Lake of the Three via The Pillar

Lake of the Three via The Pillar is a 18.8 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lago Argentino Department, Santa Cruz, Argentina that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options.

18.8 km
902 m
Point to Point

rock climbing

This variation of the standard Lago de los Tres will require a shuttle transfer from El Chalten to the trailhead at El Pilar, 17-km away. Transfers can be easily arranged in town for $10 USD or less. The reward for this is several fold: A) you get to avoid the initial climb, leaving you fresher for the final push up to el lago, B) you get to see some great scenery that you would otherwise miss, including the Rio Blanco valley, Piedras Blancas and glaciers.

Was staying at Los Huemules so spotted a car down at the trailhead in El Chalten then started in at El Pilar. Pretty flat trek into Poincenot and Blanco with the steep ascent starting after the camp. I think we did +3200' elevation gain so that was a decent hike! Nice weather at Laguna, took pix, went over to view Lago Sucia too, quite spectacular! On way out took in Mirador Fitz Roy which was okay. A cool hike for sure, bring your wind and rain gear and dress warm. Enjoy!

Amazing hike as long as the weather is cooperative. We had perfect weather for two hours starting at El Pilar, but Lago de los Tres was a hellacious climb through heavy snow...in the middle of summer! The lake was barely visible. After descending from the lake, the weather became clear and warm again. Very odd experience, but I guarantee this hike would be amazing if the weather at Lago de los Trea was clear!

An amazing trail. Make sure you ask your host for recommendations on the best weather day before you head out. Pick your day carefully. We met some who couldn’t see it at all. The only sad part was the lago at the base of Fitz Roy was still frozen over and covered in snow due to the late winter this year. We were there early nov 2018. The uphill “last” mile to the summit is no joke. The rocks will take their toll on your feet. When I climbed into bed that night I realized my feet were throbbing. This trail total from the hotel to peak and back to the trailhead in elchalten was about 15 miles with about 3k ft gain. When you take this route you get the added benefit of passing the mirador for piedras blancas glaciar. It’s beautiful. I added photos of the trail in, part of the rocky trail up (it gets worse) and of the glaciar.

This trail is the same as the fitz roy trail except that you dont double back. We took a remis to the hotel where you start. It is a relatively flat trail until you join the other fitz roy trail. Unlike the fitz roy trail which has more uphill from the start, this trail def has uphil, but not as much. You walk through a beautiful forest then get to the dreaded uphill rock climb off shoot. This is where the trail joins. You climb over very very rocky ground at a 45°-75° incline for about a mile. It is no joke. We were there on a spectacular clear day. The lagoon at the base was sadly still frozen and covered in snow the “extra” lake over the crest to the right wasnt and was a clear bright blue. But not the turquoise the base suposedly is. :( we went nov 6th. we walked back the el chalten way to our hotel. Amazing hike. Was about 13 miles. The other trail out and back is longer.

This is a better trek than the out and back. The incline is less and one does not see the same thing (not that one gets bored with the views).

I got a bus ticket for $10 at the El Chaltén station the night before. I was picked up at my Hotel. 30 min ride.

Bring proper attire, Once I ran out I filled my water bottle from the running streams. One can taste the turquoise!

This trail is the same as the fitz roy trail except that you dont double back. We took a remis to the rl pilar hotel where you start. It is a relatively flat trail until you join the other fitz roy trail. Unlike the fitz roy trail which has more uphill from the start, this trail def has uphil, but not as much. You walk through a beautiful forest then get to the dreaded uphill rock climb off shoot. This is where the trail joins. You climb over very very rocky ground at a 45°-75° incline for about a mile. It is no joke. We were there on a soectacular clear day. The lagoon at the base was sadly still frozen and covered in snow the “extra” lake over the crest to the right wasnt and was a clear bright blue. But not the turquoise the base suposedly is. :( we walked back the el chalten way to our hotel. Amazing hike. Was about 13 miles.

This is the most beautiful hike we did. Took the bus from El Chalten to El Pilar and started our day from there. The weather was beautiful and we had a blast. Our independent recordings of the trail showed a longer distance (15.3 miles), but it is true that once we got up, we continued the exploration around the laguna. I was very tired and I had to take some Ibuprofen to help with my feet pain (I have a severe plantar fasciatis). Wonderful hike!!!!