Cascade Mountain via Cascade Amphitheater is a 19.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Banff, Alberta, Canada that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.

19.8 km
1,764 m

Fantastic scramble up the iconic Cascade mountain in Banff. Take the Cascade Amphitheater trail to the starting point of the Cascade mountain ascent. Difficult scramble with great views of the Banff townsite, Lake Minnewanka and surrounding mountains. Traversing the false summit needs to be virtually clear of snow to reach the true peak.

Fantastic hike! Definitely one that will take some work, but it’s more than worth it for the views all the way up!

We had heard that making it to the summit in the snow is a different story and it's all true!! we had no issues until amphitheater and then lost the trail afterwards as there was 1.5 feet of fresh snow covered the trail. We made our own trail and reached the false summit instead of getting around it and that's where we noticed we need to descend the icy steep rock of the south face of that false summit. very scary!! After this point we manage to continue about 500 m where I suggested to turn back due to high risk of slip and fall hundreds of feet. You will definitely need crampons, axe and the experience of hiking this trail in summer to give it a shot in winter.

After you cross over the river in the beginning, the trail seems to be endless switchbacks that are surprisingly very steep. We reached the false summit but by that point the snow clouds had set in and we unfortunately didn’t get to experience the view. We ate lunch and warmed up a bit there and then continued on. As the trail turned into just rock we started losing site of the trail with all the snow. We ended up turning back rather than making the news as honeymooners stranded in snowstorm lol! I would definitely do this hike again if the weather was clear because from the glimpses we could get through clouds I’m sure the views are phenomenal! Not worth the effort in my opinion if the weather conditions aren’t so good.

my favorite hike, nature is the best!

The first part of the hike seems like endless switchbacks that take forever. Once you reach the cascade amphitheatre you have great views of Banff. There’s is a false summit so make sure you study the trail beforehand. The views of Lake Minnewanka once you have summited are beautiful!

The trail is difficult indeed, but so rewarding at the top, you discover a view that you can't even imagine when you are climbing up. The part in the woods is really long on the way back, but it's worth it! Carreful to follow the trail, it can be really dangerous to not follow it, mostly because of "the false summit".
We are super slow so it took us 10h return.
You won't be disappointed!

July 29, 2018

11 and a half long hours!

Unfortunately I saved this hike for my last after 4 days of continuous hiking in Banff. I wish I had fresher legs because I struggled most of the way up. Past the amphitheater the views are remarkable and worth the struggle. Once you are beyond the amphitheater the trail can be hard to find...just head to the top!

Its steep, long, technical, and unrelenting. Not for the faint of heart or occasional hiker. Make sure you've got the right gear, lots of water, and good weather. When you get through the rock filed around the first false peak and you see how much there still is to do, try not to cry (like I did).

My friends and I decided last night that we were going to do cascade tomorrow. Great trail but we got caught in two really bad lighting storms so both times we had to retreat to lower ground to seek shelter and wait it out. 3 hours passed and we made a final push to the summit and got down as quick as possible before more storm clouds rolled in. Made for an interesting adventure.

I have been dreading this hike ever since I arrived in Banff 16 months ago! My boyfriend was keen to do it so I reluctantly went along. I was pretty terrified after hearing ‘horror’ stories from friends about cliff drops, rock slides, scree fields and numerous false peaks. I prepared myself by reading trail reports, guide books and leaflets, gathering as much info as possible, being mentally prepared paid off! I loved this hike, don’t get me wrong it’s a tough long slog to the top but such diverse terrain! The thought of an ice lolly at the end from the Norquay summer lodge got me through the last 5km! Last note take bug spray for each way! Soooo many mosquitoes through the trees.

Fk me

Awesome views. Hard at the scramble means hard

View from the top was incredible. Definitely worth the extremely rigorous hike. Don’t give up on the endless switchbacks!

A great hike. Awesome views of Mt Rundle and Lake Minnewanka. Banff townsite and Mt Norquay are cool too. It’s a long one due to its trailhead at Mt Norquay so plan accordingly. Trail to the amphitheater is pretty much all in the trees. But after?....wow.

One of the best hike I've done in the Banff area, the scramble was fun to do. A good challenge too.

Trail is in good condition and generally clearly marked by Parks Canada, then by tape and cairns. Beware the false summit - go around to the right, do not try to climb down from it onto the trail.
very pretty views above the treeline.

It is quite a long and strenuous day...