nature trips

views

06/11 no poison ivy, just beautiful! Went at about 7am and it was a little chilly. Super easy, great starter for the day.

1 month ago

Great hike. I skipped the last mile. I’d recommend people treat it as a 2 mile up and back and try to do it in under 2 hours. The first half mile is the only hard bit and it’s not bad. If you do that part late enough in the day it’ll be in the shade. Unfortunately the actual valley part is usually in the sun since the valley isn’t too deep. Great views.

1 month ago

I loved this hike. As others have said, it is steep at first and then a nice easy walk through the beautiful Hidden Valley. At the far end of the valley you have a choice – you can head up to the right through the rocks to get a very cool view of the entire valley (see posted pic) or you can continue straight and meet up with the Moab Rim Trail. I did both. Once at the Rim Trail, rather than heading left towards the Colorado River I went right towards the dead end/overlook. What an amazing view of the entire Moab valley. It was only about an additional mile and well worth it. Panorama posted.

1 month ago

Super steep to start, but if you can stick with it, the valley at the top is awesome. Not much shade. This was a great, lightly trafficked trail, off the beaten path in Moab.

Went here May 11 and it was very full of poison ivy! It’s everywhere and you can’t avoid it! Be careful this spring and summer.

Ein sehr schöner Trail mit wunderschöner Flora und interessanten Aussichten. Selbst für Kinder geeignet. Wir haben gemütlich 3, 5 h gebraucht.

Very easy. The markings in the stone are outside the canyon so you simply can drive up and look. Ended up doing a bit of exploring and had fun.

off road driving
2 months ago

Absolutely beautiful!! Took 5 RZRs thru this on a Saturday. Took 3 to 4 hours. One of the best! Creek was not too full and it was evening when we came out at the Hwy. Gets pretty rough during the last 2 to 3 miles. Take your time and stack a few rocks. Maybe a winch as there are some large ledges you have to climb towards the end.

Great off-road quick trip with beautiful views!

3 months ago

Super kid and dog friendly! My kids loved this hike the most out of the 5 we did in the Moab area. They loved the scenary, hiking terrain, and the end “special” spot :-)

Quick and easy!! Beautiful sights

The beginning is steep and rocky, but a good workout. Hidden Valley is gorgeous, but flat for a long ways. Overall a great hike though!

3 months ago

Beautiful day for a great hike! As others have said, there’s a fairly steep climb to the top of the cliff, then things flatten out in the Hidden Valley. According to the placard at the bottom, it’s two miles to the pass, which makes a natural turnaround point for a shorter hike, then another mile until the trail meets the Moab Rim trail. I had initially rejected the idea of doing the complete loop with the Moab Rim trail, because I thought it might be heavily trafficked with 4x4s, then briefly reconsidered when I talked to another hiker where Hidden Valley meets Moab Rim. According to her, there’s little 4x4 traffic until the trail gets close to the road, and they watch out for hikers. In the end, decided to go back the way I came on Hidden Valley to get the great views of La Sal on the way back, but I’d think about doing the complete Hidden Valley/Moab Rim loop (or vice versa) in future. I spent 3 h 40 min on Hidden Valley with lots of stops for pictures and a stop for lunch. Crossed paths with maybe 15 people during that time, mostly hikers, a few trail runners. Trail is easy to follow and in great shape right now, it got a little windy in parts but mostly blue sky and bright sun. Definitely recommend!

4 months ago

Toughest part is the first half mile or so but it’s definitely worth it! Going at a leisurely pace it took my family and I about 3 hours to get to the petroglyphs and back.

trail running
4 months ago

I call this trail The Mullet, it is business in the front and party in the back. I took it on as a trail run and man do you have to earn that first 1/2 mile or so, after that... INCREDIBLE. Insane scenery everywhere you look and just enough mix of technical fun and long pacing stretches not to mention the trail as shown above is pretty much a perfect 10K, though there are plenty of options to stretch it further. If you are looking to escape the crowds at the parks here in Moab, this hike is a must!

6 months ago

Great hike. The entire trail is snow covered right now for the first few miles, and the first part of this hike is steep, so I used my Yaktrax for the first time and had no trouble at all. It was obvious how to go based on the packed pathway through the snow. The flat part through the narrow valley was pretty cold right now. After about two miles there is a short uphill section to a ridge, and you have a couple of choices. It looks like if you go straight you will descend down to the Moab Rim 4X4 trail, but I went right and ended up walking for .5 miles on a snow free and much warmer path below a red rock cliff. I think that eventually descends down to the 4X4 trail as well. I will have to try this again in the spring when there is no snow and I can look for the petroglyphs.

7 months ago

Nice short trail. We climbed up to wall to the edge and walked around to the natural amphitheater and it was beautiful.

Super easy hike.

In response to an earlier review: The only time there would be a waterfall is after/during a good rain.

8 months ago

Steep switchbacks to the valley, then smooth sailing. The trail is also a petroglyph jackpot!

Nice hike in a small canyon. Dry time of year so we missed any chance of seeing the waterfall.

on Hidden Valley Trail

8 months ago

Gorgeous hike! The trail begins with a steep climb and some rock scrambling. Once you Emeterio The Valley it is flat. If you take the trail to see the petroglyphs you will have another climb.

11 months ago

First time hiking in the desert, and we made some pretty stupid mistakes; not checking the length of the trail, not bringing enough water etc. Ended up in a bad situation, but that's far from the trails fault! Really cool views and rock formations. Once you get out of the canyon and circle around the arch, there isn't much to look at. I would love to tackle this one again when better prepared.

camping
11 months ago

Some friends and I were actually there in Sept 2015. We camped at one of the sites along the trail. Very beautiful and quiet. Nice short trail, clean sites. Had to watch for poison ivy though, it was rather abundant in some places. All in all, I would love to go back. Would definitely recommend if you're in the area

Holy mosquitoes. We only made it out of the car for 5 mins and we were covered with bug bites. We never made it.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Tough at first then easy. Don't let talk of shade fool you unless you go late afternoon. We yikes about 130 full sun 106 degrees

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Too many mosquitos and be careful of poison ivy

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Very buggy at the end and didn't want to swim in the stagnant waters but a lovely hike thru the canyon worth it if you have an extra 20 minutes in Moab!

Saturday, July 01, 2017

We loved this hike! The petroglyphs were so cool.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Wanted to warn future hikers that the end of the trail near the pond is teaming with poison ivy.

Monday, June 05, 2017

I love this trail! The hike was soooo hot but well worth the journey to the petroglyphs. Bring lots of water and good company this time of year (June).

Load More