Bald Hills Trail Loop

Bald Hills Trail Loop is a 13.2 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jasper Park Lodge, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is best used from May until October.

13.2 km
701 m

Nice hike! The wide gravel path up was nice, great view looking back. You have the option to cut up and take the trail in the trees, would definitely make it a bit harder(I would definitely take the fire road on the way up). We took the trail route on the way down for a change of scenery. Took my partner and I about an hour and a bit up. Pretty fast coming down. If your going at a steady pace wouldn’t take longer than 2.5 hrs, with a fair break at the top.

Best hike in Jasper. Nice views all along the way to the top. Be sure to go to the far back of the trail and climb to that top. Far best view of all!

Tackled this hike in the afternoon after doing a boat trip to Spirit Island. There’s a parking lot close to the trailhead (it’s on the left, past the big lot for the boat tours). The trail starts off in a forested area with a steady incline - it’s not super interesting until you get high enough for some views. As you climb higher, look behind you every once in a while.

The views get better as you get further up the trail. It was pretty busy, but everyone was polite and it didn’t feel as crowded as the hikes around Banff. The last portion was very steep and a bit slick/muddy, but we opted to go straight up. There was a mellower trail off to the left.

The views from the top are phenomenal - I’d recommend packing a lunch to eat up there.

The best part was that we saw a grizzly bear and three cubs off the trail! While it was very exciting, people traveling in smaller groups should exercise caution in this area.

Excellent hike! Well worth the work out

Excellent hike with great views, there are a few different peaks that you can climb to the top but I only was able to complete one of them before heading back. Can't wait to do it again and get on top of the other few. I took the shortcut that was harder, but still not that bad overall even for my first hike. I went early in the morning so it was great to basically have the entire place to myself!

Excellent hike with lots of views, we even lucked out without to much smoke this past Thursday.

Excelent hike...make sure you do the final ascent if you can, it made the hike for me.

Spectacular vistas for relatively little effort. Direct route = harder. Fire road = more gradual.

Great hike, would classify as moderate difficulty. You follow an old fire access road for the first 40 mins which is quite easy, the "shortcut" trail to the left is fabulous with some steep spots but tons of roots which make great natural steps and not too many rocks, the trail is also wide and well trafficked. Once you are up in the Alpine Meadow it is very easy to go off the highlighted route, but you won't get lost. A number of paths allow you to cut down the intended route which adds flexibility to your day. Most rewarding section is the western-most ridgewalk! Be advised you are not permitted to bring even small dogs as the alpine meadow is a caribou breeding ground, who are very easily disturbed. Even your fiery chihuahua may be perceived as a predator.

A lot of hard sweat and bugs on the way up and down but the bit at the top was well worth it. Outstanding views and not too busy. Early start recommended.

Amazing hike! The beginning is not that interesting, just a casual walk in the woods, but after the forest, the path through the hills offers fantastic views on the Maligne Lake and other mountains :) definitely recommend, the hills has some good ambiance!
Tip: there is an unmarked trail but clear and simple at the south, where the views are even better

We followed the route counterclockwise which minimised the traffic. Fire trail is a bit of a drag but alpine is superb. We went beyond the all trails route to a second “summit” on an unmarked but clear trail. Totally worth the extra 2Km or so.

Took the short but more steep route. After reaching the first rest area, continue to the summit for more amazing views. You will see Maligne Lake from the top of Bald Hills and the beautiful Opal Hills. Worth going! (Be prepared for your windbreaker because it can get pretty windy up there).

Great hike in the Maligne Lake area of Jasper. Steep at times but overall a moderate hike. Difficult rating may be due to technical challenges in this hike to reach the summit -trail becomes a bit more tricky as you climb the peak. Moderately traveled trail - not teeming with tourists. Good opportunity for running into wildlife so better to travel in groups of 3+.

Beautiful hike, got a sunny day and cheeky rodents.

Trail was well maintained, and ascends at a fairly even rate into the alpine. Apparently there used to be a ranger station at the top, so most of the trail is actually an old access road that is wide with gravel. Views of the top of Maligne lake are impressive, as well as the valley back toward Medicine lake. We took a counter-clockwise direction at all junctions which I'd recommend to others. At the first branch (after about 3km), the trail departs from the old road and ascends quickly into the alpine. While many people also came down this way, I found it easier to navigate the steepness and roots going up. In the upper parts there was still some snow on the north facing aspects, but certainly nothing that affected the hike. We enjoyed lunch near the top overlooking the lakes. Come prepared for weather as we encountered rain, snow and hot sun when we went on Canada Day. Our total day ended up being about 12-14km, and with the inclines on the way up I'd rank this as medium-difficult

Went in July 2016. Never forget it. Amazing trail. Views are spectacular. Interesting alpine flora once you get past the tree line. Highly suggest continuing to the summit (I noticed most people didn't). Difficult but well worth it. I was new to hiking and out of shape when I did this hike. If I can do it, you can do it!!

Summit is steep, most of the snow is gone, but poles would be helpful!

This hike was quite spectacular. You ascend though the trees for quite a while. When you get past the tree line you hit the first rest area with a pretty nice view of Maligne Lake. Highly recommend continuing up to the summit though. If you take the trail to the left it gets a tad steep but is well worth it. Some of the trail is poorly marked near the top and you get to make your own trail. There are actually a few places to summit in this area. The farthest one seems to be where the faint trail takes you. There is some snow in patches but very doable with hiking shoes/boots. The views from the summit are breathtaking. Very cool.

Moderate trail with amazing views. not much snow left to melt now.. We made it all the way to the summit and looped back down. Well worth it!!!

Amazing hike and we go nearly to the top but there was just too much waist deep snow for "normal" hiking gear. But the views are just stunning on a clear day. The hike itself is not too difficult.

Mid May and there still was a lot of snow in the trail. It's doable, I would recommend to have waterproof pants. We couldn't reach the summit because of the snow, but the views were amazing.

Loved this. my brother pushed us to get up in only 90 minutes and down in 35. That's probably just about the fastest you can expect to do it. More likely will take 2-6 hours at a leisurely pace. The view was amazing and absolutely worth the long hike. Very step trail at the end.

Fantastic payoff at the top, glad we went up the first steep part, the fire road does add more distance. Probably the highlight hike of our trip. Wore us out pretty good though we weren't in the best shape. Not to be missed!

Fantastic hike one of the best views from all the hikes I have done and have done a lot in the area. I definitely wouldn't class it as as hard hike though, part of one loop is on a fire track and the other isn't very steep or hard also no scree or scrambling at all. There is 2 false summits MAKE SURE you push on to the summit the view is worth it and the hike from both false summits to the true summit is very easy.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Le brouillard et la pluie nous ont privé de la vue au sommet....

Saturday, September 02, 2017

A bit of everything! A mix of steady climb and Tough uphills, stunning panoramic views (if it weren't for the smoke, this would have been my favorite hike ever), and an interesting loop trail with views of Maligne lake on the descent. Some expert navigation on the way down but overall, can be tackled by people of all fitness levels.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

amazing vievs

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Pretty easy hike, no one there in late June and the views were really amazing! Really worth it.