Cowan to Berowra via Great North Walk

Cowan to Berowra via Great North Walk is a 10.6 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located in the state of New South Wales, Australia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

10.6 km
547 m
Point to Point

My wife and I took our time....and it took a long time! Over 4.5 hours not taking into account a lovely meal at the Berowra Waters Inn. We are occasional trail hikers and would definitely consider this to be challenging in terms of the combination of terrain and distance. I’m not sure if it is “moderate” as we saw some people struggling. I personally loved it.

I read all the reviews before hand and I would suggest that the rating of moderate is a HUGE stretch. It was challenging and at times extremely exhausting. That being said, it was exhilarating and I would be willing to do it again. Stopping at the Berorwa Waters Inn for lunch was a good idea.

This trail was about 14km from Cowan station to Berowra Station according to the sign postings for the Great North Walk. That is 8km to Berowra Waters and then 6km to Berowra.

It had wonderful scenery which changes often. There was a lot of butterflies and fungi growing when I visited (April). Plus the river was lovely.

I found this hike challenging, however, I am not super fit. There was a lot of ups and downs with little flat and sometimes there were challenging obstacles. The track has steps cut into rocks and some hand rails etc. to help with the more challenging parts.

Enjoy!

Love this track. Lots of changes in scenery and small challenges.

I did Berowra to Cowan in 5 hours.

This is a hard track! Lots of varied environments - and it's just beautiful once you get down to Berowra Waters.

But there's a good 45 minutes of rock scrambling once you get past there. Very hard ascent - challenging - but really rewarding.

Once you think there's a clear path forward (after that) it takes you down and up again.

If you are fit (and confident enough) this is a much superior walk than the Jerusalem Bay one.

Great views with great company