Black Rock Mountain

Black Rock Mountain is a 7.1 mile out and back trail located near Bighorn No 8, Alberta, Canada that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

25 March 2017 --- We came up yesterday with our mountain bikes. I am so freaking tired, ended up leaving my bike just right above the tree line :-) then hiked it up. View is so beautiful and windy as usual up there. Don't forget to bring a windproof jacket and a soft or thin down jacket, of course, with a thin base layer. Yes, this is for hikers with some hours of hiking experience. There's always an exception when it comes to outdoor activities, either you're strong and fit or not so, do it slowly BUT start early. :-) Unless you already had setup a tent in a campground down there, you can spend the rest of the day until sunset, don't forget to bring your headlights. For the trail condition from yesterday and probably for the next 3 to 5 days, about from 5 to 30cm of snow most part from the trail head up to the tree line, as long as no more snow. For sure, 2L of water and a bottle of energy drink plus bars would do. But it is always nice to bring stove and tea bags up there and have a little picnic. I brought a piece of banana, 3L of water (no energy drink), a bag of salted crackers and a small can of liver spread.
As others have mentioned about before the trail head, 4x4 is definitely the vehicle you need else you're gonna take a hike to the trail head from the township road 270.
See some photos I uploaded.

Amazing hike, and the views are out of this world!

I don't know if I would rate this as EASY... definitely the most challenging hike I've done, and the most rewarding! My friend stopped about 3/4 up the mountain... keep going! The top will take your breath away.

One of the best hikes I've ever done. the trail head is a little hard to find. You definitely need a 4x4 to reach it. the trail head is across the river bed.
once you find this. it's about a 5 hour return. The views are to die for!

Once you get out of the trees, it's constant beauty.
To get to the lookout point, this is where the elevation increases quickly.

definitely worth the hike