Located between Atlanta and Athens, this popular park features a 1792 log fort built by settlers for protection against Creek and Cherokee Indians. Today, visitors come to Fort Yargo for its wide variety of outdoor recreation and scenery. Mountain bikers and hikers can test their endurance on 18 miles of trails. A 260-acre lake offers a large swimming beach, fishing and boat ramps. The park's heavily wooded disc golf course is exceptionally challenging. For a unique camping experience, visitors can reserve lakeside yurts, which are like canvas and wooden tents. Each yurt has furniture inside and a fire ring outside. Fort Yargo State Park is a beautiful location for outdoor weddings, reunions and other celebrations. Visitors have a choice of numerous facilities for all budgets, ranging from $45 to $155, plus parking*. Group shelters include kitchens, grills, tables and chairs. Group Shelter B is enclosed, holding 100 guests, while Group Shelter A is open-air and accommodates 80 guests. Both the Nature Center Pavilion and Beach Pavilion have lake views. Scenic picnic shelters are good options for smaller groups and budgets. Wedding parties of 20 or less may prefer the gazebo along the Bird Berry Trail. Facilities are shown on the park's photo gallery. (*Park staff can arrange to have party hosts pay for guest parking.)

Well maintained easy trail. Main parking lot is currently a mess the area is under construction so parking is becoming an issue due the park being highly trafficked. Found a couple areas where there's a bunch of debris and it looks like it's been there for a while. Don't be intimidated by the Heart Attack Hill is literally a tiny hill.

trail running
10 days ago

Been running the inner and outer for years. Definitely a go to if you’re in the area!

Easy trail. Didn’t like how there’s no proper parking spot as it is under big construction at the moment.

pretty and easy. there were some detours and walks through campsites which made it not great but trail well maintained

Nice place to come for a easy walk in the woods. Very beautiful in the fall!

A great easy trail to just jump on with nice variety. very pretty, well maintained. One of my favorite.

mountain biking
3 months ago

Decent and fun ride for us (and I'm a beginner)! Some hills but not impossible. Good combination of lake views and woods as well.

An easy but a decent hiking trail which surrounds the lake in the Fort Yargo State Park.

mountain biking
3 months ago

great ride. enjoyed it.

Favorite trail at the park. Challenging, but nice shaded trails, cool views, and dog friendly. 10/10 would recommend to a friend!

i love coming here when its time to escape go for a walk with your family or sit by the water with a good book .. it is rather busy on weekends but over all its a great place

One of my favorite trails,not sure I would agree with the "easy" rating tho. Heartattack hill will get you. have seen hikers turn around 1/4 of the way up.

My husband and I hiked this trail today. We hiked it counter clockwise which, in my opinion, is slightly more difficult than the clockwise direction. We stayed on the path and the GPS said it was 6.4 miles.

walking
5 months ago

Very easy, well maintained, and well marked (much better than last year). It's virtually flat the entire way and it is NOT 6.7 miles... My wife and I both tracked on GPS, and we were on the marked trail the entire time. It's between 5.6 and 5.8 miles. However, there is an outer loop intended for bikes that could be used to make this longer if desired. The signs say it's 12 miles but they are wrong about the inner loop too.

We averaged 19-20 minutes per mile walking all the way around the lake. There's nothing making this trail moderately difficult.

Update: looks like they fixed the description!

long and hard for me that's what she said

Very nice , mostly wooded with Great Lake views.

mountain biking
7 months ago

I think this is a super fun loop. It's like a rollercoaster crossed with Return of the Jedi, trees can be tight in some sections significant wildlife rideable up until 10 p.m. Bring bright lights. Monster Mile is a must it's a great technical side loop.

awesome bike trails

backpacking
9 months ago

I liked this trail. I hiked the interloop yellow trail that curves around the lake. The trail is very easy with only a few climbs, and their were very nice views around the lake. I thought the trail was actually marked pretty well. I didn't need to pull my map out once. I would hike this again.

We enjoyed this beautiful place last weekend.

We followed the Yellow trail markings which is not exactly The Fort Yargo Lake Loop on AllTrails, but it's close; following the Yellow trail cuts off a small portion next to the lake. Our GPS said 6.2 miles. Easy trail, very well marked, not terribly crowded particularly on the opposite side of the lake. Very minor ups and downs. Pretty.

lost the trail twice, but mostly our easy distraction.

Saturday, January 06, 2018

piece a cake trail. got a bit lost once I hit road area but I have to rate this trail as easy...

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Easy hike around a shallow lake. No hills to speak of. At points the trail was difficult to follow, especially when the trail hit roads or the campground.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Friday, September 29, 2017

nice easy trail. took my 2 little dogs and they loved it!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

I just loved.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Great loop for hiking. Nice scenery. Trail could be marked better - easy to get off the inner loop (7 mile hiking trail) and onto the outer loop (15 miles - bike trail)

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Great trail system at this park. Ran this loop in 1:35. Trail could use some better marking in some places as there are multiple spurs and easy to make a wrong turn. All furry pets on the trail were properly leashed. Trail is mostly in the shade along the bank of the lake with a handful of spots in direct sun.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Gps sends you to employee entrance. Stay on 29 through winder and turn on broad st. You'll see the sign. Typical ga state park fine. But trails hard to find and follow.

Load More