Bourgeau Lake Trail

Bourgeau Lake Trail is a 18.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Improvement District No. 9, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

18 km
1512 m

It's about 2.5km past the Sunshine Village exit heading west on the TransCanada Highway. It can be accessed going both east and west. There is marked signage both directions.

18 minutes ago

Uphill all the way without views until the waterfall (which was lovely). We turned around there.

Great picnicking at the pass!! Unreal views in all directions!!

Overall, a great day hike. My wife and I went all the way up to Harvey Lake (and I went a little further up to the pass overlooking the next range of mountains) and it took us a little over 6 hours. We are in good shape but we weren't exactly running down the trail.

I'd give the hike 5 stars but the first few kilometers aren't much to see as you're walking through the trees. It's a nice path, wide and well-maintained, with a moderate incline. About halfway up it gets steeper but not too bad. The views once you reach the lake are fantastic! I'd highly recommend going a little further up to Harvey Lake. We saw a small herd of mountain sheep up there.

Such a beautiful day hike. There are a few lakes to stop and enjoy along the way to the top of the mountain. Some scrambling, but nothing extreme. I'd easily do this hike again.

Great hike! Challenging but not crazy difficult. Definitely spend the extra time hiking beyond Bourgeau and up to Harvey Lake if you can; the view over towards Sunshine is great. Patches of snow were still around between the Bourgeau and Harvey Lakes but packed down enough by others that it wasn't anything to worry about. The scramble after Bourgeau Lake was fairly steep and loose small rocks made grip a bit lacking sometimes coming back down, just take your time. We didn't have any, but hiking poles would help!

My wife and I did this in 7h 20m with a few stops along the way for snacks/lunch and to take in the views. If it helps with context, we're fit enough that the "Moderate" rating of this trail I'd say is accurate, but at a guess if you're extremely fit and/or run part of this you could probably do close to 6h return. If you are less fit or want to take your time appreciating everything around you, maybe plan for 8-9h round trip.

Very steep final section was a bit tricky but late June snowpack and small bergy bits floating in the turquoise lake were well worth the effort. Don't go up without plenty of water, bear spray and wind proof clothing - it's a lot cooler up top.

A good leg burner, the lake was a nice spot to stop and have lunch on top of a big boulder. Saw a few people along the way (did this hike in the summer of 2016), but it wasn't too crowded. A marmot poked his head out of the brush to investigate on our way back down. We stopped at borgeau lake, but perhaps next time will continue on to Harvey lake.

wait for the snow to melt.... we blazed a trail through 4ft deep snow. added a good two hours

geocaching

Well maintained and marked trail just off Trans Canada highway. It's about 2.5km past the Sunshine Village exit heading west on the TC. It can be accessed going both east and west. There is marked signage both directions.

Nice steady incline through the forest. It was early September when we went and there was lots of moss and snow on the tops of the mountains. It had been a rainy week and had some muddy sections but I would still rate this trail easy-moderate. It took us 4 hours (at a brisk pace) up to Bourgeau Lake and back. It's just over 16km round trip and 1000 metre elevation gain. If you felt up to it you can continue on this trail to Harvey Pass.

Beautiful trail through the forest. Towards the end it opens up to very nice views of the mountains. The lake is pristine and has a beautiful setting. Will definitely do this hike again! I imagine it would be excellent on a hot summer day as there is lots of tree cover.