Cascade Amphitheatre Trail is a 12.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Banff, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

12.4 km
871 m

The views are amazing, the hike is tough but worth it.

I reached the top in 2.5 hours. It’s not a true hard hike if you like challenge and if you are trained enough. Just be careful with the snow, I couldn’t see the track just after the false summit so I lost time and I put too much pressure for nothing. The view is gorgeous when the sky is clear, take some good gloves if you want to stay at the top coz you lose a lot of temperature. If you are a hiker you can’t leave Banff without doing this one !

We spent about 10 hours exploring the area, started at noon & got to the top without a hitch. It's super easy to follow the inukshuk's when youre going up, but on our way down we ended up getting lost in the scree area. The inukshuks blend in with all the other rocks.

Really enjoyed it, great view and an amazing adventure. I'd suggest doing it when there's less smoke though ^_^

We really liked this hike, but it’s mostly through the forest. Breaking out through the forest at the top is amazing, and there were a ton of pika- which are adorable.
We spent some time in the amphitheater watching the pika while we had lunch- they’re the reason I selected this trail. I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a challenge - it’s a long climb uphill.

Pretty amazing experience, even with the severely diminished views due to the smoke. Pay close attention to which trails you take up to the summit, some get very hairy very fast. A couple who turned back ahead of me stated that they got charged by a bear, and while I didn't see anything, bear spray and a big group would be very helpful!

We reached the false top in 3.5 hours. it's a hard hike if you are not fit. but if you are in a good condition you will be able to see the amazing view on Banff in few hours. Just be careful, you have to turn on the right just before the false summit. You have no sign on the trail and that's pretty sad. the way back into the forest is very boring. it will be challenging and you may be able to see some bears.

The hike was harder and more rewarding than we had anticipated. The trail takes you from Norquay parking lot near the chalet down toward a stream (roughly 200m decent) before crossing a river and starting the long 3.6km ascent to the amphitheater which is very close to the summit. Many of the hikers we passed did the summit via an off shoot trail fork about 50m before the amphitheatre. We stuck to the main trail and were rewarded with a breathtaking view of the bowl of the Cascade Mountian peaks.
We came prepared for a climb but I found my poles to be very helpful and I recommend taking breaks because there are times where the path is very steep and takes a lot of muscle power to traverse. There were signs of bear in the area but we did not encounter any.

Very nice hike. The beginning is quite easy. As you begin to climb the switchbacks it gets more challenging, but certainly very doable. We made it from the parking lot to the top in a little over two hours.
The hike itself is largely through the forest until you reach the amphitheater. Although there were a few wildflowers along the side of the trail, it is definitely not a wildflower hike. Although we met a few people along the way, we spent most of the time hiking by ourselves-a pleasant surprise!

Great hike.

trail is nice until you get near the summit where it turns into rocks and loose slag .. over all views were great and worth the hike.

Tough climb towards the end but the final view is well worth it.

The hike to the amphitheater is honestly a 2 star hike but jumps to a 5+ star only if you continue on to the Cascade Mountain summit. The trail below the amphitheater is mostly in the trees and doesn’t have any vistas or lookouts worth mentioning. If you’re like me, and want to see panoramic views, you must plan for more time and bag the summit. Mt Rundle from this elevation is simply breathtaking. In comparison to say Mt Temple, this is easier but takes longer because of the trailhead location, which is the parking lot of Mt Norquay.

Monday, September 11, 2017

I went on hiking this trail today and I ended up with a lot of frustration because of the Non Existing signaling. This is not acceptable in a National park like this one where ussualy I understand that you need to pay a fee/day of hiking. I am wondering why they ask an entrance fee???? This year was free because Canada 150. Thanks to this App I got to the starting point of the trail otherwhise I would got lost definetly. My today story is like this: In the morning I vent yo the information center where you get a flyer with the most popular trails in Banff National Park. Based on this flyer you can't find the trails itself sow I google it and I found this Awesome App. The app took me to the starting point of the trail. Here was a Sky resort where you can't find anything about this trail. I parked my car in this huge parking lot and I started walking. Nobody was here because off season but this did not stoped me to go further. I was keep walking for about an Kilometer and at some point I found a very small signage where was the direction to the actuall trail. I followed up the trail for about 3 hours in the forest. At some point was an intersection With No Signage and I had to chose one way. I chosed the wrong way of course and ended up in a huge valey after almost one hour of walking. So I came back and when I riched that intersection again I meet some people coming from the other way and I asked them how can I get to the top. They said that's the good path and there is an hour more hiking to get to the top. Sow I had to turn back because was to late and my wife was very tired and she was afraid that we will not get back in time before gets dark. This was a god decision because the sun was down when we got down. Sow thank you Banff National Park Canada that you put my life to risk and waisted my all day because of not putting any signs on the mountain.
I did many hikes back in my home country Romania but never hapent this to me. Everything there is very well signaled to not get lost on the mountain. I wanted so much to visit this park for long time ago. I payed a lot of money to get here and after this I don't want to try any other trail because I don't feel safe. I am frustrated because I came here! Sow be carefull all of you!!!!

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Good, fairly hard workout. Smoky day so could not see anything down. Pay attention to the markers, especially when traversing the back side of the mountain.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

A nice walk in the wood, but no view. Not well indicated where to start. Nice only on top.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Drop down into valley from ski area and then grind your way upward on a medium incline horse trail before bearing right for a steeper wide foot path. Levels out in last stretch in a hanging valley, lake and view of the amphitheatre. 670m gain over 3.5 klm of the 5.5 trail = 5.2 average incline rating.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Restricted access!!!! Must travel in groups of four, an bring bear spray! Beautiful hike a little challenging!