Allstones Lake Trail

Allstones Lake Trail is a 8.4 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clearwater County, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

8.4 km
663 m

Hadn’t been hiking or physically worked out in years. Then about 4 years ago my sister told me she was going on this hike. I figured it was the perfect way to test myself, so I went with her. I don’t know how they come up with their difficulty ratings, but this hike was far from hard. A couple steep shale inclines is the hardest it gets. Got back tired but far from sore. Left my keys up there accidentally when we went swimming, so the next day we did it again to retrieve them. For an out of shape desk jockey like myself (at the time), I was pleasantly surprised at how well my body handled it twice in two days. I was immediately looking for a harder one. Great hike for rookies, people that may be a bit out of shape or for people looking for a casual hike with a bit of altitude. But AllTrails rates this hike as hard. I’m hoping the first hard one I pick from this app is actually hard and doesn’t disappoint.

Love Allstones. It’s a tough hike up and down (knees). Just when you think the trail should level out, it keeps climbing. When you start descending to the lake, the water looks so welcoming, and it is.... if you like polar dips. Only the bravest go all the way in and under.

Tough long uphill climb that should be approached carefully as you get to some of the skree slopes. the ridge offers some stunning views but mind your footing. The lake is pristine clear. Its doable as a day hike but take the time and camp up there and enjoy seeing how calm it is in the morning. I will return.

It's more than a little steep for about 80% off the hike, nothing special to see at the actual lake because it's surrounded by trees, I guess I just prefer a mountain view after a long hike.

It's a challenging trail for a beginner. Definitely pack light and bring some snacks but nothing heavy cause constant incline will make you regret any extra pounds you got.
This hike was a good wake up call for my lack of shape/lack of exercise state. After working out for a year, my gf and I repeated this trail and it was amazing to feel the difference.
I would definitely avoid this trail during rain/wet conditions as it's slippery even without any moisture.
Parking is great at the base by HWY 11 but parking lot gets full on busy days.

This was my first mountain hike and boy was it challenging! It is def. not for beginners by any means and it proved quite the challenge as it was entirely uphill until it plateaued. Lots of different terrain, beautiful views that made the uphill battle worth it. I wouldn’t say it’s undoable if you’re new, just ensure you know what you’re getting into and come prepared. The lake is beautiful and a nice reward at the top, it would have been nice to camp there for a night or two then head back down. I’m unsure I’d do this if it was raining as the shale was pretty slippery already, but to each their own as I am not that experienced yet. It took us 3.5-4 hours to do the entire thing with half an hour relaxing time at the lake.

Rough terrain over rocks and roots and a shale ridge that can be treacherous at the top, but the lake at the top is worth the walk

The trail has a good balance of everything. It’s pretty steep all the way up but not so steep as to make it unenjoyable. You start off in trees and make it up to a rocky ridge. Then hike back down into a valley with trees where the lake is. We went in mid May and the lake was still pretty much frozen solid so we couldn’t fish. Great overall day hike me and my buddies made it up and down in exactly 3 hours with 5 pound day packs.

First backcountry backpack trip, and let me tell you. There’s an absolutely stunning lake and view from the top. BUT if you aren’t an experience backpacker, this isn’t the first place you should be going. With overpacked bags, took my group and I about 3.5-4 hours to get to the lake and about 2 hour decent. There were points where anxiety would set in just thinking about having to go back down. Sweet place but don’t recommend unless you have SOME experience in hiking and packing for such trips. I will be doing it again this summer (2018) but will pack my sack completely different! Hope this helps someone!!!!

P.S.: no canned food and no “what if” items.

I love this hike in the summer so I decided to try it in the winter and it was wonderful! It was challenging in spots but it was fine! Due to all the snow I took a wrong turn and couldn’t find the lakes. However, I did manage to scale my way up to the summit which was amazing! And the snow made it a lot of FUN for me and my pup to slide back on down!

I’ve done this hike a few times now. He most recent was Jan,3,2018 there wasn’t to much snow at all! Crampons would be a good thing to have and some polls. It’s a hard trail but definitely a god day hike it take about 4 hours in and out!

Went here may long weekend with friends... this was the second time I’ve done this trail. I did it in July a few years back and it snowed on us. This time in may the lake was still frozen. Amazing hike and great views with camping areas. The trail is steep in areas but well worth the challenge.

Nice trail all the way to the lake. Took just over an hour at a good pace. Pretty tough trek up to the peak with loose shale all the way up. Not recommended for beginners. Just under an hour to highway, would do again!

longer than expected, but good! good views, nice treed spots, easily marked, lakes a good stop to eat, camp and fish!

Very steep. Not recommended for those who are unfit. We made it up in 2 hours and 15 minutes and down in 2 hours. Challenging with many different types if terrain to keep things interesting.

I loved doing this trail!!! I'm pretty much inexperienced with long hikes like this but it's definitely doable. Had to stop and take a breather a few times, but only took me 2 hours to get to the lake. About 1 hour to get back down.

A reasonably tough slog but a great adventure! Steady elevation gain. Nice lake at the top. A bit smokey so the views today were obscured. Would plan to camp at the lake next time instead of doing out and back in a day.

Very rewarding hike. I went last week. The hike is very beautiful. Recommended for sure. Lots of fish in the lake up in the mountain and very recommend bring a fishing rod.

Our group was made of varying fitness and we managed to make it to the lake in two hours and twenty minutes. The descent took an hour 45. I would recommend trekking poles because the trail is quite steep both ways and with the loose shale it would be easy to lose your footing and yard sale down the trail.

Tons of fun, a good hike if you are looking a challenge.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Absolutely beautiful!!!! It's quite the trek up but totally worth it!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Not kidding when they say it's straight up.. awesome views of Abraham at parts on the way up, and the lake is gorgeous. We also did the summit, which was loose rock with no well-defined trail, but amazing views at the top. Definitely worth a go after touring the lake. I am not an experienced hiker by any means, and got up in 2hr 15 minutes. Definitely worth the effort!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Approx 2hrs up at a reasonable pace, steep and loose traction at times, but well worth the ascent! Allstones lake is beautiful & very serene. Excellent spot for a picnic break! Approx 1hr descent.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

This was a very tough hike up, it was our first hike and we are not in shape. The first part is straight up , it never seems to end. The lake is worth it , beautiful views and lots of fish jumping. The camping is great , lots of spots , lots of fire pits and home made benches.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

We hiked this trail this weekend. I was looking forward to it because it seems to have good reviews, but the first 2/3 is quite a grind uphill, and I've had nicer views as a reward. For maybe the 20 minutes (total) of the hike we were able to see glimpses of Abraham Lake, but I don't doubt that other hikes in the area have better views. Allstones Lake was nice but nothing spectacular. We likely wouldn't do this trail again but it wasn't awful.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

very steep hike pretty tough but so worth it to get up to the top. i suggest getting there around 8am or so. was nice hiking up without the blazing heat! at that time not very many people going up. we came down and got to the bottom at about 3pm lots of people coming up the mountain at like 1pm.
if you are going to do the summit bring some gloves. you will be going up small gravel and shale. very slippery and nice to have the gloves to grab onto big rocks etc.....

Monday, July 10, 2017

Quite a grind up. The first few hours feel like you are straight
Uphill. Once you get about 60% up, the terrain changes to meadow type, with lots of really nice colours and scenery. It took us about 3.5 hours to get up and 2 to get back. Nice hike, but have it a 3 star as it's really hard walking to get up to a nice spot, but other hikes like kinglet I find give a nicer reward. Happy hiking !

Thursday, July 06, 2017

We just did this trail last weekend. For beginners to backpack in, it definitely challenged us. The views were amazing, and getting to camp next to the lake was a fantastic experience. It is a very well used trail, with lots of traffic and a surprising number of people backpacking in, so if you're looking to be alone in the wilderness, that will probably not happen. Overall a great experience.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Great Hike and camp adventure. Very steep grades on the way in but offset by awesome views as you reach the top. Lake is very nice but if you are camping as we did, get there early. There is lots of people showing up through out the day and the best spots are few.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Easy to follow trail makes for an easy hike, but only navigationally speaking. Relentlessly steep climbs but it truly pays off in the end. Allstones Lake itself is a bit of a mess with the litter from sloppy campers, I would skip the lake and go straight up to the Ridge. Excellent views. Great day hike.