Bourgeau Lake Trail

Bourgeau Lake Trail is a 17.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Improvement District No. 9, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

17.5 km
1269 m

It's about 2.5km past the Sunshine Village exit heading west on the TransCanada Highway. It can be accessed going both east and west. There is marked signage both directions.

Great hike! I would say it’s pretty easy me and my friend got to the lake in about 2.5 hours. The trail is maintained nicely and the reward at the end is very worth it.

In all fairness, we did not make it all the way to the lake. We hiked this trail in late May after a hard winter. The glacial runoff was extremely swift and wide, and we didn't have hiking poles nor gaiters with us. We only made it 3.2 miles in. We crossed several wide snow patches as we climbed, but the views near our turning point made the hike worthwhile. The moderate rating on this trail was accurate due to the climb and the snowy patches involved.

Amazing view on the top!
However lots of switch backs and you dont have views for first couple hours.

Trail up is a bit boring, although felt rewarded by the nice colourful reflective lake at the top. Didn’t require snowshoes as some commenters are suggesting- I was there in August, I think. Reading the reviews and seeing photos I think it would have been worth it to press on beyond Bourgeau Lake but we ran out of time.

Easily one of my favourite hikes! Not too difficult. Worth it to go all the way up to Harvey’s pass!

I really liked this one, pleasant grind up to the lake. Needed to switch to snowshoes once at the base of Black Brett, the snow gets DEEP. Had to bail on the plan to get to Harvey's Pass as going through the trees with the deep snow was too unstable to walk through.

Will be back in the summer to tackle the pass and the summit

Awesome trip. Trail up the hill is well packed so microspikes best. Once you hit the upper bowl snow is pretty deep so snowshoes would be better. To go to Bourgeau lake veer left at the meadow. If there are trails heading straight towards the trees then right, they are heading to Harvey pass.

Agree with previous reviews re: worth the effort to finish out the trail. Perfect day!

Great hike didn't quite make it to the top but next time

While there is a lot of hiking through the trees to get to the lake, the views and variation from the lake to Harvey Pass are well worth the effort.

Hike leading up to Bourgeau is pretty easy. Awesome views of the lake, but turn around and get the view of the valley. Really cool. Highly recommend the additional 1.5 miles up to Harvey Lake and Pass. You will see 3 additional lakes!!! It's pretty steep though leading up to the second lake. A bit of a rock scramble, but doable. Explore the paths on top of the Pass for some awesome views!!

Highly recommend continuing the extra ~3km past Bourgeau lake up to Harvey lake.

Uphill all the way without views until the waterfall (which was lovely). We turned around there.

Great picnicking at the pass!! Unreal views in all directions!!

Overall, a great day hike. My wife and I went all the way up to Harvey Lake (and I went a little further up to the pass overlooking the next range of mountains) and it took us a little over 6 hours. We are in good shape but we weren't exactly running down the trail.

I'd give the hike 5 stars but the first few kilometers aren't much to see as you're walking through the trees. It's a nice path, wide and well-maintained, with a moderate incline. About halfway up it gets steeper but not too bad. The views once you reach the lake are fantastic! I'd highly recommend going a little further up to Harvey Lake. We saw a small herd of mountain sheep up there.

Such a beautiful day hike. There are a few lakes to stop and enjoy along the way to the top of the mountain. Some scrambling, but nothing extreme. I'd easily do this hike again.

Great hike! Challenging but not crazy difficult. Definitely spend the extra time hiking beyond Bourgeau and up to Harvey Lake if you can; the view over towards Sunshine is great. Patches of snow were still around between the Bourgeau and Harvey Lakes but packed down enough by others that it wasn't anything to worry about. The scramble after Bourgeau Lake was fairly steep and loose small rocks made grip a bit lacking sometimes coming back down, just take your time. We didn't have any, but hiking poles would help!

My wife and I did this in 7h 20m with a few stops along the way for snacks/lunch and to take in the views. If it helps with context, we're fit enough that the "Moderate" rating of this trail I'd say is accurate, but at a guess if you're extremely fit and/or run part of this you could probably do close to 6h return. If you are less fit or want to take your time appreciating everything around you, maybe plan for 8-9h round trip.

Very steep final section was a bit tricky but late June snowpack and small bergy bits floating in the turquoise lake were well worth the effort. Don't go up without plenty of water, bear spray and wind proof clothing - it's a lot cooler up top.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

A good leg burner, the lake was a nice spot to stop and have lunch on top of a big boulder. Saw a few people along the way (did this hike in the summer of 2016), but it wasn't too crowded. A marmot poked his head out of the brush to investigate on our way back down. We stopped at borgeau lake, but perhaps next time will continue on to Harvey lake.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

wait for the snow to melt.... we blazed a trail through 4ft deep snow. added a good two hours

Monday, September 05, 2016

Well maintained and marked trail just off Trans Canada highway. It's about 2.5km past the Sunshine Village exit heading west on the TC. It can be accessed going both east and west. There is marked signage both directions.

Nice steady incline through the forest. It was early September when we went and there was lots of moss and snow on the tops of the mountains. It had been a rainy week and had some muddy sections but I would still rate this trail easy-moderate. It took us 4 hours (at a brisk pace) up to Bourgeau Lake and back. It's just over 16km round trip and 1000 metre elevation gain. If you felt up to it you can continue on this trail to Harvey Pass.

Beautiful trail through the forest. Towards the end it opens up to very nice views of the mountains. The lake is pristine and has a beautiful setting. Will definitely do this hike again! I imagine it would be excellent on a hot summer day as there is lots of tree cover.