Cradle Moutain Loop Trail to Lake Rodway and Dove Lake

Cradle Moutain Loop Trail to Lake Rodway and Dove Lake is a 15.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cradle Mountain , Tasmania, Australia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from October until April.

15.9 km
875 m

In Cradle Mountain Lake Saint Clair National Park

A unique place

I hiked Cradle Mountain in early-January and it remains my favorite hike in the whole world. I did (I think) a slightly different route than is indicated here (my route: started at Ronny Creek, Overland Track, Marions Lookout, kitchen hut, Summit Track, Face Track, Lake Rodway Track, and ended at Dove Lake). Bring clothes for both hot and cold weather as the temperature changes just as drastically as the terrain. The variety is what appealed to me most, with the Summit Track being my highlight. As someone else mentioned, the summit portion is basically rock climbing and can be very daunting. Give yourself plenty of time and barrel through the fear. The top is extraordinary. I did it alone, but HIGHLY discourage that (just the Summit Track; the remaining loop is doable solo). There are multiple spots, especially near the summit, where I had to jump up to grab a ledge and hoist myself up (not so gracefully) or precariously straddle a crevice -- a helping hand or boost would have made all the difference. People are extremely friendly and encouraging and likely would have helped me, but I hit the summit late afternoon (3ish) and found myself alone at the top where it's most difficult to navigate. I almost missed the last shuttle at Dove Lake, practically running at the end... Clearly others knew to hit the summit earlier. See my photos for proof of the summit insanity.

Easy at first but the last mile is rock climbing