Relatively small but very popular, Bridgeport State Recreation Area lies adjacent to the North Platte River on the north edge of the town of Bridgeport on U.S. 26-U.S. 385. It totals 197 acres with 119 acres of land and 78 acres of water in several sand pit lakes. Bridgeport had its beginnings during the 1930s as a sand and gravel pumping operation. During the early part of World War II, gravel from Bridgeport was hauled to Alliance to build the concrete runways for the paratrooper base there. The area was obtained by the Game and Parks Commission for development as a recreation area in 1952.

No one has reviewed this trail yet. Be the first!