Cradle Moutain Loop Trail to Lake Rodway and Dove Lake

Cradle Moutain Loop Trail to Lake Rodway and Dove Lake is a 15.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cradle Mountain , Tasmania, Australia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from October until April.

15.3 km
766 m

In Cradle Mountain Lake Saint Clair National Park

Favourite hike so far in Tassie hiking in Snow capped mountains in winter just amazing.

If you’re trying to get to the summit do not follow the trail that AllTrails has posted in here (as of March 2018). You’d be better suited to take the shuttle (or your car if you get to the park early enough -before 7 am) to the Dove Lake stop. I took the Dove Lake Circuit clockwise to Hanson’s Peak (steep with chains but a gorgeous route) you’ll see white poles with red reflectors on them that’s the route. Continue onto the Face Track (pretty strenuous) which will take you to the Cradle Mountain Summit Track. The summit track starts with stairs but takes you to bouldering and climbing. It is not for the inexperienced scrambler. There are parts that are tough alone (if you have short legs) but doable. Sometimes using your knee to prop you up is best. After you’re done with the summit and head down the Overland Track to the Dove Lake Alternate Route (steep with somewhat unnecessary chains). You’ll be back at the bottom and go past the well-known boat shed. It’s beautiful and I would highly recommend it.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A unique place

Friday, June 23, 2017

I hiked Cradle Mountain in early-January and it remains my favorite hike in the whole world. I did (I think) a slightly different route than is indicated here (my route: started at Ronny Creek, Overland Track, Marions Lookout, kitchen hut, Summit Track, Face Track, Lake Rodway Track, and ended at Dove Lake). Bring clothes for both hot and cold weather as the temperature changes just as drastically as the terrain. The variety is what appealed to me most, with the Summit Track being my highlight. As someone else mentioned, the summit portion is basically rock climbing and can be very daunting. Give yourself plenty of time and barrel through the fear. The top is extraordinary. I did it alone, but HIGHLY discourage that (just the Summit Track; the remaining loop is doable solo). There are multiple spots, especially near the summit, where I had to jump up to grab a ledge and hoist myself up (not so gracefully) or precariously straddle a crevice -- a helping hand or boost would have made all the difference. People are extremely friendly and encouraging and likely would have helped me, but I hit the summit late afternoon (3ish) and found myself alone at the top where it's most difficult to navigate. I almost missed the last shuttle at Dove Lake, practically running at the end... Clearly others knew to hit the summit earlier. See my photos for proof of the summit insanity.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Easy at first but the last mile is rock climbing

Sunday, January 01, 2017