Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail

Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail is a 13.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

13.2 km
735 m

cave

For me this hike was just OK. The long gravel road in and out was boring and no shade. Once you get to the trail head marker - you are going straight up until you get to the cave. It's a good scramble but the rocks are a bit slippery and loose - my son fell several times going up and again coming down. I'd definitely recommend hiking poles - they helped tremendously. Once you get to the cave, the temperature drops significantly, bring a sweater or light jacket! I'd also recommend a really good flash light - the cave goes back pretty far and between my cell phone flashlight and my sons small dollar store flashlight, it was hard to see and explore. Pretty nice views from the base of the cave.
We spent about 30m inside the cave, ate lunch, then headed back. Somehow we took a wrong path back which added maybe a km or so but all together it took us 4.5 hours - without an 11 year old I'd say 3.5 is doable.
Also just to note - we went on a Wednesday morning/afternoon and only saw one other group - maybe we just got lucky but it was a super quiet day!

The long 7km walk along the gravel road is what kept me from giving this trail 5 stars. I would suggest bringing a bike and locking it to a tree which we saw a couple of people do. The scrambling was so much fun and the view outside as well as the inside of the cave was so beautiful! The ice huge pillar was melted but there were tons of patches of ice on rocks. I'll probably come back and do this hike in the spring instead to catch more ice formations.

You walk along an oil & gas road for quite a while - nearly 6km to reach the (marked) trailhead.

The trail itself is great - a short hike and then a bit of a scramble up to the cave. The cave itself is pretty cool (it literally drops significantly in temperature inside) and is fun to explore. The long walk along the road isn't bad (after the first half there is some good scenery too) but there is no shade and you're walking on gravel.

I wished we'd brought our bikes and biked the road and then done the hike as it would've been much quicker and more enjoyable.

The only reason I gave this hike 4 stars is because of the 5km walk on a boring gravel road to get to the trail head.
Once you get to the trail head and start down the trail you get to a fork....turn left!
It is quite a scramble up but it was very enjoyable and I didn't find it difficult! The view at the top of so beautiful! And the Caves are spectacular! They are worth the boring walk down the gravel road!
I wouldn't use a flash light but would use an actual head lamp. The trail itself wasn't too busy but up at the Caves was packed! There were some people who decided to make a rock slide which was very dangerous and it made coming back down a little more challenging.

started our hike from the road, first thing we saw was a bear. he sure took off when he saw us. long hike down the road 5.7 until the trail head. then started up the trail. great trip up to the cave entrance. my first scramble. at the entrance to the cave I thought rocks were falling when all of the sudden a mountain goat came running full steam out!! wow, nothing to do but make sure he didn't come at me and send me down the hill! no picture considering I was trying to stay out of his way. nice and cool inside the cave. went as far back as we could. headlamps are definitely a must. we decided to head straight down the rock side rather than the trail itself to the creek bed. straight down, some dicey moments this way but got down safely.

Majority of the trail is on a wide gravel road, lots of bikers, great to let dogs run. Use the gps to find the path that leads up to the cave. The ascent is steep but doesn't take long. The cave is cold, but you can explore very far back! A headlamp, gloves and extra layer recommended.

Really enjoyed the hike! The scramble up to the cave was fun and the cave was really neat! Will definitely do it again! Took 4.5 hours.