Carthew Alderson Trail

Carthew Alderson Trail is a 20.3 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Improvement District No. 4, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 20.3 km Elevation Gain: 997 m Route Type: Point to Point

This stands out as one of the best hikes I have ever done, and I have done a lot. The first 7 miles is hands down the most consistently beautiful hike of my life. We hiked this in late July, 2014. After walking through the woods for the first mile plus, you emerge from the trees and hike along wide open shale to the top. Glacial lakes dominate the scenery to your right. The 360 degree view at the top was magnificent while we enjoyed our lunch break. The next few miles were equally spectacular as we passed the Carthew Lakes and Alderson Lake. Sections of trail were still cover in snow shining in the sun. Alderson Lake had icebergs back in the shadows. Every 50 feet was another photo op on a picture perfect 70 degree summer day. Now the last four miles are through the somewhat buggy woods to town, but the first seven miles was oh so worth it!

Sun Jun 17 2018

I have done this trail a few times, mainly to complete the Triple Crown and the Fantastic Four (which Pearls Cafe no longer does). Not on of my personal favorites compared to the other hikes for the Triple Crown but still gorgeous scenery.

Thu Jan 25 2018

Beautiful!! We started from the lake and hiked back into town. I wouldn’t have done it any other way. The last few km weren’t too exciting but overall a wonderful hike. Gorgeous views!

Thu Aug 03 2017

Great hike. More of a gradual incline with a few tougher steep parts. Few parts have shale, the rest is a nice trail! Beautiful views and lakes

Mon Jul 31 2017

Awesome hike, will be doing it again sometime next year, hopefully as part of the triple crown challenge. Amazing views and animal life. We took the shuttle from Tamarack in Waterton and walked back on the trail to the town. I would rate this trail as moderate to difficult. Avid hikers will find this hike easy but for those who don't do too much endurance hiking you may find your legs a bit noodle-like by the end of the day!

Thu Mar 22 2018