Lerderderg Gorge and Spur Track

Lerderderg Gorge and Spur Track is a 16.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Darley, Victoria, Australia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 16.1 km Elevation Gain: 784 m Route Type: Loop

good trail, be prepared to suffer a bit I love it

completed two laps here today, along the Werribee Gorge Circuit (10km) signs say it takes 4.5hrs. Easily completable by 2.5hrs. Bring good quality hiking shoes and be ready for mud after rain.

first time I used this app and it was real handy. I tipped back down to the gorge on the loop track from the 4WD trail. I went anti clockwise. the second climb after the weir is a real ripper. it rained moderately all day so got pretty exposed along the rim . even still the views were spectacular. well worth it. 5 hours to complete as we didn't stop due to the rain.

A gorgeous walk along the river to start the trip. Keep a look out for the marker to start the ascent about 2km in. We missed it and had to backtrack. A very steep ascent. Once at the top, there was a very long stint downhill along a dirt road. Once at the weir, the crossing is a little confusing. You need to go down the stairs on the left side of the gorge, then take the river crossing over about 50m down the track, then look to your right for the marker almost adjacent to the weir that takes you directly up.And it continues up, and up, and up. When you finally reach the top, there is another very long stint along the top of the range for quite a few kms before the final link track 2 back down to the gorge. An extremely steep descent on different rock to the ascent. Take time to stop and take in the beautiful views across the range. Rated it 4 as the dirt tracks were a little boring. The natural formations were gorgeous. A great work out. Around 5 hours total walking time for us.

Fantastic, but challenging walk with a few chilly water crossings. A bit confusing at the weir where to cross. 5.5 hours

long

Quite challenging, some quite tricky sections. About 5.5hr with stops along the way.

Mixture of hiking trail and unsealed road. Not the best marked trail if you are doing the full circuit and would have got lost if were not for this app. Depending on your fitness it’s a good way to spend 4.5-6.5 hours. The anti clockwise route is the harder way round

Went out 6th of April and found this to be a wonderful but very very difficult track. My partner who has a better fitness then me only slightly struggled but for myself i found it very tough. We went anti clockwise and ended with that steep 1km trail down to the car park with dead legs. Due to all the cut away slate it can be easy to slip but all in all the views make it worth it. Over all it took us 6 hours with a couple stops for lunch and to regroup. If you are not fit, do not do this walk as you will hate every minute of it.

A great circuit hike with a couple of challenging steep climbs and descents. Took just over 4 hours to complete. Fantastic scenery.

The 2 climbs on this trail are both highlights but also quite grueling, however the large rim section is pretty uneventful being a vehicle access track and pretty limited view wise. Definitely keep careful watch for the track markers as they’re not always easy to see.

This a great track, it’s the third time I have done this track . Awesome training for a climb coming up on Mount Fuji mid year .Second half of the track is difficult but very rewarding once completed . Found it best to start early as the midday sun is hard with little shade .

We loved this hike. We took the anti-clockwise route. Turning on to Spur Track was quite a shock as it was very steep and a much less well marked trail, however once you reach the top and turn left onto the Lederderg Tunnel track road the path followed a wide track which was much easier underfoot. There was a similar climb up after the dam, but again once at the top you join a much wider track. It’s true there is not much shade, I would say going anti-clockwise the two climbs were amongst the trees so there was broken shade but the remainder of the track was fairly open and I reckon going clockwise you would face the climbs in the open sun and descend in the shade! We look forward to returning in the cooler months!

This trail is not for the lighthearted. I would rate it hard not moderate. It’s difficult in places and the path is often meant for mountain goats. That said, the same things that make it difficult are what make it interesting. Lots of different terrain to ramble/tackle. I took the walk clockwise due to a brainfart (thinking somehow going left would mean anti clockwise - preschool error), but I enjoyed this way. It’s definitely not a bad walk clockwise. Although be warned, I walked right past the turning for spur track. Once I’d realised, I was too far gone to consider hiking back uphill. I continued onto Cameron’s road, my feet thanking me for the bitumen. This mistake added 3kms to the distance until I found a willing car to take me back to McKenzie Flat. In summary, it was an awesome, challenging hike although I’m not sure my feet will ever be the same again. Take AT LEAST 2 litres of water High SPF suncream is a must, very little shade Pack a sense of adventure, you’re going to need it!

Full on 5 - 6 hour hike, steep ascents/descents. Take at least 2 litres of water per person + food. Great views, worth the slog!

A really great location, gets a bit steep and rocky on the Circuit Track but worth the view

Smashed this walk out in a few hours with many stops, checking out the views and water holes (I say holes, because the river was dry). Super nice walk. Opportunity for some sketchy-short rock climbing also.