :)

Consistently steep, very little to see until the lookout itself. There are many more rewarding and enjoyable experiences for this amount of effort throughout Banff National Park or Kananaskis.

Steady climb all the way up. Up and down in 1h 45mins. Good view up and down the valley

Steady incline to the top. An okay hike. Water stream at the bottom and middle for dogs to drink. I didn’t spend much time at the top, I enjoyed the short work out over the view. Probably won’t come back unless I’m in the area with my mom or something.

Steady climb all the way to the lookout with a few switchbacks near the top. Bottom portion is double track while upper portion is single track. Nice view from lookout but fairly small area and can get crowded

It was a nice hike. Never anything really hard for any length of time. Pet and kid friendly. The sign at the trail head says its a 3.5 km hike which is actually only 2.2 miles. The view from the "top" was decent. We could have kept going up the mountain if we wanted to in to a more advanced area, but we had already spent time walking straight up Cory Mountain that morning and we really weren't up for the challenge after that. Castle Mountain has always been a landmark for me as I pass through the mountains so it was pretty cool to walk up it. The trail starts off wide and eventually goes down to single file. The top is a concrete "thing" with no sign so I had to check and make sure that was it, but it was.

Nice for a short and easy hike

Woof. All uphill and the views were ok if you would like to see a river, lake and a highway. My friend and i lost each other as the trail is not clearly marked when you hit a patch of rocks. I only knew where to go because I bumped into a couple. You can find better hikes in the area!

Okay everyone here who says it’s a slight incline is absolutely incorrect- this is fully just a steep uphill from start to finish. It’s not really worth it and I definitely wouldn’t go again. It literally felt like a punishment. The end truly does not justify the effort.

Had higher expectations for this hike. Steep incline for the majority of the hike with some mud patches at the beginning of the trail. In the forest for the majority of the hike with little sightings of the mountains.

Excellent hike!

Steep, but rewarding. Snow free all the way to the top, and almost no mud. Took us about 1.5 hours up, a little less down (my hiking partner was a bit uncomfortable on the downhills; realistically it's 40-60 minutes down). Come early! The parking lot was almost empty when we hit the trail at 10, and PACKED when we left at 1:30.

Completed May 21, 2018. Easy half day hike. No scrambling. Dog friendly. Plan to have lunch at the top, the rocks and old foundation wall make for a great seat while eating and enjoying the views at the lookout. We were 1.5 hrs up and down in about 40 mins.

This hike was the longest I’ve been on so far but completely worth it. My 4 and 6 yr old also did this hike with me as well as our dog. It slowed us down a big but it’s so worth it! Once you reach the top you can keep going down another path and climb onto and behind a water fall!

Great spring hike with panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and Bow River Valley. Some sections of the trail are still slushy and icy with snow while large sections are completely dry. This trail isn't as steep as other hikes rated as moderate. The descent was nicely forgiving on the knees and not overly strenuous.

A great hike where the effort is minimal for the rewarding scenery. I did the hike on a Sunday morning and was the only one on the trail. The snow was a bit deeper at the top but snowshoes aren’t necessary, I just wore my summer hiking boots, thick woollies and yak trax slippers. I ran down using my trekking poles and the snow felt marshmallow-ey, fun fun! Only 4 stars because the forest walk was boring.

Went in November. Walk is nice and steep and the view is solid. We took snowshoes but trail wasn’t deep enough or wide enough. Overall solid hike, I️ would bring low profile snowshoes

A tough walk up, but the views at the end are worth the climb!

All uphill trek is rewarded with a gorgeous view at the lookout point!

Beautiful views

a challenging trail up. about a 35 to 45 degree vert. beautiful views are rewarded to you once at the top.

Though hike up as the trail is up hill the entire way, so be ready for a good hike! Great views at the top make it well worth the trek up.

Uphill all the way up. Quick down as gravity helps. Great views!

Enjoyed the trial with a great view at the end. Some technical aspects through last few switchbacks.

Good hike, but not my favourite. Lots of switchbacks and a fairly steep incline but can be done without poles. Views at the top are decent but the parking lot/construction does take away from it a bit. Took about 2.5 hours with a stop at the top for lunch.

This was a good hike, but with the fires in the area the air quality was not the best and the smoke and haze did not help the view. Still worth it.

The view at the end of the trail is well worth the hike up. Just gorgeous! It's quite an uphill climb in parts, but if you take breaks when you need to, the reward at the end is well worth it. The trail itself is very visible all the way through and easy to walk...but quite an incline the majority of the way up.

I really liked this hike, its moderate upholl hike the whole time, great views, it took us less than 3 hours in total.