Hermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir

MODERATE 1 reviews

Hermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir is a 33.6 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Vernashen, Kotayk', Armenia that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for mountain biking.

33.6 km
711 m
Point to Point

mountain biking



wild flowers


historic site

Description of the Trail This biking trail passes through the Hermon and Herher villages, in Vayots Dzor province. It is located 32km east of Vayk, on the right bank of the Arpa River. The trail leads from Hermon village by a gravel road right up to the top of a hill, at a height of 2,240m. From this height, you may view the uncountable mountains of this province and feel the warmth of the sun. Vayots Dzor is a region of valleys and gorges, streams and rivers, high mountains and mysterious caves. Leaving Goghtanik village on the left, you will descend via a zigzag gravel road to the valley of the Herher River. Riding along the Herher River, you will cross the Karmrashen and Herher villages, and later, the Herher water reservoir. Riding for another 1-2km, you will reach the end of the trail. Description of the Monument The St. Sion Convent The St. Sion convent includes two churches and a chapel (8th century) and is located 1km northeast of Herher. The Saint Astvatsatsin Church (13th century), south of St. Sion, is also a nave vaulted church. There are khachkars (cross-stones) with texts from the 13th -17th centuries, in the cemetery of the convent. The Saint Gevorg (Saint George) church (19th century) is a three-nave basilica with two pairs of pillars, located in the village. The dilapidated chapel of St. Gregory the Illuminator (Saint Grigor Lusavorich) (1296) and the small, Saint Gevorg (St. George) (1,297) are located south of Herher. The small Kapuyt fortress (13th – 14th centuries) is located at top of the mountain, 1km southeast of Herher. The splendid Hermon monastery (Knevank, 9th – 15th centuries) is located on the mountain, 3km south-west of the village of Hermon. Herher Water Reservoir This is an artificial reservoir in Vayots Dzor province, intended for supplying water for irrigation of fields, pastures and other residential areas of the community. Flora The flora of Vayots Dzor province is lush and diverse, with sunny mountain slopes, variegated flowers and shrubs that will accompany you till the end of the trail. Winter is severe in this province, and summer is very hot. Reed and bulrush are widespread in this province, particularly in Yeghegnazor. Two species of juniper and several species of wild pear, typical of the area, grow in the sparse woods. There are numerous flowers and blooming shrubs. The blooming flowers provide nectar for bees from spring till autumn, that is why apiculture is also a major industry in the Vayots Dzor province. Such medical herbs as sage, chamomile, thyme, mariamakhot (Teucrium polium), mint, and more, grow in this area. Fauna There are bezoar goats and Armenian mouflons in Vayots Dzor province, who are protected by the state. The Caucasus, with its 500 species of animals is one of the districts of the world, where the majority of animals living there, are registered in the Red Book. Among them are the Armenian mouflons and bezoar goats, who can be found in the Khosrov Reserve, Vayots Dzor province and Zangezur Mountain range, in Armenia. There are also bears, wild boars, wolves, red foxes, wild rabbits, rodents, such reptiles as green lizards, frogs and snakes (adder, Gurza), and more, in the forests. Safety Ucom and Viva Cell-MTS networks are always available in the territories between the village of Hermon to Herher, and the Herher water reservoir. In case of an emergency, call 911, a service available throughout Armenia. Beware of dogs guarding flocks of sheep. Technical Specifications of the Trail The best time to visit: April till November Yerevan is 144km away from Hermon, so the road there takes 2hr. 26min. and costs 14,400 – 15,000 AMD (if you take a taxi). The distance of the biking trail is 34km. The duration of biking is 3.5hours. The area is located at an altitude of 1318-2240m above sea level. 80% of the road is covered with sandstones, the remaining 20% is asphalted. The best drink to have on hand is bottled water. How to Reach the Trail To reach the above-mentioned trail, you need to get to Hermon village, in the Vayots Dzor province. It is most convenient to travel by taxi. Taxi services are quite affordable throughout Armenia. We recommend taking a cab with a taximeter. ©State Tourism Committee of RA