Numbat Track [CLOSED] is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gidgegannup, Western Australia, Australia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,873 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Please note that this trail is currently closed due to COVID 19. The Numbat Track is the longest trail in the Paruna Sanctuary winding through the Wandoo woodland areas up and down the spectacular valleys, across the Paruna Gorge and frequently allowing some fantastic views over the Avon valley national park.

Still closed

recorded Numbat Track

closed

Trail is very well maintained. Lots of great lookout points with seats and tables for a good pit stop. Which is always welcomed with the huge number of steps across the trail. Thanks to Richard on the previous review for recommending fly repellent. It was very much needed. We did it in 3hours 15mins, but we were keeping a good pace (which is extra challenging when ascending some of the steps). Lots of great views to keep things interesting! Also spotted some kangaroos, an echidna and even a bunch of ducklings taking on a small stream at one of the lookout points.

This is a great trail through some of the most stunning WA bush you will see this close to Perth. Paruna’s provision of BBQ tables and benches strategically placed around the Numbat trail was very much appreciated. The trail is accurately described in the Numbat Track notes, which I would recommend people to download, as medium to hard. I did it on a day with a temp of around 20 deg forecast. I think the going would have been a lot harder if it had been much above 25. Oh yes, don’t forget the fly spray! The flys were bad on the day.

A great walk although I found the uphill going tough but the views are lovely. we completed the Numbat Circuit in about 4 hrs which was a little slow for us being only 12kms... lots of steps but some great places to sit and view the scenery. we were treated with the appearance of an Echidna which was a highlight.

private property

It’s by far one if the best trails in the Perth Hills. Must book before going as an entry fee applies but it’s a bargain for what you get. I wish I’d known about this trail when I was training for Mt Kilimanjaro. Going to Everest Base Camp and the Numbatt trail is a good taster of what’s in store for us. It’s perfect for it. Very well maintained and sign posted.

Please note bookings are essential to walk these hikes as a code is needed to access the gate. A $10 entry fee applies

Sat Apr 13 2019

A really well maintained trail with fantastic views, and changing scenery throughout. Benches and lunch stops are provided along the way too. One of my favourites. My only quibble would be the method of attaining the gate code. Call in advance and best hope someone answers the phone otherwise best laid plans can be scuppered

Thu Nov 22 2018

my favourite if all hills trails. absolutely beautiful. i would rate it as the higher end of moderate due to hills and narrow paths. but its worth every bit of pain. closes 1st nov each year.

Sat Oct 27 2018

Really lovely location for a hike. I found it challenging - undulating track and quick uneven trail paths. Lots of spots to stop and have a pause and check out the view or stop to eat. One of the harder hikes I’ve done. 2-3L of water per person would be wise.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Great place to hike, steep in areas, be sure to call up first and book as they lint the number of entrants to the area. It’s a park reserve for protected wildlife, you’ll need a key code to get past the gate.

Wed Sep 05 2018

Great place to spend a few hours. Some wonderful scenery and some challenges along the way

Fri Aug 31 2018

Amazing. I've trail run and hiked throughout the hills and this is easily one of the most spectacular. I would say it's lightly traffiked and a difficult course though. I ran it in 2 hrs but the average time taken in the sign in book was between 4 and 6 hrs!

Thu Jul 19 2018

Amazing views along the track! Alot of climbs along the track but absolutely worth it! **Note:You do need to pay for the entry in advance!

Sat Jul 14 2018

What an amazing walk. This is a privilege to walk. Access gate with code no problems. Trail markers best we have come across to date within WA. Well looked after and maintained. Over a 1000 steps staggered throughout entire length so little difficult on problematic knees- strap in advance good idea to assist discomfort, but worth it. Well placed bench seats and viewing platforms allowing rest stops taking in the majesty of this incredibly diverse natural landscape. Stunning!!! Time - allow more than u think. We normally bush walk between 4-6kms an hour (7-8 road/ flat) we did 15kms today including all the xtras. Wet weather slowed us also. 5hrs 20mins. But the views amazing u can’t help but stop and smell the roses. Hope this info helps

Sat Jul 07 2018

Great walk, beautiful scenery, very well maintained and marked out trail, don’t rush, take tour time and enjoy the waterfalls and views

Thu May 24 2018

This is one of my favourite hike near Perth and is only open from May to end of October. Specular views and challenging hills.

recorded Numbat Track