Learn more

Huemul Circuit is a 41.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near El Chaltén, Santa Cruz, Argentina that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 41.3 miles Elevation Gain: 9,563 feet Route Type: Loop

This can be done as a 4 or 5 day backpacking trip. The first day connects El Chalten to the Laguna Toro campsite. Day 2 connects the Laguna Toro Campsite to the Paso del Viento (windy pass) to the Paso del Viento campsite. Day 3-A Optional extra day: Hike on Viedma glacier or Day 3-B, Paso del Viento campsite to Paso Huemul to the Lago Viedma campsite. Day 4 or 5 - Lago Viedma campsite to Bahia Tunel, arrange transport (or walk) back to El Chalten.

Great loop. I'd fill up on water before final large descent if you don't have a filter. can be completed in 9-15 hrs by experienced trail runners

This was a great trek! Some of the best views I’ve ever seen. We did 20 miles the first day to get ahead of storm. The weathers wasn’t great, it rained a good amount, snowed a little and was extremely windy. We lost the trail a lot and had to back track or cut straight up the mountain to connect to the trail which was exhausting. The hike had a couple difficult areas steep inclines and declines but over all the hike wasn’t that bad. There was one unexpected obstacle, the rope to the pulley on the second travers was broken so I climbed the cable and re attached it. We finished in 3 days and got back to el Chaltén by 2pm. One tip, don’t carry water there are plenty of water sources.

Amazing views on this trail but felt extremely technical to me. I’ve done a decent amount of backpacking trips but this one absolutely requires perfect weather because there’s lots of room for error. The first zipline is a little technical and requires some strength. The pass is fine but can be dangerous if windy, but the trail leading to it is pretty confusing. The third day down hill is so painful and took me three hours to descend. We combined days two and three which was 20 miles and super challenging. I loved this hike but as a not expert hiker felt it was a little too advanced. Also doing it in 3 days was killer but necessary for incoming weather.

Fri May 24 2019

10/10

Wed Feb 27 2019

Beautiful !!!

Tue Feb 19 2019

View on one of biggest glaciers at second day. Amazing camp at third day, with icebergs on lake.

Tue Jan 01 2019

The Huemul Circuit is currently my favorite hike in the world, so a return trip to Patagonia meant I'd head back there to hike it a second time. We spent 4 days and 3 nights hiking around Cerro Huemul with views of the Southern Patagonia Ice Field, Glaciar Viedma, and Glaciar Río Túnel starting from the town of El Chaltén in Argentina during January 2019 to bring in the New Year. If you want more details, check out my extensive trip report at https://travel2walk.com/2019/10/08/trip-report-patagonia-january-2019-part-2-getting-in-huemul-circuit-return/ Our Youtube video companion to the trip report is at https://youtu.be/hSqV0i6HvvA

Sat Mar 25 2017

This is a fantastic hike. Some of the trip reports available here will help you plan, and you should - there's a couple of technical bits to consider if you are only used to regular well marked hiking. For a longer alternative, do the popular hikes on the north (ie hike lago de los tres -> down the lakes madre and hija -> laguna torre). From Laguna Torre, instead of heading back to town with the crowds, it's possible to cross Rio Fitz Roy (zipline) and take the Paso de las Agachonas. Study this pass carefully, ask the park rangers for current conditions and be ready to navigate (note that the All Trails map does not show this section, but it shows on the topo I bought in town). From the pass, the trail descends some 2000ft along the Arroyo Piedritas drainage all the way to the main Huemul trail, along Rio Tunel. The total distance was about 60 miles, and I got to see a lot of the park. I did this solo in end of March 2017, weather was fantastic except for a couple of hours of near white out while climbing the Agachonas Pass (print topos are your friends). After Laguna Torre, I was mostly by myself. I'd be back for sure!

Mon Apr 22 2019