Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail

Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail is a 12.9 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

12.9 km
500 m

cave

Definitely make sure to bring headlamps for each member of your group.

Awesome hike with great reward at the end. I believe this is also called inges mine??? Very hot to do in summer. No shade on trail.

This is a great warm up hike to shake things out for the season. I’ve done it a few times and have enjoyed it every time.

Once you get to the trail, it's great. The long boring walk along the service road to get there was unbearable. The cave is a sight to behold. The light scramble to get up there was fun, not very technical, very accessible.

Definitely would recommend taking your bike tor the service road. We did this hike on Saturday and the hike was nice. Would also recommend poles when getting to the top close to the caves. Nice hike !

This trail was very nice. Taking our bikes made the trip a lot more enjoyable. The hike to the caves was not as perilous as some have suggested. It was a enjoyable and unique hike that does not take up your whole day.

A friend and I completed this trail yesterday and it was great. As many people have previously stated, the walk along the service road is long but with good conversation it went by quickly - or bring bikes for the road. As you approach the end of the road where a large shell site is located, look for the orange diamond trail marker on the right side of the road. By this point you can definitely see the cave in front of you, as well as the neighboring caves. We kept to a trail/direction that diagonally worked up the slope, with a brief straight up climb towards the cave opening. It begins to get steeper as the trail comes out of the trees but it is manageable, just take your time and look a head of you to plan your route towards the cave. We were the only people on this section of trail but be cautious of rocks rolling down from people above you or you releasing rocks towards people below you.

After exploring the cave and having lunch, we headed down towards the creek bed and met up with the trail that parallels along the creek to the shell site, and from there followed the road back to the car park. Definitely remember to bring head lamps/flashlights so you can explore the cave and the multiple caverns within the main cave. You may also want to bring trekking poles to assist with the portion of the hike from the end of the service road to the caves, and back down through the loose scree. Definitely worth the short but steep hike towards the cave from the service road, the views within and along the outside of the cave are awesome!

I’d almost say this trail is difficult because once you get up into the scramble it’s slippery and there are lots of false trails. But getting to the top is worth it to see the cave - bring good shoes and extra layers and a flashlight so you can explore deeper into the cave (jackets recommended as the cave is quite chilly)!

from the parking lot it's 6 km to get to the trailhead. it's on a flat long hot boring gravel Service Road that takes forever to walk down. I would highly recommend bringing a bike to do this. By the time we got to the trailhead it was so hot and it also takes a lot out of you coming back down that road after the hike to the lot. once you start the trail though it's a pretty good hike. some Woody sections, Rocky sections and rooty sections. The first 3/4 of the hike I'd rate as easy. The last 1/4 I'd rate as hard. once you come out of the trees you're faced with roughly a thousand foot climb up a fairly steep grade. loose Rock and big rock everywhere so you have to keep your eyes open for people above you knocking them down and coming at you. there's multiple ways up to the opening of The Cave. Some are easier than others with one section being scramble and bouldering. the cave is super cool and I found it to be quite a challenge to get up that main slope to the entrance. I would highly recommend bringing poles just for some extra security on the way down. overall I'd rate the hike as moderate in difficulty. walking from the parking lot to the cave and back took roughly 5 hours. would definitely do again but not without a bike for that Gravel Road. so brutal

Wish I had brought a bike for the first 6kms down the gravel road. Lost the trail a couple times, definitely wear good shoes for this one.

Awesome hike. Fun caves. Bring a sweater and flash light. It's cold and dark in the cave.

This was a great hike! At the very end it's almost a scramble up to the cave, but it was a nice change after walking in on the road, I would recommend walking up the river bed instead of the road.

Fun hike! If you have a bike it's definitely faster to get to the trail head, but you can walk the dirt road. Cave is very cool bring a head lamp!

Fun hike. Cool cave (no pun intended). You’re better off to ride a bike up the 6km access road to the actual trail head. Other than that it’s a really enjoyable scramble and the views are great!

Favourite local hike! Recommend biking in as is a pretty walk but a bit tedious to walk both ways, easy bike ride. Trailhead starts on the right where the road ends and easy to follow, tie bike to trees here. Have done this hike 3 times and froze on the open scree section and couldn't get to the cave on my first attempt and have seen others do the same-it's steep! So worth it to push on and go up into the cave. Big temperature drop only a few feet in, pretty cool to venture inside but bring a jacket and light. I somehow get off the main trail every single time I've hiked back down but just follow the river back to the road.

Easy going up, but a little hard the way down for the kids

A great hike for beginner intermediate. Grunt up but nice cool in cave.

Beautiful view. Started raining on the way down so it was a bit slippery on the rocks

Great hike.

Walking the 6k road up to the trail head is long, and I'll definitely be bringing my bike next time. The hike up the trail itself is a bit rough for novice hiker, but excellent exercise, and the cave at the end is a wonderful payoff.

Had a lot of fun and will be doing it again.

For sure bring a bike for the first half. Loved all the markers on the trees was very helpful, high incline, worth the treck. Don't forget your flashlight or head lamp!

getting to the cave is worth it. I agree with the other reviewers, a bike to get down the gravel road to and from the trail is a must. we brought our 11 mo pup. she struggled up the mountainside due to all the loose rock and the steep climb. she also couldn't go very far back in the cave. she enjoyed herself and was tired by the time we got back to the lot.

I'd do this hike again but leave our dog at home and bring a bike. also it was hot, so I'd bring way more water than I think I'd need next time.

For me this hike was just OK. The long gravel road in and out was boring and no shade. Once you get to the trail head marker - you are going straight up until you get to the cave. It's a good scramble but the rocks are a bit slippery and loose - my son fell several times going up and again coming down. I'd definitely recommend hiking poles - they helped tremendously. Once you get to the cave, the temperature drops significantly, bring a sweater or light jacket! I'd also recommend a really good flash light - the cave goes back pretty far and between my cell phone flashlight and my sons small dollar store flashlight, it was hard to see and explore. Pretty nice views from the base of the cave.
We spent about 30m inside the cave, ate lunch, then headed back. Somehow we took a wrong path back which added maybe a km or so but all together it took us 4.5 hours - without an 11 year old I'd say 3.5 is doable.
Also just to note - we went on a Wednesday morning/afternoon and only saw one other group - maybe we just got lucky but it was a super quiet day!

The long 7km walk along the gravel road is what kept me from giving this trail 5 stars. I would suggest bringing a bike and locking it to a tree which we saw a couple of people do. The scrambling was so much fun and the view outside as well as the inside of the cave was so beautiful! The ice huge pillar was melted but there were tons of patches of ice on rocks. I'll probably come back and do this hike in the spring instead to catch more ice formations.

You walk along an oil & gas road for quite a while - nearly 6km to reach the (marked) trailhead.

The trail itself is great - a short hike and then a bit of a scramble up to the cave. The cave itself is pretty cool (it literally drops significantly in temperature inside) and is fun to explore. The long walk along the road isn't bad (after the first half there is some good scenery too) but there is no shade and you're walking on gravel.

I wished we'd brought our bikes and biked the road and then done the hike as it would've been much quicker and more enjoyable.

The only reason I gave this hike 4 stars is because of the 5km walk on a boring gravel road to get to the trail head.
Once you get to the trail head and start down the trail you get to a fork....turn left!
It is quite a scramble up but it was very enjoyable and I didn't find it difficult! The view at the top of so beautiful! And the Caves are spectacular! They are worth the boring walk down the gravel road!
I wouldn't use a flash light but would use an actual head lamp. The trail itself wasn't too busy but up at the Caves was packed! There were some people who decided to make a rock slide which was very dangerous and it made coming back down a little more challenging.

started our hike from the road, first thing we saw was a bear. he sure took off when he saw us. long hike down the road 5.7 until the trail head. then started up the trail. great trip up to the cave entrance. my first scramble. at the entrance to the cave I thought rocks were falling when all of the sudden a mountain goat came running full steam out!! wow, nothing to do but make sure he didn't come at me and send me down the hill! no picture considering I was trying to stay out of his way. nice and cool inside the cave. went as far back as we could. headlamps are definitely a must. we decided to head straight down the rock side rather than the trail itself to the creek bed. straight down, some dicey moments this way but got down safely.

Majority of the trail is on a wide gravel road, lots of bikers, great to let dogs run. Use the gps to find the path that leads up to the cave. The ascent is steep but doesn't take long. The cave is cold, but you can explore very far back! A headlamp, gloves and extra layer recommended.

Really enjoyed the hike! The scramble up to the cave was fun and the cave was really neat! Will definitely do it again! Took 4.5 hours.

great view

the way to the trail head is boring ..slightly uphill most of the way..but the way back is down hill the kids had a blast ..from the trail head to the tree line is ok with 3 kids 12 8 and 6 .. the cave entrance watch out coz it's slippery just stick with the big rocks ...besides that the cave is astonishing the kids enjoyed it very much ..too bad the ice closed the rooms at the back