Ships Stern, Daves Creek and Border Track Circuit

Ships Stern, Daves Creek and Border Track Circuit is a 16.6 kilometer loop trail located near Binna Burra, Queensland, Australia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 16.6 km Elevation Gain: 774 m Route Type: Loop

Great trail. Has good lookouts, a couple of waterfalls, and one very steep rock to climb. Took just over 5 hrs at a pretty solid pace with some small detours and breaks at view points. I would allow this time as absolute minimum. You’ll need to be reasonably fit as the track goes high and low, giving a good all round workout.

Totally recommend this walk. My GPS showed 20k but I know there's a lot of noise in the recordings so maybe the 16.6 is not too far off

This hike has it all. The lush forest, magnificent old growth trees, lookouts, cliffs, escarpments and stunning vistas. At 19km it's a workout for sure, but worth every step.

This was a beautiful hike. The views were spectacular. Long but rewarding. There is a tea house at the end, great way to end a wonderful hike with a tea/coffee and a treat

We did this hike a few days ago and we were absolutely blown away by it! Lower Ballanjui Falls completely exceeded our expectations. The entire track was perfect for an all day hike. not too steep, and you can't get bored from the views. rainforest, bush, waterfalls.. what more could you want? We did the Ships Stern circuit with a few side trails. It took us all day because of an unplanned 2 hour lunch break at one of the lookouts. oops! 25 kilometres in total! would do it again!

Bit longer than 16kms. Well signed. Would recommend it!

Great Walk. Rainforest, aussie bush, waterfalls, lookouts. Great diversity and a nice way to spend the day. The loop is closer to 21km so allow time for that... and pack enough snacks! The inclines and declines most of the way are pretty steady throughout, no steep gradients. Highly recommend this walk.

Not to bad, half was nice and rainforesty, and the other half was quite dull....nice views though

Starting at 6am meant a torch was needed for 1/2 hour or so. I really enjoyed this walk and I have to say that my growing strength had a lot to do with the pleasure. This is not a hard walk but it isn’t easy either if you are out of shape. I’d suggest going on other trails before you take this on or you may find it difficult. There are some very narrow tracks close to step cliffs, so take your time and be safe. I was 3 hours into the walk before I say another human and there after maybe 100 came down the track as I was walking and running back up and out. The track was overgrown and littered with fallen palms, branches and trunks at times but it was all easily managed. I thoroughly recommend this trail to those with 5 hours and reasonable strength to take it on. It is be gorgeous. I am 56.

Overall a wonderful hike. We did the 19kms loop in around 4 hours time. It never gets boring with all the variety of fauna and views to enjoy. Though if you want to take in all the wonderful things this walk offers you need to give yourself another couple of hours for breaks and photos etc. Did the loop anti-clock wise as suggested by some. Which means park at the last parking in front of the cafe then take the Border track and follow the signs from there on. Most of the times mobile coverage was available and we were able to navigate easily using the AllTrails map .. Definitely recommend. Should be a good challenge for older kids as well.

Just beautiful! Park at the last car park and walk back down the road about 300m, the entrance is on your right. This means when you finish, you will come out near the toilets and your car. We started before the sun came up so we were treated to a beautiful sunrise at the first lookout (about 2kms in). We did side trails and lookouts so my fitbit recorded 26kms and 5h 17m. 13th April- weather was perfect.

Beautiful

We did this track yesterday starting from the lower bellbird point. It was 20km return to the car when coming out of the border track and took 7 hours with 3 meal stops and sunrise. There was a few leeches, which are not an issue, several bush turkeys, cat birds, black cockies, and quite a large python on the track. All in all a good track.

Long walk but great views make it worth it. Recommend taking the side tracks to also see the waterfalls. GPS tracked 23 km with some side trails, not the 16.6 km as suggested.

Love this track, take a headlamp and get to Kooloobano point for sunrise. Have completed the run many times, prefer anti-clockwise (top trail). currently difficulty is alot higher due to obstacles from storms. for easy/moderate running and power hiking allow 2.5 hrs

Amazing, couple of leeches.no worries. Good signage, varied terrain. There are cliffs, very close to track at times,but nothing to worry about . Waterfalls are amazing.

Great variation of dark humid forest and open cold windy mountain cliff faces, lots of fallen trees at the moment after the storms, stop and have a swim in the deep pools at the creek in the bottom of the valley

Really fun to hike, i took all my gear even though i wasn’t camping to give myself a challenge, but it is longer than 19km especially if you do some of the lookouts and waterfalls which are well worth it! Take lots of water too (it was about 30°c when i hiked).

Sunday, August 19, 2018

This track has many beautiful features. Down in the valley you have rainforest and waterfalls. Then you climb to the top of the enscarpment that has fantastic views of the whole Valley

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

The hike is long but not hard. Pretty well marked throughout. Excellent views. Make sure you do the side trips if you can for views as they're worth it. Waterfall and cascades less so. We did the whole thing plus most sides in 6.5hrs including leisurely lunch and short breaks. We are reasonably fit.

Saturday, August 04, 2018

Good walk and not very strenuous.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

This trail has beautiful views but it is not 16.6km as indicated here. The official sign at Lamington National Park states Ships Stern as 19km but my GPS said it was more than 20km. Lots of big fallen trees so be prepared to climb and pull yourself up over them. Scary bits up high on the trail but worth it for the views.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Hiked this track with my son... took us 5hrs and 45 mins. Its one of the most amazing tracks ... it takes you past a waterfall and the climb is just as amazing as walking the bottom. When you get to the ships stern it is the most amazing sight yet!! Loved every minute of it!! Katherine

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Awesome walk, beautiful weather, perfect day

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

A beautiful hike, not for those with fear of heights as cliff edges are a bit hair raising. Took us 9 hours, although we took our time and had two breaks and detoured to view both lower and upper Ballunjui Falls. Beautiful. Was a couple of leeches and tics. Do watch out for snakes. But highly recommend!

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Wow! Absolutely beautiful heathlands plus spectacular views! Check weather though because you wouldn’t want to be caught out there in a storm!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

My most fav trail. I recommend if your doing in summer take lots of water. The top end can get very warm and the long grass makes it very dry and a snake haven. So be cautious when walking this area. I wouldn't say it's a difficult trek but does take 4-5 hours with a good stop for lunch. Starting early morning is recommended to be able to enjoy all the gorgeous views along the way. Take a camera. Not recommend for kids as there are some dangerous cliff edges and I wouldn't want mine there. But most of the trail is easy to walk. Only a few km of up hill. He rest is reasonably moderate.