Help keep our trails and parks open during COVID-19 by committing to social distancing. Some trails or park services may be closed this weekend so check with local authorities before heading out.
Learn more

Sevaberd, Geghama Mountains, Akna Lake is a 18.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sevaberd, Kotayk, Armenia that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for mountain biking.

Length 18.1 mi Elevation gain 4,314 ft Route type Out & Back

Mountain biking



Wild flowers


Historic site

Waypoints (0)

Description of the Trail This biking trail begins in the village of Sevaberd, in the Kotayk province. The village is located at an altitude of 2,000m above sea level. You should get to the village of Sevaberd, and start riding about 1-2km down the paved road. After 1-2km, the road up to the Geghama Mountains is covered by sandstones. Here, you will see rounded hills standing next to each other, typical of the Geghama Mountains. When you reach the plateau of the Geghama Mountains, at a height of 3,030m, you will see the crystal clear, Akna Lake. The area is rich with fragrant flowers, and diverse plants, a place where the mountains and the sky have been mirrored in the lake for all eternity. A cemetery memorial of Yezidi people is also located near Lake Akna. The trail is long, and the road is covered with sandstones, with cold spring water sources along the way. While traversing the trail you will probably see lots of birds, especially eagles, actively searching for food during the autumn months. On your return path, you will have a chance to ride from the end of the trail right up to the town of Abovyan (the nearest big town, 8-10km away), and visit the Saint Poghos-Petros Church at the foot of Mt. Hatis, as well as the Saint Hovhannes Mkrtich Church, in Abovyan town. Flora The flora of the Geghama Mountains is very grassy, curative and healthful. There are no forests and trees along the sierra as it is located 2,800 meters above sea level. Meadows blooming in the Geghama Mountains create a ravishing combination of colors. The alpine nature is marked with meadows and small mountain lakes, and the frigid shores of streams and rivulets descending from the mountains are surrounded with alpine flowers. Here, you see the dark blue alpine violet; also chamomile, immortelle, thyme, nettle, dandelion and bellflowers in the lowlands. Fauna In the Geghama Mountains once can see many various species of wild animals. In the petroglyphs found on the rocks of the Geghama mountains, you can see the diversity of animals, with large and small groups of wild bulls and oxen, Caucasian deer, a lion, roes, domestic and wild horses, foxes and wolves, many species of dogs, a boar, lynx, leopard, hare, several unknown types of small animals, various types of reptiles, also a duck, goose, stork, swan, and a partridge. Many of these animals (jerboa, hare, wolf, fox, lizards and snakes) are still living in Geghama Mountains today. There are also many birds, especially eagles and vultures that can be spotted from far away. Safety Ucom and VivaCell-MTS networks are partially available between Sevaberd and Lake Akna. In case of emergency, call 911, a service available throughout Armenia. Beware of dogs guarding flocks of sheep. Technical Specifications of the Trail The best time: May - October Yerevan is 36km away from Sevaberd, so the road there takes about 48min. and costs 3,600 – 4,000 AMD (by taxi). The distance of the biking trail is 29km. The duration of biking is 7hours. The area is located at an altitude of 2,000-3,030m above sea level. 90% of the road is covered with sandstones, the other 10% is paved. The best drink to have on hand is bottled water. How to Reach the Trail To reach the above-mentioned trail, you need to get to Sevaberd village, in the Kotayk province. It is most convenient to travel by taxi. Taxi services are quite affordable throughout Armenia. Taking a cab with a taximeter is recommended.

UV Index
Reviews (1)
Photos (3)
Recordings (0)
Completed (2)
State Tourism Committee Armenia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 4, 2017
Mountain biking