Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail

Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail is a 13.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

13.2 km
735 m

cave

Fun hike! If you have a bike it's definitely faster to get to the trail head, but you can walk the dirt road. Cave is very cool bring a head lamp!

Fun hike. Cool cave (no pun intended). You’re better off to ride a bike up the 6km access road to the actual trail head. Other than that it’s a really enjoyable scramble and the views are great!

Favourite local hike! Recommend biking in as is a pretty walk but a bit tedious to walk both ways, easy bike ride. Trailhead starts on the right where the road ends and easy to follow, tie bike to trees here. Have done this hike 3 times and froze on the open scree section and couldn't get to the cave on my first attempt and have seen others do the same-it's steep! So worth it to push on and go up into the cave. Big temperature drop only a few feet in, pretty cool to venture inside but bring a jacket and light. I somehow get off the main trail every single time I've hiked back down but just follow the river back to the road.

Easy going up, but a little hard the way down for the kids

A great hike for beginner intermediate. Grunt up but nice cool in cave.

Beautiful view. Started raining on the way down so it was a bit slippery on the rocks

Great hike.

Walking the 6k road up to the trail head is long, and I'll definitely be bringing my bike next time. The hike up the trail itself is a bit rough for novice hiker, but excellent exercise, and the cave at the end is a wonderful payoff.

Had a lot of fun and will be doing it again.

For sure bring a bike for the first half. Loved all the markers on the trees was very helpful, high incline, worth the treck. Don't forget your flashlight or head lamp!

getting to the cave is worth it. I agree with the other reviewers, a bike to get down the gravel road to and from the trail is a must. we brought our 11 mo pup. she struggled up the mountainside due to all the loose rock and the steep climb. she also couldn't go very far back in the cave. she enjoyed herself and was tired by the time we got back to the lot.

I'd do this hike again but leave our dog at home and bring a bike. also it was hot, so I'd bring way more water than I think I'd need next time.

For me this hike was just OK. The long gravel road in and out was boring and no shade. Once you get to the trail head marker - you are going straight up until you get to the cave. It's a good scramble but the rocks are a bit slippery and loose - my son fell several times going up and again coming down. I'd definitely recommend hiking poles - they helped tremendously. Once you get to the cave, the temperature drops significantly, bring a sweater or light jacket! I'd also recommend a really good flash light - the cave goes back pretty far and between my cell phone flashlight and my sons small dollar store flashlight, it was hard to see and explore. Pretty nice views from the base of the cave.
We spent about 30m inside the cave, ate lunch, then headed back. Somehow we took a wrong path back which added maybe a km or so but all together it took us 4.5 hours - without an 11 year old I'd say 3.5 is doable.
Also just to note - we went on a Wednesday morning/afternoon and only saw one other group - maybe we just got lucky but it was a super quiet day!

The long 7km walk along the gravel road is what kept me from giving this trail 5 stars. I would suggest bringing a bike and locking it to a tree which we saw a couple of people do. The scrambling was so much fun and the view outside as well as the inside of the cave was so beautiful! The ice huge pillar was melted but there were tons of patches of ice on rocks. I'll probably come back and do this hike in the spring instead to catch more ice formations.

You walk along an oil & gas road for quite a while - nearly 6km to reach the (marked) trailhead.

The trail itself is great - a short hike and then a bit of a scramble up to the cave. The cave itself is pretty cool (it literally drops significantly in temperature inside) and is fun to explore. The long walk along the road isn't bad (after the first half there is some good scenery too) but there is no shade and you're walking on gravel.

I wished we'd brought our bikes and biked the road and then done the hike as it would've been much quicker and more enjoyable.