Barrier Lake Trail

Barrier Lake Trail is a 7.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.7 km
233 m

My first ever hike. Amazing view from the top

Amazing view at the top, definitely gets steep towards the top though but it goes by fast! Took us 2.5 hours total with a stop at the top. Not marked that well tough. Lots of people, no snow yet

This was my first ever serious hike loved it amazing views at the top. Busy in the summer

So muddy and hard for walk when it covered by snow but the scenery is very beautiful

Very snow covered / muddy. Arbour workers had drove machinery along the path so it was clear enough to hike their tracks in just boots. Beautiful fall colours, open water and beautiful snow coverage on the trees. Would definitely recommend for an easy, scenic, short hike.

Beautiful hike. Started up the prairie view trail, came down jewel pass. Harder going up, easier coming down. Amazing views from the top. Worth the hike for sure.

Amazing hike, we went up the mountain (prairie view trail) instead of the actual barrier lake trail. Very much worth it if you’re looking for a good workout. We went down jewel “something,” and it was a great time. The view at the end of the hike was something else.

Easy, beautiful hike.

beautiful lake stunning colors very pretty scenery and the beach is fun for kids

Super easy hike. Lots of shade for the puppers on a hot day like today. Too many people for my liking though.

We missed the left turn for this trail and headed up the mountain. Steady incline and switch backs. Decided to keep going. It was worth it for the view at the top. Jewel pass is how we were able to loop back instead of turning back. 7.7 k turned into a full day 13 k loop. Haha. oops. Ended up taking this trail back, the easy part close to the water. beautiful.

Took the Prairie view trail to get to the top, took me about hour to get up there with a brisk pace, and with no rest. Easy enough to do for the average hiker. Only challenge is the last stretch, which has a higher incline.

There isn't much to see on this trail til you get near the top, all the trees help keep the trail much cooler on a hot day like I went on.

Pretty steep, but most of it is through forest trails so has shady spots on a hot day. Lots of switchbacks on the trails although there are some shortcuts but are steeper than using the switchbacks (good for on the way down). Trail is quite rocky with loose gravel. View at the top is totally worth the climb

Lake was nice ...

Wide, flat trails along power lines and old roads. Not much shade. Good accessibility but nothing to write home about.

Got there early and it was quite windy. Most of the trail you are exposed to the sun! It was a great easy hike. Had lunch at the lake and saw some wildlife.

Really windy today, but a good easy walk through the forest. Nice spaces to go sit close to the water and eat. Took about 2.5 hours to go the 8 km.

Great hike, I’m a beginner and it was just the right amount of incline and duration, up and down in 4 hrs with a relaxed pace and lots of photos at the top. Steep in places but overall was very moderate. We went to the fire lookout, great views.

For a beginner hiker this trail was a little challenging. The incline gets steep at the end and there are quite a few switch backs. But once you get to the top it’s all worth it. The view is amazing. I hope to do this one again before the year is over and I am more seasoned.

Did this hike a week ago. As a beginner hiker I would say this was more moderate than easy. Steep incline but so worth it

Completed in 2 hrs with a couple 10 year olds. It is an easy enjoyable hike. Not particularly interesting but nice and open and close to Hwy 1. Exposed for a majority of the time so the fact that we went on a slightly cloudy day was perfect.

We did the praiprie view trail till the summit then retuned, we did not do the full circle but we enjoyed it so much!

Good hike! Not super marked though! Beautiful day!!!

Beautiful lake. Did 2 hr round trip with spouse and 2 kids aged 3 (carried) and 7. Got 3 km in and 3 km back. From about 1-2.5 km it’s a bit boring, gravel path with no cover. After about 2.5 km the trail narrows to single file and changes from gravel to dirt in a forested area - this part was a bit more interesting. Steep at parts but our 7 year old had no problems with terrain.

not too easy but very nice, close to calgary which is a bonus.

This is a fairly easy hike and if you go on the weekends it's usually pretty busy. It's one of my go-to hikes when I feel like an active recovery day. The trail is well-marked and there is a pretty view at the top. Round trip you can do it in about two and a half hours.

Water was super cold which is to be expected this time of year. The lake is accessed right away near parking and those that want to hike the trail can do that nearby also.

This took us overall about 5 hours with picture stops and the girl I was with was slower and not cardio fit. She still enjoyed it and didn’t say it was hard, there was just hard spots. We took the harder loop trail but walked in and out. So did roughly like 17kms all up. Was worth it with the views for sure!

Beautiful views at the top!

First hike of the season! Definitely kicked my butt a little. Very rewarding view!