nice short walk through the woods, ideal for an evening

walking
7 days ago

This isn't a bad walk, although for me personally, I prefer walks with more to look at. 80% of the walk is just woodland and rocky paths with the remaining 20% fields with sheep! That said, our dog spent the majority of the walk off her lead and thoroughly enjoyed herself. If you want a walk that's not too testing, a decent length, reasonably quiet and one where you can let your dog run around freely, then this is a decent walk.

Beautiful views and a lovely walk but definitely prepare for the rather steep incline about 2/3rds of the way round.

Really fun route , few steep hills would definitely do it again

hiking
8 days ago

Really beautiful woodland for much of the route, dogs can be off lead a lot of it.

walking
rocky
15 days ago

we did this walk today my partner and I and two of our children aged 12 and 7. it was extremely warm out today but was shady under the trees plenty of places to rest of needed but we were ok plodding on. lovely views at the top

Beautiful walk, directions spot on. We have a working dog and he was off the lead 90% of the walk. Peaceful walk, will be doing this again.

Very nice long walk through the woods and then backfill following the river back into Masham

Fantastic walk, especially if your dog (like mine) enjoys a splash around in the water!

Lovely walk, great open space with beautiful views. We found it was great for dog walking.

A lovely hike that offers various habitats and views. Beginning in Sancton the hike takes you through woodland before emerging onto a country lane that leads into North Newbald. You then begin an ascent up onto the Wolds before descending and walking along a valley. Finally you'll join the Wolds Way for a short way before turning left and making your way back to the start in Sancton. This is a lovely hike with most of it on flat ground.

hiking
flooded
muddy
2 months ago

Great trail but had to deviate as flooded. Fab views and great with a dog as mostly off leash (which our mut loved)

walking
2 months ago

Really lovely walk, lots of nice views. Thought it would be okay for dog to be off lead but there are quite a lot of sections where that's not possible

A really beautiful route. Lots of opportunities for the dogs to be off lead.

hiking
muddy
2 months ago

Gorgeous views but ankle deep mud on most of second half of the route. I’m going to wait for weather to improve before I do it again!

Nice easy walk around Malton and the surrounding countryside.

walking
muddy
2 months ago

I completed this walk today along with my dog and thoroughly enjoyed it. I managed to get parked on the roadside for free just before carlton Road so saved a few pennies on parking. Some of the route was quite boggy due to the recent rainfall mainly through Monk Holme woods and the return leg through Riccal Dale so a decent pair of boots is definitely recommended. For the majority of the walk we had off lead walking , we only came across two fields with livestock where his lead was required. One field just before Monk Holme woods and one just after the campsite as you cross the footbridge and climb up between the farm buildings. There are a couple of other fields with sheep in, with a fence in between so you don't have to walk directly through them. This route was interesting throughout, with quite a few steep climbs so gets the blood pumping a but definitely made worthwhile by some of the views. All in all a very nice walk and an easy route to follow.

hiking
blowdown
flooded
2 months ago

I would suggest that in anything other than dry months that this is more intermediate than easy. slippery hills take their toll and slow you down to a crawl. very steep in some places but a good mix of trails.

hiking
muddy
2 months ago

hiking
muddy
rocky
2 months ago

Good little walk, with some special views, the walk itself is gentle with a couple of steeper areas. The final peak didn't feel like a peak but the decent down through the woods on a muddy trail was fun. Finding a tree swing also a highlight

great walk through beautiful woodland, the dog absolutely loved it, will definitely be going back

Showing results 1 - 27 of 447