Aylmer Lookout

Aylmer Lookout is a 23.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Anthracite, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

23.2 km
1,094 m

This was a great, yet hard hike. The inclines are very steep in some points (at the very end of the climb I actually had to use both hands and feet to get to the top). The views are so worth it though!

Great day hike! Amazing views at the top at Aylmer Lookout! 6 hr round trip, trail was in good condition (October 27th).

The first half of the trail was scenic with glimpses of the lake through the trees. However I would recommend doing this part by mountain bike. The hiking got a bit tedious but would be enjoyable on a bike. After the 2nd wood bridge the elevation climb began. Take it at a steady pace and you'll be fine. The view from the lookout point was amazing, but a little windy.
The trail was very well marked and maintained. There was very little mud from the previous days rain. I saw 2 mosquitoes and the bugs weren't much of a bother. I only had to navigate over or around a few logs that fell on the trail.

Did this first weekend of June. Hiked to LM9 and set up camp then backtracked and went up to the lookout. Steady uphill climb but manageable. Great views from the top of the lake. Windy. We camped overnight at LM9. The lake was beautiful and tranquil in the morning. Hiked out the next day.

I went about 11 kilometers and came back. The scenery was beautiful enough to get there, and I was afraid of a bear. Even though I had a Bear spray. You can go down to the river and take a picture. It was cloudy then clear again. The trail itself is easy.

We did it today..first 5-6 km was easy but next 5-6 to lookout was really hard for me..its around 600-700m elevation from the bottom to the lookout..it took us almost 8h with 45min-1h brake on lookut..we saw one bear family..they were maybe 10 meter from us but we were loud and we had bear spray nothing happend..they just left..this hike worth that view when you reach the top..

Loved this hike!! It’s long, beautiful and very rewarding. The last 5k are pretty steep and testing but well worth it when you get to the lookout.
As a casual hiker, my only advice would be not to give up on that last leg!

Great views of Minnewanka for majority of the hike - it's at lot of kms but not technically hard. We did it in about 7 hours with a long break.. trail was in good condition, had to "move" the big horn sheep off the trail with loud noises.. no berrys or signs of bears yet....

No snow no mud. The lookout was beautiful. It was relatively an easy.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Great views alongside the lake and from the lookout. The path is well marked, with few opportunities to get lost. Be careful though, this is grizzly bear country.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Amazing day trip

Saturday, June 24, 2017

This was one of my favorite trail, the lookout is absolutely stunning but be aware that there are tics in the lookout, my friend and I catched some because we layed down to look at the view.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Great hike nice and easy except the last few km, they are just steep not technical. Wonderful view 6 hours round trip with a lunch! I would highly recommend.

Friday, November 15, 2013

Mostly flat except for the last km. Not hard if u don't mind long hikes. U get a nice view of the lake since u have to walk along it from most of the time. The view at the end is what makes this hike worth. Nice to do once at least. Be aware that there is lots of grizzlies all summer long.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Great hike. Way too long for what you get at the lookout. If you have a chance to bike the first part do so. This will save lots of time and will keep everyone happy. All and all a good hike.

Friday, July 01, 2011

It is a great trail, long but beautiful.
Stay on the well maintained trail and there are many signs to guide you to lookout.

Friday, September 22, 2017