hiking

dogs on leash

Mount Pilchuck State Park is a 1,893-acre day-use park that features mountainous alpine terrain with diverse scenic and recreation attractions. The main recreational attraction of the park is the three-mile trail to the summit and the old fire lookout. The trail begins at 3100 feet above sea level and winds through an old growth forest to alpine heather and large rocks at the summit of Mount Pilchuck (5324 feet above sea level). The hike is strenuous and in the summer can be very crowded. At the top is an incredible panoramic view of the Cascades, Olympics and Puget Sound. The trail is usually covered with snow until midsummer.

Hiked Monday 19Feb. What a beautiful hike in the snow. The access road was very snowy and loaded with deep potholes but passable. The trail was well maintained and very easy to follow especially considering the blast of snow the mountain got this weekend. Crampons or micros are nice to have but not necessary. We didn't wear ours at all on the way up and only wore them on the descent because they were new and we wanted to try them out. The snow just made everything that much more beautiful. My tracker said 4.5 miles in 1 hour and 45 minutes.

hiking
12 hours ago

Just hiked Heather trail on presidents day. The weather was gorgeous but cold!!!! The trail was covered in snow from start to finish. Hiking boots were necessary, crampons were a bonus but not needed. The first half is pretty easy and then the switchback and elevation began for the second half. Heather Lake was gorgeous. Would definitely do again!

hiking
2 days ago

More of a swim than a hike. Lots of character! Wear wool socks.

I went in November and trail didn't have snow till half way up.we didn't have right shoes or microspike but we able to go the top and great view!

hiking
4 days ago

very easy hike and so beautiful!

hiking
4 days ago

Wonderful hike up to the lake with the dog. Few inches of fresh snow. Lots of water along the trail.

hiking
7 days ago

Good hike, not many people out. I definitely recommend wearing waterproof boots and bringing along microspikes. It’s a wet trail and towards the top there’s some ice and snow. Great views of the frozen lake and the mountains nearby

love this hike. Today was the first time I've done it during the winter and i wasn't disappointed. Definitely wet with snow and ice up towards the top so just take it slow, layer up a little and wear good hiking shoes/boots and you'll really enjoy this hike. Always so rewarding when you get to the top, especially this time of year. 2.5 hours total with 15 mins at the lake.

hiking
9 days ago

Gorgeous area! Micro-spikes help but not necessary. The snow cover lake is a must see.

Road to the trail head is closed for the season at Heather Lake trail head, be prepared to hike an additional 5 miles up the road to Mt pilchuck’s trail head.

hiking
9 days ago

Amazing !!!

hiking
9 days ago

this place was real hard for me and I lost my microspike!

hiking
13 days ago

Very fun and easily accessible hike. The trail has water running through multiple parts and there’s a good amount of snow at the lake. Nothing regular hiking boots aren’t capable of handling. The dog had a great time as well.

hiking
13 days ago

very rocky
much bugs
I think this is best suited for early summer
Went late summer and it almost wasn't worth it

14 days ago

I’ve hiked this trail several times, in the winter and summer. One of my favorites. Takes a few hours and you’ll get your heart rate elevated. The lake at the top is amazing. Highly recommended.

14 days ago

Wet Wet Wet ! I mean it . You will walk in water in a lot of parts of this hike this time a year .
If you don't have EXCELENT WATERPROOF hiking boots , you will end up with wet socks :-)
but the view at the lake is amazing .
It's a challenging hike with the snow .
But it's beautifull!
have fun and be carefull out there .

hiking
15 days ago

One of my husband's and I's favorites!

hiking
16 days ago

very nice hike. absolutely gorgeous all the way up. Lots of streams crossing the trail so I definitely wouldn't wear tennis shoes. Also, the snow at the top is pretty deep which prevented us from going around the lake. We did see some small avalanches at the top which was very cool. Coming down was quite fun trekking through the show. Crampons not necessary but definitely wouldn't hurt. Overall, great hike and we'll be back to do it in the spring/ summer.

17 days ago

Amazing view

hiking
18 days ago

Wet, Wet, Wet 90% of this trail is walking through water trickling down the trail. Rocky, with many roots, several waterfalls flowing. The other 10% is packed snow/slush. Glad we had our trekking poles and Yaktrax for traction. Always enjoy this trail in any season.

Load More