Beehive Circuit Trail

Beehive Circuit Trail is a 13.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

13 km
912 m

Good inclines with a lot of rewards along the way.

Fairly challenging hike...there was about 4 inches of snow on the ground which made the trek even more difficult. View from the top is stunning.

What a beautiful view at the top! I wouldn’t rate this trail as moderate...it was pretty easy ! We went around 9 AM and there was a lot of people down by the lake and on the way to the Lake Agnes’ Tea House. The trails to Little Beehive and Big Beehive were less traficked and it was perfect ! Have a nice hike!

super uphill all the way up to the summit

Began the hike at 6:30 AM and I was the first one on the trails that morning. I got there early because I was nervous about tourists crowding the area, but I definitely could've started later in the morning because I didn't see many people showing up to the tea house until around 9 AM. As others have suggested, I went counterclockwise which takes you to the Lake Agnes tea house first before beginning the trek up further. My ears were actually popping on the way up to the tea house, so just know it is a bit of a climb just to get there. I stopped at the tea house at 7:30 AM and waited 30 minutes for it to open (8 AM) to sit and have tea by the lake, which was nice because it was chilly. If you wait a while for people to show up, it becomes a melting pot of nationalities and is very interesting hearing the different languages and meeting others from all over the world.

I continued on once the sun rose a bit more and found myself climbing up some pretty steep switch backs up the mountain. I skipped Little Beehive only because I needed to be back by a certain time and I'd read Big Beehive has better views. I was using poles and hiking boots for the steep parts, and came across a couple that had turned around because some of the trail had washed out and the guy had a fear of heights. I personally am not a huge fan of heights and was able to make it up. My butt was on fire by the time I reached big beehive because of the steep climb, but it was amazing being able to look down and see how far you'd come. There was quite a bit of smoke obscuring the view, which was a bit disappointing but it was expected.

The trail back down resembled the way up to the tea house and was mostly tree-covered. I was super thankful that I had gone down this way instead of having to go down the super steep way if I had gone clockwise. I was actually able to do a lot of trail running on the way down and saw very few people, even with it being around 11 AM. I went a bit further down the trail using the highline trail towards the plain of six glaciers so that I could walk the trail outlining Lake Louise. Altogether I believe it was about 10 miles, and my watch read 220 flights of stairs climbed.

Beautiful hike! It’s definitely busy up to Lake Agnes Tea House, but the route up to Big Beehive was significantly less crowded and well worth the views. We started at about 9:45am. Great spot to eat lunch if you don’t want to wait at the tea house. Suggest going the Skyline route back down as it’s also less crowded and shaded.

Great trip in the fall just before the tea hut closes.

Big beehive views were impressive. But you will work for them

It's more like heavily used, but it's worth it anyway. The Tea House at the lake is delightful and the food is good, although a bit pricey (because, of course, they have to get all the supplies up there and they're the only game in town).

The only reason I give it a 4 instead of a five is because of the crowds. But I've been twice in the last 3 years, so that hasn't kept me away. And, if you do this whole loop, you'll leave 99% of the crowd behind at the Tea House. I only saw about 6 people between the Tea House and where the loop connects back up with the Tea House trail.

Only reason I didn’t give this 5 stars is because of Little Beehive. It’s a waste of time and energy especially when Big Beehive gives you such spectacular views of Lake Louise.

Do this hike and save some energy for Plains of Six Glaciers right after.

Went up there yesterday with my husband and our two Shiba Inu! Started at Lake Louise and followed the trail past mirror lake, to little beehive then to lake Agnes, big beehive and down. Narrow switchbacks to get up to big beehive but didn’t need to use hiking poles just had good hiking shoes on. No snow present on the trails. Loved this hike! Make sure to go early to avoid the crowds.

A long steady climb. Views on way up are fantastic

Nicely marked trails and beautiful scenery. I hiked it June 12 and the trail from Lake Agnes to Big Beehive was all packed snow/ice on narrow switchbacks. Would highly recommend crampons, but saw people made it up with hiking boots and trek poles. Preferred the views from Little Beehive to Big Beehive.

Excellent trail, bit of ice and snow on the big hive. Fantastic views, was very busy to the Lake.

This was an awesome hike. We hiked up to little beehive, then had some tea at Lake Agnes. We continued around the lake and up to big beehive. This trail was quite snowy still and at points I’m not sure we were even on the actual trail. From big beehive (the coolest view ever) we went down the other side of it, which was a much clearer path! We continued on to plain of six glaciers from there, so it took us the whole day. It was absolutely worth it- gorgeous views and hike!

It is about 1 hour 20 min each way to the little beehive. We allowed about 4.5 hours or so because we spent an hour for lunch at the top and also hiked to Lake Agnes/the tea house on the way down (which added about 30 minutes). I think it’s listed as a moderate hike but I would say it wasn’t too bad. Steady incline but a good path! - clear and dry on June 7 - I would for sure recommend this hike to anyone. Most amazing views!!

May, 23th. The trail until Agnes Lake is dry and clear (just some patches of snow at the end but it's easy). The trail to little beehive is snow-covered but we reach it, it isn't difficult. We didn't try Big beehive due to the snow conditions. The view at the top (little beehive) is stunning ! (see photos).

Amazing views, pictures could never do it justice.

It's a great hike! You can easily add highline and plain of the 6 glaciers. But this exact descrption includes all the best in the area (except fairview...take a second day and do it!). We did The little and big beehive, Lake agnes, highline trail and came back via plain of six glaciers. Big day, filled with amazing views

We did just hiked from Lake Louise up to Lake Agnes and the Teahouse and then back down. There was about 2-4 inches of snow on the ground which made it challenging. Be prepared, and know that the views are definitely worth it. It's an incline essentially all the way to the top.

An early start at Lake Louise gets you an awesome sunrise photo set. The teahouse along Lake Agnes is a great way to recharge. Attack the big beehive first to make the rest of the hike even more enjoyable.

Has all the characteristics of a great hike! Long, has steep sections, amazing views and scenery that make it all worth it. And the tea house is a fantastic bonus!

Monday, September 18, 2017

stunning views of the lake and chateau. A bit crowded until you pass the teahouse and start the climb up to either peak. well worth it to do both little beehive and big beehive.
4.5 hours with stops at each peak and the teahouse.

Thursday, September 07, 2017

In connection with Little Beehive & plain of 6 glaciers.
Great day but very crowded even mid week in September

Monday, September 04, 2017

Great hike with pretty views. The trail is super busy but the views make it worth it!

Friday, September 01, 2017

the view is breath taking. go up the tea house. Have a cup of tea . Hike the beehive then drop down to the Lake Louise side .

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Awesome hike with the family today. Views are spectacular! Was quite busy up to the Agnes tea house and then the crowds were left behind. It took about 5 hours with a break on top of the big beehive. Highly recommend it!

Friday, August 11, 2017

Very crowded trail. Way too many people to fully enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Great moderate hike with lakes throughout the way and a stunning view of Lake Louise!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

We hiked to Big Bee Hive on July 3 and it was incredible. Lots of people up to the tea house but fewer on the second part. We took the back trail back down. Loved it so much.