Learn more

Walshs Pyramid is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aloomba, Queensland, Australia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,946 feet Route Type: Out & Back

3.7 mile / 6K hike that has a near constant and relentless grade all the way up and down. Beautiful views on the way up and at the top with good tree cover. Be prepared to use your hands on occasion, though nothing is technical.

Make sure you go very early in the morning or late afternoon, or during a cloudy day. The heat makes it harder than it already is! Fantastic views at the top as expected.

Very beautiful view but can be harder if it’s a very hot day!

I love this hike! I've done it twice and am eager to go again. I highly recommend keeping an eye on the markers as you go as there is a couple of spots that you can question which direction to go in. I brought a walking stick the second time and it saved my knees for the way back down. A large part of this hike is out in the open so sunscreen and a wind/rain proof breaker is a good thing to bring. Especially when you have a rest up at the top for the view. We had rain, clouds, sun, all in the one hike. Scrambling up the rock faces is fun. Long pants/ tights are handy too as the plants can be sharp and spiky along the trail. Take your time and have fun

Great challenge! At the same time, strongly recommend begin the track as early, part of track has less tree coverage that make it tougher than you thought

Awesome hike! Absolutely brutal.. but worth it. I like that there’s posts marking the 1, 2 and 3km points. Found the first 1km ok, 2nd and 3rd very steep.. view from the top was stunning though, I was lucky n had a completely clear sky. Took over 3 litres of water and needed it.. Took me 3.5 hours, going very carefully with many stops and a rest at the top.

My second walk and, oh boy! That was hard!! There isn’t a built-up-your-pa e start, immediately you start pretty steep. Really challenging walk but loved it. Views are amazing from the top and there is a viewpoint (ish) half way to the top where you can sit for a breather and snap some photos.

I absolutely loved this walk. It was my first time doing it and I got up super early and got to the half way point (2km) as the sun was rising and I’m so glad that I did. I stopped at halfway and went back down because I’m quite a cautious downhill walker and being that it was my first time I thought I’d see how I went with just the first half knowing that the last 1km is even steeper. But I will definitely be doing it again and getting to the top as the downhill wasn’t as tricky as I expected, except for the few big steep boulders that I half slid down on my butt. Recommend bringing 3L of water and a hat or sunscreen. I’d also start quite early, especially in summer months as there’s not a lot of shade. The views are breathtaking.

Best hike ever. Super hard and challenging. 2h.40m return

You definitely feel a sense of accomplishment after tackling the Pyramid! Allow 4-5 hours for the climb, lunch and picture taking. This is a gruelling walk that is relentlessly UP UP UP! Care must be taken as it is a slippery track with steep rock scrambling, often loose underfoot and sometimes unclear trail markers. The way back down took us equally as long as we had to be so careful. However the view is amazing. Take your time to look around; there is a flag marking an overhanging ledge - absolutely incredible photo opportunities!

This trail is gruesome, especially in the summer heat. Did this today with 2 friends and I honestly think I was 30 minutes away from passing out on the descent because we didn’t bring enough water. Took us about 2.5 hours to get up due to the constant sun and the breaks to conserve water. Took about 1.5 hours to get down. Bring 3-4 liters per person. We have 1.5 liters per person and it simply wasn’t enough. We were practically out at the summit. The hike is constant uphill, with lots of scrambling and roots/rocks. There are portions with constant sun and other parts that have a bit of shade. The descent is tricky due to the scrambles and roots everywhere, so it’s still pretty tricky to do. The view is pretty at the top and it’ll feel very rewarding once you get back to the carpark. But seriously: BRING EXTRA WATER.

I was there on a very cloudy day unfortunately so the view at the top wasn’t so spectacular haha. But the hike was fun and challenging, took about 2,5-3 hours return. Bring water!

Definitely a good one to get your hart beating! Did in 2h29 minutes (without resting at the top) i had to run down because i run out of water! Definitely bring 3liters with you i only had 2 and it wasn’t enough! Not recommended with a 31 degrees sun on your back!

I found this walk really challenging. Very important to look forward and identify the next marker as I took a wrong turn at one stage but backtracked easily to resume. Unfortunately, the top was in cloud cover the day I went.

Took me 3,5 hours including rest on top. And I loved it. The views from the top was great. Also the way up was quite obvious also not much or barely any loose surface. Ready to go again next month.

Excellent hike with very rewarding views at the end. Basically 3km up & then 3km down. Overall quite challenging mentally & physically. Nice that there are now 1, 2 & 3km signs & with this app you know exactly where your at. The 1/2 way mark spray painted on the rock is not entirely correct. Done this 4 times now over the past 10 years, always say "that's the last time"

Great testing track. Great views at the top. Good test of fitness and agility if trying to do it quickly : )

Relentless is a good description. Especially the last km up. Fitness is helpful. Your leg muscles are definitely going to be worked hard. But it's doable and worth it. Just keep going. Took us 3 hours all together (not counting rest and a stop at the top).

Fri Jul 05 2019

This was a tough trek. Not for the faint hearted. It's a constant climb from the instant you start. The time to complete is spot on 4-5 hours. Pack heaps of water. Good shoes are a must, slippery sections on ascent and descent. Well trekked

Sat Jun 29 2019

worth every step for the view. tough hike being that it's so steep. legs were shaking like jelly at the bottom.

Mon May 20 2019

Fantastic! Very steep and relentless, good cardio, but not that long which makes it doable. Great views and great terrain.

Sat May 04 2019

Great trail and views, the peak was in the clouds when we climbed it which was pretty cool.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Need to be fit, but amazing views