Explore the most popular walking trails in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore with hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers and nature lovers like you.

hiking
7 days ago

Beautiful wooded trail. There are a lot of little hills, but nothing major. The spur to the lake is dunes, and definitely the most challenging part of the trail.

I HATED this trail!

Many reviews of this hike were really positive and said that it had a variety of terrain. 85% of the trail is sand dunes, with the remaining 15% is forest. The forest part IS quite nice, but also quite short. Had I known so much of it would be really monotonous looking sand dune, I would not have gone. Before I had even reached the midway point, I was cursing the sand and just thinking about how much I hated this trail.

Clearly some people really like this trail, but I was not a fan.

Great variety of terrain- great views!

hiking
26 days ago

Great hike! Lake Michigan just beyond post 27. About 4 miles round trip.

hiking
1 month ago

Not sure how this trail isn't ranked higher. Perfect hiking trip with a scenic payoff.

Agree with review below, a favorite for the lower peninsula. Recommend heading out clockwise...reaching the water last. That way you can look for Petoskey stones as long as you want. Otherwise, you have the remaining hike looming. Terrain changes are amazing. A favorite for sure

Really pretty views. We were there in late March and didn’t know what to expect. Ended up catching a sunny say and ended up pleasantly surprised by a fantastic view of a wintey/spring-mixed Lake Michigan!

Beautiful

Great hike and great views. Be sure to take plenty of water.

Iiiiiiiki n go k
K need m

hiking
2 months ago

This hike is all about Elevation but when you get to the top it will be well worth it. Great Views of Big Glen Lake and Lake Michigan.

hiking
2 months ago

One of the best views you'll see of Lake Michigan. The Dune puts you 260 feet almost straight above the lapping waters of Lake Michigan. The lookout point is about 0.6 miles from the trailhead. The .6 mile hike will be tough to some since it's a pretty good incline. However, the trail does offer wooden steps which makes it easier and there's no need to rush. relax and enjoy the quit and peaceful nature and when you get to the top, you'll be thankful that you made the hike. Check out the video I shot, video was shot on my GoPro Hero 4 sessions. https://youtu.be/gtxLWxdoV3k

alot of fun in winter great hike kids love the loop

Easy trail beautiful scenic lookout

hiking
4 months ago

Spectacular views, trails well maintained.

hiking
4 months ago

Great, tough hike! We kicked off our shoes and walked in socks only. It was helpful since the sand bogs down worse in shoes! We actually took our kiddos (6 & 3) and they were tough cookies!! Once we reached the lake there were about 12 people there. Great secluded spot and worth the effort to enjoy the peace at the lake

One of my favorite hikes in Lower Michigan. Excellent views and diverse trail.

hiking
4 months ago

Very difficult - bring water. But the views and the dunes are incredible! Even better are: Sleeping Bear Point Trail or Empire Bluff Trail or Treat Farm Trail.

hiking
5 months ago

Hard dunes, but worth the effort!

hiking
5 months ago

This was quick and pretty cool.

Amazing sights!

Fun hike with the kids. More than manageable outside of them wanting to continually go up and down the narrow steep dune hike to a beautiful overlook!

Exhilarating hike in mostly sand. Lots of amazing views.

hiking
7 months ago

Great hike. black outer trail, and walk to Lake Mi great workout. green trail cuts black trail through the middle, very mild terrain.

Great views and easy hike!

hiking
7 months ago

Great dune hike. Best done on a cooler day.

I felt it was a very tough hike but well worth it. There are a ton of amazing views of the lake and the beach was very nice with amazing views of the islands.

hiking
8 months ago

Really neat experience climbing up a sand dune and down again. Pretty steep hill but definitely doable with a nice view :) Take some water along.

hiking
9 months ago

AWESOME views. About 9 bug dunes to the beach, and then back

hiking
9 months ago

Hiked this trail on a late Sunday morning. We first stopped at the beach, which was gorgeous. The water was crystal clear and there were only a few people on the beach. The trail is well marked with blue posts and as always, hiking in sand adds a different level of difficulty to the hike. The views are incredible throughout and towards the end you are able to "cool down" by hiking on stable ground through some forest. We only passed one person walking in the opposite direction and seemed to have the trail to ourselves. It did seem as if the beach became more crowded when we finished as the parking lot was full of cars and bikes.

Load More