Baldy Pass Trail

Baldy Pass Trail is a 8.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.2 km
514 m

Great for a quick hike thats close to Calgary. A relatively easy and gradual climb, great for begginers. 3 Hours out and back with our 5 month old pup with a decent break at the half way mark.

I'd suggest you pass over this hike and consider something else. it was super easy and anti climactic.

Great hike! Our 6 yr old and 11 yr old made it to the pass as well.

A decent hike for beginners. Great view at the top and a nice break. Took roughly 3.5 hours to complete.

I only give this a 2 cause it’s a pretty boring and not long or exciting hike . Saying that it’s a great hike for starters who are just starting to hike. The hike is very easy.

Gorgeous hike. Easy to follow trail. Great reward at the top!

It’s my first hike in Alberta, I just moved here, and I found it enjoyable. I went on Friday evening and I was the only one on the path.

This may be obvious to some but when I parked the car at the lot along hwy 40 I saw a little trail opening so I hiked there for about 30 minutes, followed some blue flags but eventually I was lost in a forest. This was NOT the hiking path, in case someone makes the same mistake...you have to cross the hwy and there’s a sign that marks the start of the trail.

I made it to the pass, there was a nice view. It wasn’t too hard (I am someone who hasn’t really hiked this long but I am active). It was a great workout and definitely doable for beginners. It took me 1h30 min to get to the pass.

At the pass there was a trail to the left that started descending after a while, I wasn’t sure where that led but I wasted a bit of time there.

I am assuming this hike ends at that pass. There was an option to continue up following orange flags and you start scrambling. I tried that for a bit but then I couldn’t find any flags and it got a bit steep, so considering it was my first time doing it and I was alone I stopped there. Curious to try going higher maybe w someone who’s done it before.

I think coming back down took 1-1:15 hours.

We hiked this trail yesterday. As I rate myself a decent hiker and in “ok” shape, this trail was not too challenging at all. Some steep slopes but the grade is relatively gradual.

My girlfriend came with me. She is very new to hiking and she found the hike challenging at the 3.5 km mark until we reached the lookout to the pass. The total way up is Approximately 4.3 Km. She needed breaks but was able to complete the task. Needless to say I was proud of her

The hike is very manageable and offers great views. It offers rocks/scramble, tree cover, slopes, and great vies from way up high. A very good trail to challenge new hikers and the view is worth the effort

It began to rain and hail on the way down which made the slopes very slick and you had to watch your footing.

I definitely want to do this again but maybe try and summit some of the peaks at the top.

Great way to kill 3 hrs. Have lunch at the top and introduce new hikers to the backcountry.

It is not rewarding enough. Most of the trail is only big rocks. Good workout though

Nice views and steady incline. Took us about 2 hours to complete.

Great hike! It was raining pretty steady the whole time so we had to be cautious on the way down with the slippery rocks but no slips.

A nice hike with lots of rocks on the bottom half and lots of roots on the top half. Some okay views along the way and a great view at the top of the pass. We'll probably come back to head up some of the peaks nearby - you can definitely do more than just the pass if you're up for it.

Decent shorter hike! Hour and a half up, hour down. Lots of tree roots to keep it interesting. Second half steeper but definitely doable. A lot of scree and rocks so watch the ankles! Good workout, we didn’t have time to explore further but the pass is nice for lunch, view is mainly of trees though!

My friend and I hiked this trail and enjoyed the views! Overall was not too difficult. Windy up top and a tad chilly, we brought layers.
We also ate lunch up on the ridge line. We did hike out towards Mount Baldy and got to the third highest peak before turning around.
We didn't see any snow :) we went June 5th. It was not too busy either.

Just a short Monday hike to show some friends visiting the area. Trail is now fully clear of snow (compared to 2 weeks ago - Early May 2018), so now its an easy 90 minute hike to the pass. Pretty windy along the ridge, so we just went a short way towards Mt Baldy.

Great hike, the beginning of the trail is super easy with the incline getting steeper for the second half of the route. For sure a beginners hike but great for anyone who enjoys a steady work out with a rewarding view :)

Decent hike but the payoff wasn't really great. Was quite busy and windy at the top but ok overall. Bring sunscreen, quite a bit of sun exposed stretches. My little dog enjoyed it!

Great first hike of the year, still too snowy to make it to the top of the mountain but we had a great time!

Went on Saturday May 5, still lots of snow in the last km to the top, bring poles and waterproof shoes. First 3km were nice condition though. Took us 1.5 hrs to go up with 2 kids and a dog, but also took us 1.5hrs to get down because of all the snow, very slippery.

Went today and thoroughly enjoyed this hike though poles and micro-spikes are still needed. Some loose rock/avalanche areas and icy steep parts. It took us about 2 hours up and about that back, but we were sliding quite a bit. Didn’t think we needed our micros-spikes so we only brought poles. Nice to have lunch at the top!!

Trail had some gorgeous views but was very narrow so passing people was a bit of a pain as the snow to the sides of the trail was VERY deep. Once we arrived at the end of the trail the wind picked up and snow rolled in so we did not stay long.

Trail is well-worn but snow and ice covered for the majority. Crampons and/or hiking poles are ideal. Gradual incline throughout. Beautiful views of kananaskis valley and Nakiska ski hill, quite windy at the top.

Had a small amount of snow that had previously been packed down by others. This meant we didn't need snowshoes and just hiked up. Great view at the top, nice trail up the valley.

Great way to spend your morning! Completed in 2 hours, would love to go back and summit Midnight Peak

Really enjoyed this hike! Steady incline. Great views! Through forest for about an hour to the pass, then it opens up. At the pass, go left rather than right. Minimal scrambling up to a couple of peaks.

Friday, August 11, 2017

We parked and didn't know that the trail head is across the street as we hiked into the forest. It wasn't a clearly defined trail and lots of trees down went to the end of trail and turned back. A couple returning from hiking told us were the trail head is across the street. So we hiked some of it and turned around. The trail ground is quite rocky with sections of dirt.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Busy trails and a bit of an incline. But we really enjoyed it

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Busy trails and a bit of an incline. But we really enjoyed it

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The trail marked in red- the actual baldy pass trail- was pleasant and an easy ascent. Too easy in fact- we were tempted to follow the blue dotted line up to midnight mountain. The climb up to the peak was very difficult with lots of rock scrambling. We should've turned around once we reached the summit to do an out and back. Instead we made the poor choice of trying to follow the blue dotted line and do a loop. A very bad choice. We scrambled down wooded mountain side for hours, no trail in sight. We made it back to the trailhead without injury but lots of frustration.

Friday, July 14, 2017

I love it! I hike a lot, was a little sceptical of the mixed reviews, but it was an awesome quick (4 hours) with lunch and photos etc hike! Route is easy to find, and the view at the summit its amazing ! Great for beginners and people just looking to do something for the day!