Learn more

Mount Sorrow Ridge Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cape Tribulation, Queensland, Australia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Length 4.1 mi Elevation gain 2,312 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (20)
Recordings (19)
Completed (59)
Valerie Jacquard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

Very good trail and quite intense. It took us 3h30 return. The lookout is only a metallic plateforme where the view is partially blocked. Do not except to have a nice lunch break there. But you need to continue on the right of the plateforme for 10min to reach a rock where the view is marvellous. But be very careful on the path.

Warren Robb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Scramble

nice hard trail...took 1 hr 40 min each way..great view at top..707m elevation.

Tahni Rush
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2020
Hiking

Well marked path. Left at 9am , reached the platform by 11. Definitely a tough climb especially the first 15 minutes and the last kilometre all up hill. Good fitness needed. Recommend taking bushmans spray to keep the leeches off, they were ferocious. Also a jumper to keep you warm at the top if you wanna go out to the viewing rock (200 meters) past the steel platform. Amazing views. Only took an 1.5 hours to walk back down.

Craig Pepper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 20, 2020
Hiking

Fairly tough track, slippery after rain, but well worth the effort. A great alternative to the sanitised tourist experiences you'll find elsewhere in the Daintree

Landry Legrand
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 28, 2020
WalkingBugsFloodedMuddyOver grown

Réalisé en janvier. Sentier assez difficile et peu entretenu ne pas oublier pentalon pour les sangsues sur le haut ! Et un imperméable car en janvier ça tombe fort ! Sinon superbe environnement tropical

Seb Schn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 29, 2019
MuddyRocky

My girlfriend and I (both 30) did this trail today. It is an amazing hike through the rain forest! But I have no idea how some people got to the top under 2 hours! the whole trip took us 5hrs. It is a bit muddy and slippery so proper shoes are recommended. You also might want to bring gloves, as there is a rope to climb (you don't have to use the rope, it just makes it easier).

Brian Laprairie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 2, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful view at the top. A lot of roots make for a challenging hike up and down towards the peak.

View Brian's Recording
Koen Nimmegeers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 19, 2019
Hiking

Platform at the top is not the best view, go over that platform and hike for about 10minutes and that view is much better!! But that said its a good hike for the 705m, did a couple of times but the best time was In 2h09minutes to the platform (without resting at the top)

Reuben N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 13, 2019
Hiking

Fantastic view from the top! (Make sure you keep walking past the platform like others have said.) It was more difficult than I thought. It took me about 1 hour 25 minutes to get to the top but I was dripping with sweat after those steep inclines. It took me 1 hour to get down. I'm not a super fit athlete, but I'm probably above average fitness for these types of trails. The car park is not very far past the road that goes to the Cape Tribulation/kulki beach. There's a small sign marking the trail, but you probably can't see it well from the car.

Stu Lehr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2019
Hiking

This trail was very difficult. We left too late in the day. Steep, scramble and cables near top. Dense throughout. The view past the first lookout tower is absolutely worth the extra effort and risk. Holy cow! An incredible experience. One of my all time favorites!

Simon White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2019
Hiking

hard, steep walk. great views at the top. definitely continue past the metal look out.

View Simon's Recording
Daniel Tran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2019
Hiking

This was a great trail to do in Cape Tribulation. You’ll make it to the first lookout, which isn’t very impressive. However, if you hike past it about 10 more minutes you’ll get a much better view. There are pink ties that should lead you to the lookout point.

Ernest Lomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2019
HikingRockyScramble
Nate Tenborg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 27, 2019
Hiking

Hiked this in late August so really not any flowers in bloom. The hike is quite challenging however I’m not the worlds fittest human and still managed to make it up and down in 3 and a half hours. The view from the top is incredible, hiking through the rainforest is a plus but if you’re not up for a workout I’d skip this hike as you can get similar experiences on the area for less effort

Eric Copenhaver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 18, 2019
Hiking

This is a very neat songle-track trail with plenty of palms and roots criss-crossing the trail. The vegetation is unlike anything in the States! There's a bit of "scrambling" where you have to hold onto a rope to ascend a steep hill in the middle. There are also several crops of steep steps, so it's a tough workout on the way up, which took my wife and me ~2.5 hours (~1.75 hours down). We didn't continue past the viewing platform but these reviews make it look like we should have (the next Outlook sounds close and cooler)! I wanted to see some giant spiders (my wife didn't), but we didn't see any. The address sent us past the trailhead in Google Maps; a GPS stamp from my GoPro suggest GPS coordinates -16.078151,145.4670294 might be a better pin to map to. There's a small parking lot across Rykers Rd. from the marked trailhead, so look out for that.

Claire Le Breton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2019
Hiking

I’ve done this hike twice now. Took me 2 hours on the way up with the most challenging part 300-ish metres from the top. If you continue past the viewing platform (although the mapped trail ends) walking a further 10 minutes will bring you to another look out on top of a rock, this look out is much, much more rewarding as you are sitting on the edge of the mountain!

Kate Stephens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2019
Hiking

We climbed this in August - so this is a review for the “dry season”. This was a fun track although we were worried after reading some of the comments on here and WikiCamps... Maybe some of the comments were an exaggeration or maybe just vague with detail. My boyfriend and I (28 &29) are relatively fit but not fanatical mountain climbers. We enjoy walking and often climb mountains (generally no higher than this). We got to the top of Mt. Sorrow in 1.5 hours. It was really cloudy at the top so we didn’t spend too much time there. We were down, back in our car all before the 3 hour mark. We took 2 litres of water and drank half. We took plenty of food and snacks but shared one banana between both of us... we didn’t feel the need to eat much although we were peckish after finishing. We wore basic trail ASIC shoes and found the track fine.... if it had been pouring rain it would have been quite muddy and the roots would become slippery but the roots and vines were actually a blessing in disguise in the dry! We saw no leeches.... although maybe different in the wet. Definitely a recommended hike in the dry! If you’re fit and keen to get to the top... you don’t need 6 hours! Enjoy :-).

Sandra Vaessen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2019
Hiking

Nice and fun walk but pretty tough! Took us 5 hours including 30 min. ar the lookout and a few drinking stops. As others before me mentioned, you can't walk around at the top as there is only a 4m2 platform. View was nice but not spectacular (was pretty cloudy)

Criqy User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2019
Hiking

Steep trail. Pretty hard. Not for everyone. Risk of falling. Be careful. Only one view at the top. You can get this view at another look out. Follow us on Instagram @thecriqs

JoLi Willis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 11, 2019
HikingRocky

Outstanding hike with a beautiful view of rainforest and beach. Be aware that from Port Douglas, you will have to get into a ferry in order to get to the Tribulation Cape. The roads leading to the start point of the hike are narrow. Amazing view from Mount Sorrow.

Hannah Elliott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2018
Hiking

My husband and I hiked this trail in August and really enjoyed it. It's pretty steep most of the way up, but there were very few other people on the trail and it was a nice way to enjoy the rainforest away from the crowds. The views from the top are gorgeous, but there's only a platform to stand on with no real space for picnicking. My husband and I are regular hikers and were able to finish the trail in just over four hours. We were sore the next day, though! We also found a great spot for ice cream on our way back home from the hike. Daintree Ice Cream Company makes the ice cream from fruits from their orchard, which means you get some usual flavors (banana and coconut) as well as some more unique, such as soursop and wattle seed.

Zuzie Warren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2018

Hiked this trail December of 2017 on our honeymoon. We are two Canadians that thought it would be fun. We found this trail challenging but worth it. We only saw 2 other people the entire time . Near the start it is well marked but as the hike goes on it gets steeper and less obviously marked. You will follow pink ribbons on the trees, they’re pretty evenly spaced, so if you haven’t seen one for a while, you need to retrace your steps. Wear long pants because there is leaches. Also, there are lots of warning signs about cassowaries, we didn’t see any, but we could hear them.

Jason B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2018
Hiking

Well marked trail to experience the rainforest. The trail is pretty vertical (lots of root steps) so some scrambling has to be done (one section has a hand rope). Definitely bring lots of water and snacks. The lookout is small and it can get pretty crowded. The views are ok. There are a lot of roots which are very slippery when wet.

Colin Potts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2018
Hiking

The trail is amazing going through the rain forest. The view at the top is amazing. It’s not an easy trail but it’s definitely worth the effort.

Fay C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 1, 2018
First to Review

The hardest trail I wish I hadn't done. The trail itself was kind of boring (no variety, just a continual upwards slog) and the view at the top was not nice enough to be worth it.