Mount Warning Trail

Mount Warning Trail is a 6.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tyalgum, New South Wales, Australia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

6.8 km
663 m

Began this hike/climb at 4AM. It was dark, but with torches it was doable. The first 15 minutes of the climb were the hardest (in my opinion) as it’s pretty steep but it levels out and becomes more gradual after that. My partner disagrees and says the last 15 minutes of the ascent was the hardest as you have to climb one handed or in the dark. The chain helps here a fair bit.
We saw and heard many birds, and as we went in winter.
When we arrived at the top, the sun was just about to rise. The experience was breathtaking and would definitely do it again.

Notes: Please don’t take a drone and ruin it for everyone else. The path is quite muddy so hike boots are advisable. Gloves would be nice at the top as there is a bit of wind.

Very enjoyable and grateful no crowds on a spectacular Week day. Apple Watch measure round trip 10.2 km so don’t know where difference. Kilometres from sign at beginning. Small area at top for spectacular views

Great cardio hike. Lots of stairs and a scramble at the end. The best for Sunrise

Nice walk to the top! Round trip was a total of 2h45’ (1h20’ to get to the top) with a few stops.
Better to do it in summer time.
Start walking at least 2 hours before the sunrise to make sure you don’t miss it!
Surprisingly, there were many people hiking despite the rain and the cold weather.

Its all uphill from the start of the walk, many stairs! The track winds back and forth, until you reach the best part, the rock scramble to the top. The view is 360 degrees all directions, and happily spend some time resting and rehydrating, taking in the view before decendinf back down. Popular at New Years time for sunrise

Great workout! Legs were shaking when we got back down.

Great hike, only done it twice so far; the last time was for the sunrise. highly recommend having a good level of fitness as it is all stairs.

I completed this in 6 and a half hours, including approx 20mins spent at the summit. I am not super fit. I did not overly prepare. I did take water, wore appropriate clothing and footwear. Take plenty of mini breaks (read: 30secs-1min). You’ll make it. :-) I do plan to do this again at some point. It was cloudy when I climbed, so am hopeful I can pre-plan (as much as I can) for no clouds.

Decent trail with moderate difficulty. Did it in 2.5 hours with just a few stops and about 15 mins at the top. Saw a 6’ snake on way down. Great workout and lovely scenery.

Loved this hike. I’ve hiked a lot and this trail is moderately hard. The rock scramble is by far the coolest part of the hike. It’s not technical but I recommend taking your time and go at a pace comfortable for you.

The hike took us about 5 hours with multiple stops. We could have done it in about 3.5-4 hours if we didn’t stop as much. Not a lot of views until you’re almost to the top.

Only negative: be aware of poisonous creatures along the way. Aka: don’t touch anything. We did see a small black red bellied snake on the ride of the trail and stayed far away from it. Highly poisonous.

Plan to hike it on a clear day so you get 360 degree views. We only had one day in our schedules for it and it was quite cloudy. We did wait for the clouds to break and were able to see all the way to Byron Bay.

If you’re using a GPS, the address for the hike is about 3-4 miles short. You will need to continue up the winding road to where it dead ends to start the hike.

Epic hike. I’d recommend adding it to your travel plans if you’re in the area.

Steep but not overly challenging walk - the last section involves a rock scramble aided by chains. Worth getting up early to catch sunrise from the top!

Fantastic morning hike.

fantastic loved the scrambling rocks

Monday, March 27, 2017

Great trail! Only made it half way, as was with 2 kids (8 and 10), but they loved it too.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Amazing summit with perfect views, scramble at the top makes for an extra acomplishing feeling.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Great summit hike with descent views. The chain at the final 50 meters is a big help for those that don't like the exposed feeling. Highly recommended day hike!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

I did this hike while living in Brisbane. I had some friends visiting from the US and we decided to give this a go. My friend isn't the hiking type and found it to be challenging but was able to complete the out and back with no problem. For those that are afraid of the exposed feeling, there is a chain that you can hold onto to assist you and provide a sense of security for the last 50 meters or so. Please check the weather as it is not fun to get caught out on this peak in bad weather.