Learn more

Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rocky View County, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 8.1 mi Elevation gain 1,594 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Scramble

Description
Waypoints (1)

The 7 km gated access road is located on the north end of the Canyon Creek parking lot down Canyon Creek Road. This parking area is signed "Ing's Mine" along Hwy 66. The trail head is located on the access road after a fork in the road, and before the helicopter landing area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (448)
Photos (369)
Recordings (254)
Completed (987)
Kennedy Connors
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Good trail

View Kennedy's Recording
Stephan Roy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingRocky

hello fellow all trailiens, did this hike with my 13 and 16 year old boys and my wife. From the start of the parking lot you will follow a gravel service roadall the way up to the a y in the road stay left. This could easily be done by bicycle. Then take the path through the woods right before the substation. this is where the hiking begins. it's a steap climb up to the mouth of the ice cave. If you are looking uphill to the ice cave go 20 feet to the left and you will see a big crevice with a small waterfall below. Also for a more challenging return to your vehicle, try using the creek bed to return to your vehicle.

Jesse V
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Finally got around to doing this hike. Glad we read the other suggestions to bike from the parking lot. We did it with a 10 yr old, 7 yr old and dog. Bring a headlamp and sweater for the cave as it's quite cold.

View Jesse's Recording
Amy Xia
Hiking

Super cool cave to explore. It’s chilly and pitch dark in there, so bring a long sleeve and headlamps. The destination is worth the journey — aka the long gravel road leading up to the start of the hike. A bit of scramble at the top, but nothing too bad.

Shannon McGuey
Hiking

Great trail, we were a group with a 4 year old, a baby on one our backs and a dog and managed okay. The trail to the entrance is a long walk so if you have the option to ride a bike in do. There are some challenging parts but overall good hike. Trail was totally clear.

Alice Chester
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingRockyScramble

We would definitely take our bikes if we go back. That 5 kms coming back on uneven surface road made the feet ache once we got home. Beautiful scenery and listen for the birds.

Frank Blanchard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

It was a super hike! Other than the fact that you got to walk on a road for quite a long time, the climb to the cave is quite easy and very enjoyable! The cave itself is absolutely stunning! I highly suggest that you bring a frontal flash light, and some gloves and small coat, because its quite cold inside the cave! Hope you enjoy!!

Sarah Crerar
HikingRockyScramble

Will be doing this again! So much fun to bike in and out. Headlamps are a must in the caves.

View Sarah's Recording
Krystal Worth
HikingIcyScramble

We completed this one about three weeks ago. It was about 5kms uphill on a gravel road to the trailhead. We biked this part - I would suggest a mountain bike if you have one. The view is still nice but I would think it would be quite a boring walk, you will pass oilfield compressors and such as this is a service road. We found it a little tricky to find the trailhead (note: we have now bought the app for the maps!) Once you get to the end of the road and the base of the trail you can lock your bikes up if you like. The next part is a nice, but steep 1-1/2km hike up through a forest area. My best advice is to follow the orange ribbon markers at this point. Once you pop out of the forest you start to get into some loose shale. I found this challenging and would definitely recommend proper hiking shoes/boots for the grip. After reading all of the reviews that said it was easy etc. I only had running shoes - my bad!! I was slipping and it was very scary. (I know have a good pair of hiking shoes!!) I was not prepared for the scramble. Be aware of rocks falling. Up a bit further heading up into the cave the rocks were bigger and I felt more comfortable gripping those than climbing the scree. Be careful if you are taking small children or dogs. The trail says dog friendly however I personally am glad I left my dog at home for this as I needed my hands for climbing and won’t let my dog off leash. Once up to the caves the view was fabulous. As suggested take headlamps, a jacket and gloves. Some others might want spikes for the icy floor or helmets. The ice pillars/formations were spectacular. I would think it’s better to go in late spring or early summer before things melt too much. We explored a bit but rain was expected so we didn’t go in as deep as some. The way down was slippery (again I should have had proper footwear - lesson learned!) and tough on the knees. I was so thankful to get down to the forest part of the hike and then enjoy the bike ride (it was a glide) downhill. We saw a marmot on the way back to the parking lot. This hike took us 3.5 hours with stopping and having our lunch etc. I should mention there are washrooms at the parking lot as well. I hope you find this helpful as I found some reviews misleading. I am obviously not a pro hiker so this might be more for the regular folk like me. ;)

Mark Creamer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingRockyScramble

I won't spoil what's inside the ice cave, but let's just say it's well worth the short hike up! The trail head can be hard to locate, although with this app in hand I'm sure you'll find it no sweat. Make sure you have a good flashlight! If you're into geocaching, also bring a GPS. ;) Happy exploring!

Tamara Keller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
Hiking

We biked from the parking lot to the trail head - well worth it for the zippy ride back after the visit to the ice cave. Don’t forget a sweater and your head lamps. We took the ‘adventure’ approach, which was minor (?) scramble. Definitely worth it for the ice cave. The boys (14 and 12) felt it very worth while.

Derrick Shirley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 01 2020
HikingRocky

Great hike and adventure. took two 7 year olds on foot from the parking lot which took about 5 hours round trip. Go early in the season and you'll see more ice in the caves (we went 2nd week of June). Bring headlamps, sweaters, and gloves for the cave, it gets cold in there. Next time we'll bring mountain bikes as it will be quicker.

Tina Brunskill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingIcyMuddyOff trailRockyScramble

Nice trail, I’d really recommend biking in and hiking to the top. The bike ride un is a bit tough but it’s all worth it for the nice cave and easy glide out. Be careful, when the trail splits off straight up or continues straight ahead you need to keep going ahead, not up.

Parth Patel
HikingScrambleSnow

Amazing hike. If you have a mountain bike take it to save a lot of walking to the trail head. There were a lot of cows on the road to the trial head. At the top once the trees cleared up it got rocky and had to scramble up very steep and loose rocks so on the way down you have to take it easy

View Parth's Recording
Ankita Ghosh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingIcyRockyScramble

An amazing hike though we had to climb the rocks to reach the cave. The trail is covered with lose rocks. The end view of icicles worth the hike.