Learn more

Pedra da Gávea is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,362 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pedra da Gávea is the world's largest monolithic block by the sea. There are two ways to get there, one of them passes through the dreaded Carrasqueira a 30 meter wall where first-degree climbing is necessary (that is, there are visible cracks throughout). The other route is called "Pico dos 4" where you can find the gazebo of the"Garganta do Céu" on the way to Pedra da Gávea. The Garganta do Céu is about halfway to the peak of the Gávea Rock, just after the most difficult part of the trail starts. An extremely steep stretch where you need to climb the rock and they have some steel cables in some parts to support the climb or you will need to bring your own ropes. It is recommended to make this route with a guide because they can bring all the security equipment necessary for this trail.

Incredibly breathtaking. In some sections, you'll need to use rope to advance. Also, it's dangerous at the top. Try to do this hike when it's not windy.

Incredibly beautiful view. I highly recommend it, but you need good physical preparation and great care in the carrasqueira. Vista incrivelmente linda. Super recomendo, mas precisa de um bom preparo físico e muito cuidado na carrasqueira.

rock climbing

This is an intense and challenging hike that makes you use all of your body strength. I did it with a guide and used rope and harness for the carrasrqueira part. I saw a few men climb up without ropes. We did a loop starting from another side that is shorter and steeper. I went after consecutive rainy days in Rio, so there was a lot of mud, slippery rocks, and a lot of water in the stream, this made it a bit more difficult since it was hard to maintain good traction on the rocks. My guide also took us to the Garganta do Ceu viewpoint, but again thick fog blocked the view. I would do it again when I come back to Rio. I did not have any view at the top or during the hike because it was really cloudy, a lot of fog, so I did not get my cool summit pictures, but I enjoyed the physical challenge.

I hired a local guide and he obviously knew the trail through and through. I happened to do the hike on a day when it was 95 degrees and a heat index of 106, which, is pretty rough. However, the rain forest before the summit is quite beautiful. It is full of jack fruit trees, monkeys and toucans (heard but not seen) and a lovely assortment of butterflies. Definitely bring lots of cold water and Gatorade type drinks and snacks. It is physically taxing and can get pretty technical with lots of scrambling. The dreaded carresquiera is right before the summit. It is about 30 meters high. For extra safety, I was roped up. Admittedly, it is scary, especially if you look down. After that, there is still more ascent and some scrambling until you finally reach the summit, which has absolutely stunning views of Rio. I repelled down, which was much easier than ascending. A wonderful experience which provides great memories and photos.

This is a great hike and is definetelly a hard hike. The rain and mud added another level of difficulty. I recorded about 6.4 miles round trip.

Sat Jun 29 2019

Best hike I’ve ever been on. Did the hike with a guide and we went the other unique trail up. This trail wasn’t as marked, but it was a fun experience all the way up, including when we had to actually climb up with a harness. The view at the top was unbelievable in the end. If I lived in Rio, I’d hike this all the time!

Sat May 25 2019

I love this trail, and hike it every time I'm in Rio. It traverses so many different types of scenery, and it incredible rewardong after the difficult scramble/climb near the top. If you don't speak portuguese or don't know Rio very well, I reccomend a guide. There have been rumors of thieves on the trail. That being said, I'e only had wonderful experiences.

Wed May 01 2019

Awesome hike! We went with a group and had tools for some parts of the trail (specially carrasqueira, I’m happy we had those but some people just go without anything, up to you!) it’s def worth it! Amazing views. O Rio de Janeiro continua lindo ♥️

Wed Apr 10 2019

amazing! best with a tour guide.

Amazing