Allstones Lake Trail

Allstones Lake Trail is a 8.4 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clearwater County, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

8.4 km
663 m

The trail has a good balance of everything. It’s pretty steep all the way up but not so steep as to make it unenjoyable. You start off in trees and make it up to a rocky ridge. Then hike back down into a valley with trees where the lake is. We went in mid May and the lake was still pretty much frozen solid so we couldn’t fish. Great overall day hike me and my buddies made it up and down in exactly 3 hours with 5 pound day packs.

First backcountry backpack trip, and let me tell you. There’s an absolutely stunning lake and view from the top. BUT if you aren’t an experience backpacker, this isn’t the first place you should be going. With overpacked bags, took my group and I about 3.5-4 hours to get to the lake and about 2 hour decent. There were points where anxiety would set in just thinking about having to go back down. Sweet place but don’t recommend unless you have SOME experience in hiking and packing for such trips. I will be doing it again this summer (2018) but will pack my sack completely different! Hope this helps someone!!!!

P.S.: no canned food and no “what if” items.

I love this hike in the summer so I decided to try it in the winter and it was wonderful! It was challenging in spots but it was fine! Due to all the snow I took a wrong turn and couldn’t find the lakes. However, I did manage to scale my way up to the summit which was amazing! And the snow made it a lot of FUN for me and my pup to slide back on down!

I’ve done this hike a few times now. He most recent was Jan,3,2018 there wasn’t to much snow at all! Crampons would be a good thing to have and some polls. It’s a hard trail but definitely a god day hike it take about 4 hours in and out!

Went here may long weekend with friends... this was the second time I’ve done this trail. I did it in July a few years back and it snowed on us. This time in may the lake was still frozen. Amazing hike and great views with camping areas. The trail is steep in areas but well worth the challenge.

Nice trail all the way to the lake. Took just over an hour at a good pace. Pretty tough trek up to the peak with loose shale all the way up. Not recommended for beginners. Just under an hour to highway, would do again!

longer than expected, but good! good views, nice treed spots, easily marked, lakes a good stop to eat, camp and fish!

Very steep. Not recommended for those who are unfit. We made it up in 2 hours and 15 minutes and down in 2 hours. Challenging with many different types if terrain to keep things interesting.

I loved doing this trail!!! I'm pretty much inexperienced with long hikes like this but it's definitely doable. Had to stop and take a breather a few times, but only took me 2 hours to get to the lake. About 1 hour to get back down.

A reasonably tough slog but a great adventure! Steady elevation gain. Nice lake at the top. A bit smokey so the views today were obscured. Would plan to camp at the lake next time instead of doing out and back in a day.

Very rewarding hike. I went last week. The hike is very beautiful. Recommended for sure. Lots of fish in the lake up in the mountain and very recommend bring a fishing rod.

Our group was made of varying fitness and we managed to make it to the lake in two hours and twenty minutes. The descent took an hour 45. I would recommend trekking poles because the trail is quite steep both ways and with the loose shale it would be easy to lose your footing and yard sale down the trail.

Tons of fun, a good hike if you are looking a challenge.

Absolutely beautiful!!!! It's quite the trek up but totally worth it!

Not kidding when they say it's straight up.. awesome views of Abraham at parts on the way up, and the lake is gorgeous. We also did the summit, which was loose rock with no well-defined trail, but amazing views at the top. Definitely worth a go after touring the lake. I am not an experienced hiker by any means, and got up in 2hr 15 minutes. Definitely worth the effort!

Approx 2hrs up at a reasonable pace, steep and loose traction at times, but well worth the ascent! Allstones lake is beautiful & very serene. Excellent spot for a picnic break! Approx 1hr descent.

This was a very tough hike up, it was our first hike and we are not in shape. The first part is straight up , it never seems to end. The lake is worth it , beautiful views and lots of fish jumping. The camping is great , lots of spots , lots of fire pits and home made benches.

We hiked this trail this weekend. I was looking forward to it because it seems to have good reviews, but the first 2/3 is quite a grind uphill, and I've had nicer views as a reward. For maybe the 20 minutes (total) of the hike we were able to see glimpses of Abraham Lake, but I don't doubt that other hikes in the area have better views. Allstones Lake was nice but nothing spectacular. We likely wouldn't do this trail again but it wasn't awful.

very steep hike pretty tough but so worth it to get up to the top. i suggest getting there around 8am or so. was nice hiking up without the blazing heat! at that time not very many people going up. we came down and got to the bottom at about 3pm lots of people coming up the mountain at like 1pm.
if you are going to do the summit bring some gloves. you will be going up small gravel and shale. very slippery and nice to have the gloves to grab onto big rocks etc.....

Quite a grind up. The first few hours feel like you are straight
Uphill. Once you get about 60% up, the terrain changes to meadow type, with lots of really nice colours and scenery. It took us about 3.5 hours to get up and 2 to get back. Nice hike, but have it a 3 star as it's really hard walking to get up to a nice spot, but other hikes like kinglet I find give a nicer reward. Happy hiking !

We just did this trail last weekend. For beginners to backpack in, it definitely challenged us. The views were amazing, and getting to camp next to the lake was a fantastic experience. It is a very well used trail, with lots of traffic and a surprising number of people backpacking in, so if you're looking to be alone in the wilderness, that will probably not happen. Overall a great experience.

Great Hike and camp adventure. Very steep grades on the way in but offset by awesome views as you reach the top. Lake is very nice but if you are camping as we did, get there early. There is lots of people showing up through out the day and the best spots are few.

Easy to follow trail makes for an easy hike, but only navigationally speaking. Relentlessly steep climbs but it truly pays off in the end. Allstones Lake itself is a bit of a mess with the litter from sloppy campers, I would skip the lake and go straight up to the Ridge. Excellent views. Great day hike.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Very tough, but very fun!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Great hike. Tough up but did it in 1:20. We were able to walk around the whole lake which took about an hour including picture and snack break. Down in an hour. Would love to go back and camp overnight.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Very steep for the first 90%.

Its a nice little late at the top. Ready for tenting and fishing.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

This is a beautiful but steep trail. Don't hike this trail if you are scared of a challenge! My friends and I decided to spend May long up at the lake and camp; when we arrived at the lake it was frozen and still had a fair amount of snow all around the lake. We decided to truck through the snow to the far end of the lake where we found the campsite. I had done this trail years before also and it snowed on us in the middle of July.... life in the mountains! Regardless of all the snow both times it was a beautiful hike and a peaceful place to camp.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

love this hike. step and constant but beautiful

Monday, May 08, 2017

This is our favourite hike and the hike that got me really into hiking! The trail head is easy to find. There are beautiful views all the way to the top! Allstones Lake at the top is the perfect spot to stop for a picnic and a cool down for the dogs. There are definitely some challenging spots were the incline is quite steep and there isn't a lot of shade but there is some. If going in the summer I highly recommend getting a start just to avoid the heat.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Incredible Hike, but definitely more strenuous than we ever could have imagined! It is 6 km up and 6 km down....and when we say up we mean straight up!! We went last week and there was still quite a bit of snow present. We definitely wouldn't have known which way to go if it hadn't been for a group ahead of us that made tracks in the snow. Definitely require good footwear. Incredible views!