In 1878 a system of reservoirs was constructed to provide water supply by holding back the Sudbury river, to supplement the Lake Cochituate system in Natick. These new reservoirs were Sudbury, Whitehall, Hopkinton, Ashland, Stearns, Brackett, and Foss. In 1947 the Whitehall, Hopkinton, Ashland and Cochituate Reservoirs were turned into State Parks, and in 1976 the entire Sudbury System was officially reclassified as an emergency water supply. Today only the Sudbury Reservoir and Foss (Framingham Reservoir No. 3) are classified as a reserve drinking water supply. The DCR owns and manages 4,943 acres of land in the Sudbury Reservoir watershed system.

No one has reviewed this trail yet. Be the first!