Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail is a 13.0 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rocky View County, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.0 km Elevation Gain: 486 m Route Type: Out & Back

cave

The 7 km gated access road is located on the north end of the Canyon Creek parking lot down Canyon Creek Road. This parking area is signed "Ing's Mine" along hwy 22x. The trail head is located on the access road after a fork in the road, and before the helicopter landing area.

32 minutes ago

icy

A pretty easy hike for experienced hikers, and a good spot to start for beginners. The gravel road in and back out is long and uneventful I will say.....We saw some people bike into this portion of the hike and left the bikes at the bottom of where the upwards trailhead began. We were certainly jealous of this and will bring bikes next time!! The ice cave was very cool though, I recommend head lamps and to be careful as the rocks can be slippery in the cave. Overall a nice hike and would recommend! Side Note: Download the map on AllTrails as there are a few random trails that can lead to what looks like caves but are not.

Great hike! Long boring road to get to the main hike but the caves make it worth it Bring a light!

Nice easy hike. It’s approx 5kms in and out on a road, and then just a few on trail to the actual ice cave. Worth it though, super neat to see! Make sure to bring your head lamp! Also...when you get to the actual trail, a little bit in you’ll see a trail to the right that is a bit of a scramble and steep...not the trail. Go left for the actual trail, nice easy route.

Overall I enjoyed it for my first hike. The long dirt road at the beginning may seem like a buzz kill but the ice cave makes it all worth it. I did find it very difficult once you turn off the dirt road and begin hiking up a steep hill but I was new to hiking in general so I understand many hikers have a way less harder time than I did. I honestly would NOT recommend this for kids and older pets. Many children were scared and lots had trouble going back down due to the very loose rocks. (yeah I slipped a few times haha). Also many owners were forced to carry their older dogs as they climbed some of the very steep rocks. All in all I do recommend this hike but just make sure you are prepared. Happy hiking!

ok I feel like people aren't being completely honest with this hike. the road to the hike is long and tedious. Half the people I saw were walking and half were riding their bikes. We walked and it was fine on the way there, some goats which are always fun to see. There are a few trails up and it is not always clear which trail to take. About half of the trail up is a scramble, even thought the trail up to the cave opening was dry, I saw lots of people slip coming down, including myself, and I have never slipped hiking. We saw people with dogs and children, lots of the children were scared or unable to do the scramble themselves, I also saw a few people having to let their dogs go off leash. The cave itself is neat, a bit slippery, amazing view. I did not go far in because it was busy and saw lots of people slipping. Coming down was killer on the feet and thighs, but fairly quick. Then you have the super long walk back to the lot. Someone on the trail asked if it was worth it when you got to the top and we honestly couldn't answer. So yes the destination is stunning, but I'm not going to under sell that this was a difficult and tedious hike. I'm sure there are lots of hikers that think this hike is easy, which is great! But I think it's only fair to warn other hikers that this hike may be more difficult than the reviews may lead you to believe.

icy

Trailhead is a bit less excitong but once you reach the valley the views and wildlife are worth it. Bring a headlamp to explore the cave it’s well worth it

This walk/hike was amazing - inside the cave is still a bit icy, so definitely be careful! Otherwise, some stunning views along the way - very enjoyable

If you are looking for an early season hike with minimal snow and rewarding views this is a great choice! We hiked this on May 24th and it was in great condition. The beginning of the hike is nothing to write home about. It is mostly flat road (I'm guessing a logging road or fire access road perhaps). Though this part isn't as nice as some hikes, there are some spots to stop by the creek. We brought our dogs along (on leash!!) and they loved the creek. After what felt like a while (we thought we must have taken a wrong turn at some point), the road ends and there is a small trail with a fairly steep incline, through the alpine. It is a beautiful trail that has amazing views, but it is fairly steep. After walking through the alpine, the trail turns in to a bit of a scramble. There is a lot of loose rock at the top on the way to the ice caves. Dogs and small children may have a hard time navigating this area. We had 2 Australian Shepherds who were able to make it up, however our German Shepherd stayed a bit lower with one of the hikers in our group. If you are familiar with scrambles and have solid hiking shoes, the scramble is well worth it as the views are stunning for a fairly easy hike! Just a friendly reminder that Kananaskis is ON LEASH as most of the dogs we came across were off leash.

we did this trail on the victoria day long weekend. the trail from the parking its longer than the actual trail going to the cave. half way trail to the cave its all scramble. cave is pretty cool. tho i didnt went inside, some people are in. i decided to keep distance. trails are all dry up, with mix of rock and small stones. keep an eye of your footing. some ice inside the cave and its kinda cold. overall, fun scrambling.

Did this May 16th. Trail and road were dry. Easy road walk in from gate. Took dog all the way. Cave worth the hike. Bring flashlight.

It’s a great hike. It’s mostly a dirt road to get to the bottom of the mountain then going up a steep slope and close to the cave climbing a bit. Make sure to check inside the cave and the ice pillars it’s amazing. Make sure leaning towards the mountain because some parts are really steep. So worth it. The road has nice views as well.

did this hike May 14th. you can walk or bike in the access road. the hike up to the cave is only .5 of a km & the majority of elevation gain. but short, doable for children & inexperienced hikers. trail is clear, easy to navigate. ice & rocks fall from above the cave, mind your head, wear a helmet if you have one. saw a fair sized black bear on the road walking in. he turned & walked when he saw us.

This is a long trek on an access toad to the actual trailhead, definitely use a mountain bike to get there. However the views along the road are beautiful. Lots of climbers on beautiful rock faces. The trail to the cave is short but very steep. A bit of a scramble to the actual cave. Go early to avoid too many people.

Quite a long walk to the actual trail head, id recommend biking out. Once you hit the trail, it’s only about half an hour up to the cave, it’s steep and quite challenging however views at the top are worth it! Trail is in great condition.

Such an amazing way to spend a day.Adventuring.Done twice in last few months.If you have helmets take them!ice is melting and falling constantly as are rocks .Not hard at all to get to,me and my small dog have done it alone twice..Amazing rocks and caves wow!

This was my first hike of the season. The trailhead was busy, but because it's such a large trail, you're not bumping into people constantly. In mid-May there isn't any snow on the trail. The first hour and a half, you'll be on a wide gravel trail. To be honest, this part of the trail is very easy and uneventful, although you get some beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. My friend and I walked the whole time, but I'd recommend instead to bring a bike. Once you get to the actual mountain, most people lock their bikes to the trees. From there, that's where the real climb comes. Lots of rocks, a bit of a scramble to get to the top. Even though this is like maybe 5% of the actual distance, it's 95% of the effort. When you get to the cave, it's such a treat, but make sure to wear shoes with great grip. I could see someone easily slipping as it's very icy and slippery and a lot of rocks and crevasses. If you don't have claustrophobia and have good gloves, you can really explore as deep as you want into the cave, but at that point I just chickened. This is a great hike for beginners that are looking for a bit of a physical challenge. The beginning is an easy walk on a steady incline, but for about a good hour you get a good workout. Exploring the cave at the end is a great payoff.

Long road walk with great Moutain views make the majority of this trip really easy. The last km ascent to the cave is challenging through the trees and even more challenging if you scramble up the loose rock. The cave is short, but large and amazing.

Bring a bike. The 5k ride from the parking lot is a breeze. Easy to lock down at the trailhead. Speaking of which, it’s a hard trail to find. We ended up going vertical too quickly and that resulted in lots of scrambling. Found some fossils on the shale slope, so that was cool. The notch you’re gunning for is further west than you think, so stay low before heading straight up. Got very busy in late morning.