Help keep our trails and parks open during COVID-19 by committing to social distancing. Some trails or park services may be closed this weekend so check with local authorities before heading out.
Learn more

Armenian Alphabet Monument, Stone Lake, to Orgov

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1)
Ashtarak, Aragatsotn, Armenia

Armenian Alphabet Monument, Stone Lake, to Orgov is a 31.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ashtarak, Aragatsotn, Armenia that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for nature trips and mountain biking.

Length 31.5 mi Elevation gain 5,479 ft Route type Point to Point

Mountain biking

Nature trips



Wild flowers


Historic site

Waypoints (0)

Description of the Trail This biking trail promises you magnificent nature sights. The trail begins from the Armenian Alphabet Monument, in Aragatsotn province. The Stone Lake (Kari Lich) is 30km from the Alphabet Monument. You will reach the Lake by riding along a winding paved road leading up to the slopes of Aragats Mountain. You will be able to admire the beauty of the landscape while driving, sparkling rivers, low mountains, small forests on the slopes of the mountains, gorges and eagles hovering in the clear sky. You won’t even remember how you reached Stone Lake, after the 30km long road. After viewing the panorama of Mount Aragats, you can access the main trail via the ‘Aragats’ Research Station, and whisk down for about 900m towards the Amberd medieval fortress. From the height of the road leading from Stone Lake to Amberd you can see all the mountains and picturesque nature of the area. The trail continues from the historical Amberd Fortress via a quality sandy-gravel road through the gorge and along the right bank of the Kasagh River, until it reaches Orgov village, in Aragatsotn province. The return trip is from the village of Orgov. Flora The semi-desert, dry mountain grasslands and alpine zones follow each other along the slopes of Aragats, with rivers flowing through beautiful gorges and valleys covered with short grasses. People come here from different places to behold Aragats, enjoy the alpine zone of the Mountain and the meadows, decorated with colourful flowers, such as blue forget-me-nots, alpine violets, wild lilies, poppies, bellflowers, and more. The flora of Amberd and the Amberd gorge differs from the nature of Aragats. In spring and summer the nature awakens here, and in autumn the colours of forest trees and shrubs create a perfect palette. Both sides of the road from Byurakan to the Armenian Alphabet Monument are covered with forests, where people spend their holidays. Fauna This biking trail is full of adventures, but rarely will you see dangerous animals here. More frequently, you may come across foxes and wolves, rodents and rabbits. During very hot days there are lots of reptiles (lizards, snakes), rarely turtles, in the territory of Amberd. Safety The Viva Cell-MTS network is almost always available in the territory of the Armenian Alphabet Monument and from Stone Lake to Amberd. In case of emergency, call 911, a service available throughout Armenia. Beware of dogs guarding flocks of sheep. Technical Specifications of the Trail The best time is: May – October Yerevan is 35km away from the Armenian Alphabet Monument, so the road there takes 45min. and costs 4,000 AMD (by taxi). The distance of the biking trail is 52km. The duration of the trail is 7-8 hours. The area is located at an altitude of 1,500m above sea level. 40% of the route is covered by sandstones, and the remaining 60% is asphalted. The best drink to have on hand is bottled water. How to Reach the Trail To reach the above-mentioned trail, you need to get to the Armenian Alphabet Monument. Yerevan is 35km away from the Monument. It is most convenient to travel by taxi. Taxi services are quite affordable throughout Armenia. Taking a cab with a taximeter is recommended.

UV Index
Reviews (1)
Photos (2)
Recordings (0)
Completed (1)
State Tourism Committee Armenia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 4, 2017
Mountain biking