walking

kid friendly

wild flowers

river

no dogs

trail running

wildlife

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, named for an American explorer of extraordinary courage, is a feast for the eye. The park protects 10,000 acres of primeval redwood groves, a lush undergrowth of rhododendrons and azaleas, and banks of ferns against giant fallen trees. Established in 1929, this predominately old growth coast redwoods park is bisected by the last major free flowing river in California, the Smith River. Almost all of the park land is water shed for the Smith River and Mill Creek, a major tributary. The park has about 20 miles of hiking and nature trails, river access, a visitor center with exhibits and a nature store. Drive Howland Hill Road (gravel-not recommended for trailers) and stroll in the Stout Grove. This park, along with Prairie Creek, Del Norte Coast, and the National Park Service's Redwood National Park, are managed cooperatively by the National Park Service and the California Department of Parks and Recreation. These parks make up 45 percent of all the old-growth redwood forest remaining in California.

Still closed due to landslide

3 days ago

Beautiful trail!!!

5 days ago

Love this trail! My husband and I went to Stout Trail and enjoyed every minute of it. Beautiful views of the Smith River and a couple of benches a long the way. Highly recommend it.

P.s. There's no parking entrance. It's on the side of hwy199 right before you cross the bridge where it meets up with the 197. Blink and you might miss the trailhead.

Not a difficult hike, but probably wouldn't recommend it with small children only because you have to walk looking down a lot due to a lot of roots that grew threw the trail. If you're not paying attention you're likely to trip. My husband and I enjoyed this trail very much especially because it ended at the creek. We also saw a deer on the trail

Nice family trail. No uphills or downhills which makes it easy for small children or anyone who can't walk much.

Did this trail w/ an 8 and 5 year old. So it's not hard. Leads you to the beautiful Smith River and runs into the Hiouchi trail. The drive there was also breathtaking!

5 days ago

Short flat trail great for wander through the amazing Redwoods.

6 days ago

6 days ago

8 days ago

My wife and I hiked this trail today and loved it. We encountered a few other hikers along the way, but overall pretty much had it all to ourselves. Between the magnificent trees, the picturesque stream, excellent trail quality and early fall colors, we enjoyed the whole of the experience. We'll definitely return.

11 days ago

Excellent hike. Beautiful, smells fresh, amazing trees!!!! End falls are small but nice. One of my all time favs.

Very easy hike, great way to get a view of the red wood trees. You can hear lot of nature sounds too strolling through here

This is not a challenging hike, but is more for plant lovers who enjoy walking slowly and paying attention to all of the diverse species growing along this short trail. I saw carnivorous pitcher plants, wild ginger and plenty of ferns. One plant I did not see was poison oak. I took my dog, he enjoyed it too!

24 days ago

Loved it! Took me 1:55 out and back. Heads-up that the falls are about 10 mins or so past the Boy Scout Tree SIGN not the tree. Maybe that's self-explanatory to everyone, but wasn't to me.

Went at 8 AM and didn't see a soul until my way back when I saw a solo woman and an older couple. As I was driving out, saw nearly 15 groups of people coming in. Worth noting, I did this trail solo with no apprehension.. minus my brain seeing all kinds of crazy things in the trees. :)

Based on the comments, I thought the road in was going to be WAY worse. It wasn't too bad. Take it slow and keep going!

As far as the complaints about noise.. I didn't hear anything. Or rather, I couldn't hear anything over the sound of my heavy walking and breathing. Haha. In all seriousness, I heard a LITTLE bit of traffic once I got to the tree.. but is it nature's fault we encroached on their turf?? Nope. Chill, and enjoy the breathtaking scenery.

24 days ago

This trail follows south fork of the Smith a few hundred feet above the river along the slope of the canyon. Highlights include diverse plant life, occasional views of the river and the verdant green slopes of the canyon. I also heard shooting and I think there's a shooting range on the other side of the river. The poison oak is present along the whole trail but gets much worse the last half mile stretch before the river. I took my dog on this trail since I didn't see any postings saying otherwise. It's a good hike for dogs since there don't seem to be too many in the area. I did this hike on a beautiful September day. I was surprised with how much running water there was. Really nice to see.