Boom Lake Trail

Boom Lake Trail is a 10.3 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Eldon, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.3 km
543 m

Easy family hike, we had kids with us ages from 5-10 and they had no problem finishing the hike. The hike was very pretty with all the fall colours showing in the bushes surrounding the trail. Although there is no great view until you reach the lake. It was muddy at some points but the kids enjoyed it trying to go through the water/mud on rocks and logs.

A decently easy hike without a steep incline to it. The trail was nice and Boom Lake at the end was most definitely worth the hike at the end.

Surrounded with some huge rocks it makes for a great spot to sit down and eat lunch while taking in the scenery. There was a loon calling, fish jumping and an eagle enjoying a fish dinner while I was there, making it even more enjoyable. I would do this trail again. I even lucked out and was able to chat with some Parks volunteers who were on the trail that day.

Probably a 3.5. The trail is pretty mellow and would be good for lots of different fitness levels (although it’s not appropriate for strollers, wheelchairs, etc.).

The lake at the end is very pretty and the trail wasn’t too busy on a weekday mid-morning, however the scenery was pretty unremarkable until we got to the lake (which took a little while).

Nice accessible hike to a great lake. Great for beginners, the trail is a bit uninteresting along the way, but the lake is worth it.

Awesome trail ! Lots to see, great view of the lake. Does tend to be pretty wet and muddy at some points.

Great family hike that included 6 adults with varying hiking experience and 6 kids ranging from 6-12. A little muddy in some spots but quite a nice trail. The lake was amazing however there were a lot of black flies closer to the water. We settled for lunch on one of the many large boulders set further back and enjoyed the scenery. It’s a little bit of a balancing act navigating close to the water as the rocks weren’t always stable. I’d do this hike again.

Beautiful!

Easy and relaxing hike. I got to the trailhead around 8:30 AM on a Saturday. I only passed two other couples on the way up and had the lake to myself for a while. On the way back I passed lots of hikers on their way to the lake and the parking lot was full when I got back to my car. I would recommend getting an early start to beat the crowds. Also, there were quite a few muddy spots along the trail that you have to deal with, but other than that the trail is in good shape.

Easy hike but really nice views!

Definitely makes you go “BOOM” when you see it!! Stunning view at the end!!! Not sure what the insect is called, but it looks like a little black fly, TONS of those at the lake and around it. We hiked to a spot where there was less of them.

it was ok. decently easy. lots of trees. then opens to the lake. no other views besides when you are at the lake. saw a decent number of people. lake was pretty.

Beautiful trail!

My family hiked here on May 27th. There were some slushy parts with snow and their melt making the ground pretty muddy and slushy in parts. We saw quite a few people easily doing the hike with sneakers but some nicer boots and gaiters would take away the yuck factor.

I hauled my kid up in a backpack weighing total of 50 lbs so it was a good workout and felt like uphill both ways but with a light pack it’s pretty easy.

At the end the view of Boom lake is amazing and did a nice picnic lunch on the rocks by the lake.

Fairly easy trail and worth the effort for the view at the end

Went there yesterday on May Long and overall a nice trail with gradual climb at the beginning, but still quite muddy and about half way in there began to have a good amount of snow. People walked out a slightly hard packed snow path but it is easy to step an inch or two off the path and get yourself into some knee deep snow so be prepared to bring extra socks because they will likely get wet on your way in & out.

Nice trail! Did with a doggo who also enjoyed it. No signs for Boom lake if you’re coming from Radium way, look out for the turning! Did with cleats on but would probably be fine without. Nice opening at the end where the snowy frozen lake is, would be pretty sweet in the summertime!

We took our XC skis out February 21 and there was plenty of snow. Beautiful hike in the trees until we got to the lake where it opens up to Mountain View’s. Great trail we will come again.

A well maintained trail. Beautiful forested hike. The lake itself is huge and crystal clear. Very few people on this trail today making for some wonderful private views of the lake. There’s a great spot just past the rock pile that acts as a “point” and offers a panoramic view of this lake. You can really take in the grandeur of the surrounding mountains from here. A little clearing offered the perfect spot to eat lunch and play dice. Grab a coffee at Storm mountain lodge by their fireplace before your drive back to Banff or Calgary as well.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Effort to reward ratio is 1:3. Great easy hike.

Monday, September 18, 2017

I cross country skied this trail and it is amazing. It turned dark and there was a clear sky with a full moon. As we skied across the mountain it opened up to an ice covered lake. With big fluffy snow flakes falling. It was cool but not cold as we had just finished a great workout by skiing in. We sat down and enjoyed Red delicious apples before heading back on the trail to ski out. The trail in was beautiful lined with tall Spruce and Douglas Fir and Blue Spruce all covered in white sparkly snow that glistened like diamonds. The trail goes up and down nothing too steep with long stretches of scenic beauty. ❤️

Monday, September 18, 2017

Great hike for beginners with an amazing pay off. Boom lake is stunning!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Very nice trail of your looking for something easy! The Lake view is very beautiful! My friend and I came across a Grizzly so that was definitely the scare lol but you should always be prepared!!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A bit boring hike as it goes through woods almost all the time.
But it's easy going and a good start for a hiking holiday in the mountains. The view onto the lake at the end of the hike, however, is stunning.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Amazing lake! Calm water, really cold but people jumped in quick. Totally worth visit, not a overly busy trail for being a holiday Monday.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Good, easy hike with great payoff.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

The lake is splendid !

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Perfect short hike ( took us 3 hours) with a beautiful view. Great easy hike to start the season off!

Monday, June 05, 2017

Deep snow and wet. Was fun walk.